• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 1:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
567 posts
6 upvotes

workaround for my new data plan

hi , i current have a speakout phone with no data.

Over black friday ewekeend, i just bought data plan (fido network, $15 3gb plan , including lg tablet) offered at wireless waves .

Now to make use of data plan, my initial plan is to put sim card into new lg tabet ,and then hot spot my own current phone.

My question is...instead of using lg tablet as my ....kinda "wifi egg" , is there any small device (online or at any shop) that can connect to sim card ?

thanks
Tc
12 replies
May 8, 2009
2255 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Your best bet is a dual-sim phone.

Next option is a $100 Android phone to hotspot yourself.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
567 posts
6 upvotes
so currently i owned unlocked samsung s6 (using speakout sim card)

in addition, i actually have new LG G5 (locked to FIdo) i notice it has dual sim slot,

so my question, if i put in my speakout sim card and new sim card (from Wirless wave) into LG G5.

i certainly expect my data plan will work there, but will my phone network work ??

TC
Sep 6, 2011
183 posts
149 upvotes
LG G5 from FIDO does not have a two SIM slots. The other slot you're looking at is for the micro SD card.

You are making this too complicated.

You have two options:

1. Use your S6 and carry around the G5 (or your LG tablet) as a mobile hotspot with your 3GB data plan in it. If you make calls or text, you are charged pay per use, READ your contract for the 3GB plan (you would know what would happen when if you read your contract).

2. Buy a dual SIM phone and sell your S6 and G5. I personally have a dual SIM phone so this is what I would do.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1172 posts
107 upvotes
Here
Get a dual sim phone or keep your single sim phone and port your Speakout number to a VOIP service like Fongo.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4269 posts
488 upvotes
NORTH YORK
love0715 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:15 pm

Over black friday ewekeend, i just bought data plan (fido network, $15 3gb plan , including lg tablet) offered at wireless waves .

Now to make use of data plan, my initial plan is to put sim card into new lg tabet ,and then hot spot my own current phone.

My question is...instead of using lg tablet as my ....kinda "wifi egg" , is there any small device (online or at any shop) that can connect to sim card ?

thanks
Tc
Congrat for your acquiring the coveted plan and a free tablet. I tried but could not make it.
Do you want to keep your existing speakout #?
If not you can just use the Fido data SIM and operate a VOIP app (Textmeup ) on your phone to call and to text.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Oct 29, 2008
294 posts
95 upvotes
L4J
Check "Dual SIM Card Adapter Converter" solution.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
love0715 wrote:

thanks
Tc
Or maybe your looking for something like this..

https://www.amazon.ca/KuWFi-unlocked-Ho ... le+hotspot

All you have to do is insert your 4G/LTE SIM card from Fido into this hotspot and take it with you where ever you go. It is battery powered so no need to plug into laptop. It's unlocked so you can use it on any carrier. And you can use just your one phone.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1220 posts
305 upvotes
Ottawa
love0715 wrote:
is there any small device (online or at any shop) that can connect to sim card ?
Yes there are tons of them, just search for '3G hotspot' on eBay. Basically put the data sim in the device and tether it to the phone via wifi.

There are now also a new class of product that works the other way around: you put the voice sim in the device and the data sim in the phone.

http://www.simore.com/en/dual-sim-card-adapter/box.html

There are other similar ones from different companies that work more or less the same.

These are usually much smaller than the traditional hotspot devices since these use bluetooth instead of wifi. The battery also last much longer.

Your 3rd option is to get a dual sim adapter for single sim phone. These may or may not work depends how much room you have in your phone.

http://www.simore.com/en/dual-sim-card- ... im-3g.html

If I were you I would just pick up a cheap dual sim phone instead.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4269 posts
488 upvotes
NORTH YORK
love0715 wrote:
Most people have wifi at home and office. Use a cheap cellular phone (used or even with cracked screen) to do hotspoting in your vehicle (or briefcase/purse) when outside .
Your data SIM works for all cell as well.
A better alternative is a dual SIM phone. But if you are an iPhone user, you have no luck
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
Jan 16, 2011
373 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
danieltoronto wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:08 pm
But if you are an iPhone user, you have no luck
I know someone has the latest iPhone running on prepaid plan with no data (insert palm face here). Bluetooth based mobile hotspot like the NeeCoo adapter usually works.