[OP]
Nov 12, 2016
420 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto

Workbench diy.....top ?????

Hey guys
I am trying to make a wall mount workbench and
Let me start by saying I don't have table saw ,sander or planer .I do have circular saw and a mitre saw .

I want the top to be 5' ×2'

Can I buy a flush door made of hardwood and can cut to the above dimentions and use it as a top .if so how durable will it be
Or can I buy really straight and flush 2×4 or 2×6 wood from lumber stores if they even sell like that and glue them or screw them together .does stores like HD or lowes sell really straight wood ?

Don't want to buy the tools that you actually need to make the top plain and smooth as sander or planer as I won't need them afterwards so want to keep the cost low .

What do you guys suggest .
30 replies
Dec 15, 2015
381 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
Are you building a work bench or a smooth finish table top? Get a piece of plywood and cut it with your saw. If you want is smoother, get two maybe three sheets of sandpaper and a piece of wood and block away. It's a small area, wouldn't take any time at too sand down the rough spots. If you're worried about not cutting straight, get a level and clamp it down and use it as a straight edge,

Or just get the the hardware store to cut it for you...Purchase a 4x8 sheet, ask for a 5x2 piece cut and cut of the rest however you want to fit your vehicle.

You could make every cut needed to build a house with a circular and mitre saw.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2016
420 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
Trying to built a workbench but prefers a smooth top ....thinking of cutting a plywood 5×2 and than screwing a piece of 14 gauge galvanize sheet on top and finishing it with moulding around at the edges
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30289 posts
5283 upvotes
Ottawa
Workbench? Are you going to pound on it? Put a vice on it? Or is basically going to be a bench you can just put things on? Regardless, it should be at least 1 inch (2.5 cms) thick.
IKEA has some real nice wooden table tops if you want a nice finish. Just screw and glue it to a 3/4 inch piece of plywood.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6698 posts
3710 upvotes
Edmonton
Your idea of a door isn't a bad one at all. I had some very serviceable garage countertops made from solid core doors pulled from a university renovation. They were heavy and flat and smooth, plus they wouldn't dull tools like a metal surface would. You could get some at a local "ReStore" type place (building material recycling).

C
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1735 posts
251 upvotes
I wouldn't spend the $$$ on a new solid wood door just for a workbench. 3/4" ply should be fine, assuming the perimeter is supported. 5'x2' is pretty small.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1592 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
yah best too is to use 2 layers of ply. the top can be a "Sacrificial top" so you can screw into it / hammer away on it sand etc. once it gets too beat up for your liking unscrew it and put down a new one.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1537 posts
412 upvotes
Look in the IKEA as-is section, they often have slabs that are meant to be island tops. I have one that is prelaminated particle core (both faces and all edges), about 1.5" thick, and 25"x73"
Apr 8, 2010
557 posts
213 upvotes
toronto
if you want smooth, i'd go for a sheet of sacrificial MDF screwed into plywood. I know a lot of folks do not like MDF but i find that it has it's uses. it's flat, very flat and you'll not need to sand it down at all
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30289 posts
5283 upvotes
Ottawa
abstract808 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:05 am
I wouldn't spend the $$$ on a new solid wood door just for a workbench. 3/4" ply should be fine, assuming the perimeter is supported. 5'x2' is pretty small.
2 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood can be more expensive than a slab door.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6698 posts
3710 upvotes
Edmonton
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:35 am
Especially with a recycled slab door... Of course, if the OP is going for a 5x2 workspace, they can get both 5x2 pieces from one door (and have some left over).
C
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3478 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Just a thought, if you are in Toronto you can get a membership in the Tool Library and "rent" their tools for a few days at a time (good if you need a mitre saw, circular saw, etc.). Far cheaper than buying these tools.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1605 posts
638 upvotes
Alliston, ON
What about using a bamboo countertop. It's a bit more money than plywood, but probably much stronger. I think Lowe's has a 6ft one for $175
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1735 posts
251 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:35 am
Reasonably certain you can get two 5'x2' strips out of a single 4'x8' sheet of 3/4 ply.Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Around $40 last time I checked...can't see any new solid wood door slabs being around that price.