Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5163 posts
1010 upvotes
Whitby
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 11:35 am
2 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood can be more expensive than a slab door.
True but he only needs 1 sheet since his dimensions are 5x2.
Jul 11, 2017
220 posts
129 upvotes
Build the top out of osb, and put laminate floor on top.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
1650 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal
The way I did mine is I have 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together.
Then I found some pre-finished maple hardwood on Kijiji and installed it on top. I think that hardwood cost me around 50$. (Lots of people selling their left overs from flooring jobs.)
Beautiful and really solid.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1330 posts
266 upvotes
For my workbench top, I found a solid door on Kijiji, for free. The lady was using it as a desk top, between two filing cabinets. Before i found that, I was looking for a solid door, and was finding them for around $20/$25 also on Kijiji. I got lucky with the free one. The top is smooth, not that I need it to be. I would check on Kijiji if you're not in a rush, someone also suggested on the clearance section of IKEA. Also, you could use a laminate top from someone doing a kitchen renovation, check Kijiji.
Sep 9, 2013
502 posts
154 upvotes
Ottawa
Check the free section of Kijiji always some good free materials there to make a work bench, you might even find someone giving away a work bench.
May 28, 2007
247 posts
52 upvotes
Peterborough
I covered mine with flooring underlay (1/4") . Helps deaden the noise when pounding and it is a cheap surface to replace if it gets beat up. Even used it under the radical arm saw (sic). Places it on top of plywood 3/4". For easy removal I just emailed it down with 1" 18ga air gun.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2016
303 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Was in local HD and found a laminate counter top
25 "×60" .....I can live with those dimentions and it's on clearence for 30 $ .what do you guys think .....would it work out ok if I use it as workbench top ....
Images
  • Screenshot_20180205-174353.png
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39579 posts
1590 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SumeetJ918740 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 5:39 pm
25 "×60" .....I can live with those dimentions and it's on clearence for 30 $ .what do you guys think .....would it work out ok if I use it as workbench top ....
Are you only ever using it against a wall? Because if not, that backsplash is going to get in the way. Even if you don't think you will... you probably will think about it and say, Damn, why did I go with this.
**BRAND NEW** 3M Filtrete Furnace Filters As low as **$5 each!**
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Nov 12, 2016
303 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Yes always would be against the wall with pegboard on Wall
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3312 posts
379 upvotes
Ottawa
SumeetJ918740 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 5:39 pm
Nothing wrong with this as a workbench countertop but it really depends on what you will be doing on your bench. This surface would be great for cleaning up oil, paint, and other spills but not so great for other woodworking activities - the slippery surface would annoy me and the occasional slipped drill or chisel would chip the surface. If budget is your concern and the dimensions are right, go for it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7604 posts
1034 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 9:54 am
Workbench? Are you going to pound on it? Put a vice on it? Or is basically going to be a bench you can just put things on? Regardless, it should be at least 1 inch (2.5 cms) thick.
IKEA has some real nice wooden table tops if you want a nice finish. Just screw and glue it to a 3/4 inch piece of plywood.
notfromqc wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 10:21 am
Look in the IKEA as-is section, they often have slabs that are meant to be island tops. I have one that is prelaminated particle core (both faces and all edges), about 1.5" thick, and 25"x73"
vodka wrote:
Feb 5th, 2018 4:03 pm
For my workbench top, I found a solid door on Kijiji, for free. The lady was using it as a desk top, between two filing cabinets. Before i found that, I was looking for a solid door, and was finding them for around $20/$25 also on Kijiji. I got lucky with the free one. The top is smooth, not that I need it to be. I would check on Kijiji if you're not in a rush, someone also suggested on the clearance section of IKEA. Also, you could use a laminate top from someone doing a kitchen renovation, check Kijiji.
I would go the ikea route as well, they have some nice solid wood tabletops (eg Gerton) and countertops/butcherblock, check on Kijiji as well.
Aug 24, 2007
218 posts
74 upvotes
Mississauga
As some else mentioned check out free section in Kijiji and look for a desk that you can will work for your use. A lot of people are trying to get rid of old desks and the top will work perfect for your project.

I did something similar a few years ago except I found someone in my neighbourhood throwing one out and I was able to make use of it. It didn't even need to be cut and worked perfect.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1255 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
OP, I have an exterior door that I'll sell for $10. It's about 30" x 6', steel shell on both sides with a solid oak core. It is smooth as a baby's bottom, painted white. Has a hole predrilled for the knob which you could use to run cables. I'm is west Toronto, PM me if you're interested.
Dec 25, 2010
260 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
What did you guys use for legs on your workbenches?

I want to put a couple 32" cabinets under my workbench and I was thinking of either the IKEA Gerton or Olov adjustable legs. Are they sturdy enough?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
1330 posts
266 upvotes
I used all 2x4 lumber (left over from other projects, some picked up from others throwing out during summer time) to make my frame.

Frame: Image

With table top (free solid door) and I also installed a vice on the end: Image