Careers

Working for the City of Toronto, ask me anything!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2019 10:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Working for the City of Toronto, ask me anything!

I have been working with the City for a little while now, I know a lot of you are interested in knowing the benefits and work style of government versus private, feel free to ask me anything and I'll answer if I can!
92 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2008
3191 posts
317 upvotes
Mississauga
not particularly specific to social services, but rather more a question about govt. careers:

1. does the city typically hire folks on contract first, and then transition over to full-time? if this varies from dept to dept, then what is the average/common case?

2. how does the city evaluate performance, determine raises, and hand out bonuses?

3. how does the political climate affect hiring/firing/turnover?
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbk.2k3 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 1:38 pm
not particularly specific to social services, but rather more a question about govt. careers:

1. does the city typically hire folks on contract first, and then transition over to full-time? if this varies from dept to dept, then what is the average/common case?

2. how does the city evaluate performance, determine raises, and hand out bonuses?

3. how does the political climate affect hiring/firing/turnover?
1. The city usually does a mixture of temporary/permanent job calls, temporary doesn't mean that your position is lost after the contract expires, it is a standard practice that your contract gets renewed without much thought, there are workers that have been employed for over 5 years that have been temporary before they transition over to permanent; to become permanent you just have to submit your application and if you have worked in that position for over a year and qualify, they just transition you over. Its all based on seniority, and your seniority (hours) carries over with you wherever you've worked in the city. For permanent workers, your seniority is calculated by number of years rather than hours.

2. Standard unionized workers do not get bonuses, normally one gets hired starting at the lowest of 3 wage grades that go up every year until you max out, every unionized person works hourly, only managment is paid by salary. Job performance monitoring is usually done regularly, its not very formal in that they just monitor your work throughout the year, once you are initially hired you usually get a 3 month and 6 month performance review, after that if you pass probation you are pretty much set. Its good and bad, in that there are many workers that are quite sub-par, and there is little no to accountability for this.

3. It's hard to tell until negotiations start for a new contract, we are currently in negotiations, and most people fear we will go on strike, its hard to say as the union is very hush-hush about things so they dont slip out into the media so they don't lose leverage. Hiring is mainly based on the city council and operational need, firing and turnover is almost unheard of, the union makes sure of that.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dance2noise007 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 3:05 pm
First off, can you proofread your post? Thanks.
I mispelt one word and thats all you took away from all of that? Thats for contributing.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dance2noise007 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 3:49 pm
Just spell things properly, is that so hard?
Its an online forum, not an exam, it was a typo, my apologies good sir.
Oct 6, 2010
168 posts
31 upvotes
Scarborough
So what is a city of Toronto employment & social services caseworker? What exactly are your responsibilities?

Do you have any policies regarding the hiring of people with disabilities?
May 18, 2008
743 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 4:59 pm
You must be a blast at parties.
Much like that OldMarriedGuy :D
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BlackKitty wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 5:20 pm
So what is a city of Toronto employment & social services caseworker? What exactly are your responsibilities?

Do you have any policies regarding the hiring of people with disabilities?
We provide people with social assistance (Ontario Works), work with them in creating service plans, and support them with basic employment needs, training, referrals and assistance with housing.

The city hires people under the AODA (Accessability for Ontarians with Disabilities Act) policy.
Sep 21, 2004
9932 posts
3894 upvotes
Calgary
CityWorker wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 10:55 am
I have been working with the City for a little while now, I know a lot of you are interested in knowing the benefits and work style of government versus private, feel free to ask me anything and I'll answer if I can!
Questions:
1) is there any flexible work options? Like rearranged work week where you work extra time and then get every other Friday off?
2) what % is employee's pension contribution and what's the employers' contribution?
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
b166er1337 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 10:18 pm
Questions:
1) is there any flexible work options? Like rearranged work week where you work extra time and then get every other Friday off?
2) what % is employee's pension contribution and what's the employers' contribution?
1) Not really, depends on the job, but where I work its standard 8:30-4:30 M-F
2) Employer matches your contribution, its basically 10% of your gross pay every cheque
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1312 posts
220 upvotes
CityWorker wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 6:39 pm
We provide people with social assistance (Ontario Works), work with them in creating service plans, and support them with basic employment needs, training, referrals and assistance with housing.
What's the starting salary for this position and what does it cap out at?

2 years ago I applied for this position and was asked to come to a group interview. 1400 people were interviewed. For 1 perm and 3 on calls. It was depressing.

I asked how many people had applied ... They said they screened 3400 resumes and called in 1400.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5035 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
CityWorker wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 10:37 pm
1) Not really, depends on the job, but where I work its standard 8:30-4:30 M-F
2) Employer matches your contribution, its basically 10% of your gross pay every cheque
OMERs pension. For NRA65, 9% up to the YMPE & 14.6% over it. YMPE is the same as the CPP max, about $54,000.

NRA60 (Police/fire) 9.2% and 14.3%.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2221 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
Any tips on getting an interview for corporate services?
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bamelin wrote:
Jan 29th, 2016 12:03 am
What's the starting salary for this position and what does it cap out at?

2 years ago I applied for this position and was asked to come to a group interview. 1400 people were interviewed. For 1 perm and 3 on calls. It was depressing.

I asked how many people had applied ... They said they screened 3400 resumes and called in 1400.
I read your post in the other thread, that sounds very bizarre for a interview with the City of Toronto, in my division, the interview was all situational questions, what would you do scenarios... The city usually does a screening, then a written test, then the job interview, the interviews are usually a panel of 2 or 3 people.