Careers

Working for the City of Toronto, ask me anything!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2019 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Aug 8, 2011
700 posts
41 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Would you provide any tips to stand out i.e. at least get an interview ?

Too many apply for one job how do they select which candidates they interview. Of course knowing someone helps. I applied for so many jobs where I thought i would get atleast an interview nothing happened
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Qrious wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 11:19 am
Hi I am not sure if you would know this but worth asking.. So, I have been interviewed for the case worker's position and references has been checked a week ago. I haven't heard back from them yet. My interview was about 10 days ago. is it typical for them to take their time or should I be worried that I am not selected for the position? any suggestions?
If your references were contacted theres a good chance you got the job, HR takes their time, be patient. Congrats.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thestar99 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 3:32 pm
Would you provide any tips to stand out i.e. at least get an interview ?

Too many apply for one job how do they select which candidates they interview. Of course knowing someone helps. I applied for so many jobs where I thought i would get atleast an interview nothing happened
Getting through the screening and having the computer accept your resume, its all about the key terms you use in your resume and making sure they reflect the responsibilities and qualifications...
Apr 24, 2016
4 posts
4 upvotes
CityWorker wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 10:28 pm
If your references were contacted theres a good chance you got the job, HR takes their time, be patient. Congrats.
Thanks! The delay is concerning me a little bit but I know that even if I got the job the start date is not till June.. So, it could be that HR is taking their time.. I wished I knew someone else who's also in the same situation! I wouldn't think they would waste their time on checking references and not call me back.. Lets see
Thank you
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
28 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Qrious wrote:
Apr 27th, 2016 9:22 am
Thanks! The delay is concerning me a little bit but I know that even if I got the job the start date is not till June.. So, it could be that HR is taking their time.. I wished I knew someone else who's also in the same situation! I wouldn't think they would waste their time on checking references and not call me back.. Lets see
Thank you
Im a caseworker myself, im aware of the hiring process, our office just received a group of new hires that just finished their training, the 2nd batch will be yours potentially in June for 3 weeks training and official start sometime in July. HR will take their time, just so you know they only contact your references if you passed all the aspects of the application/interview process, sit tight you probably got it...
Jan 31, 2016
376 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CityWorker wrote:
Apr 27th, 2016 6:04 pm
Im a caseworker myself, im aware of the hiring process, our office just received a group of new hires that just finished their training, the 2nd batch will be yours potentially in June for 3 weeks training and official start sometime in July. HR will take their time, just so you know they only contact your references if you passed all the aspects of the application/interview process, sit tight you probably got it...
Or you could be put on an eligibilty list for future opportunities.
Oct 25, 2015
88 posts
5 upvotes
Pickering, ON
What is the difference between provincial jobs vs municipal jobs vs federal jobs?
How and where do I get hired in the government sector such as what requirements are needed?
Apr 24, 2016
4 posts
4 upvotes
CityWorker wrote:
Apr 27th, 2016 6:04 pm
Hey thanks for the reply.. I hope you are right about that. I know the training does not start till June.. Today is the end of 2 weeks since the interview happened.. All the other stages went really quick.. It would be cruel not to get it after all these. I know my references are solid.
May 6, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
Did you end up hearing anything back? I'm in the same boat. I've passed the interview and reference check. My start date is beginning of June but I'm still waiting.
Dec 27, 2004
91 posts
9 upvotes
The hiring process at the city is a horror show.

You do not get rolled into permanent after year. That is factually wrong. After a year on the job, you can be deemed qualified but you still have to apply for, and be successful, in a permanent competition. I have been a temp for 2.5 years and there is not permanent job in sight for me. I am deemed qualified, for my current position, but there is not an opening for me to apply for. I can't even manage to get myself screened in for a test for other positions let alone an interview because I, to quote HR, don't have enough seniority. I am local 79. Its worse for 416 employees. One of the gals I know has over 20 years and is a temp.
Sep 18, 2011
219 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
pinkyroo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2016 9:37 pm
The hiring process at the city is a horror show.

You do not get rolled into permanent after year. That is factually wrong. After a year on the job, you can be deemed qualified but you still have to apply for, and be successful, in a permanent competition. I have been a temp for 2.5 years and there is not permanent job in sight for me. I am deemed qualified, for my current position, but there is not an opening for me to apply for. I can't even manage to get myself screened in for a test for other positions let alone an interview because I, to quote HR, don't have enough seniority. I am local 79. Its worse for 416 employees. One of the gals I know has over 20 years and is a temp.
I became permanent after 10 months of temp at the City.
Dec 27, 2007
310 posts
116 upvotes
CityWorker wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 2:23 pm
... every unionized person works hourly, only managment is paid by salary. Job performance monitoring is usually done regularly, its not very formal in that they just monitor your work throughout the year...
This isn't true, all levels of Canadian government have a group known as management/non-union (the / meaning OR). Public sector professionals (eg. Law, Engineering, IT, Finance) are typically part of this management/non-union group, which is usually segregated from union due to salary (eg. something like 60k+ salary you cannot be unionized). I think you should also clarify that your responses only pertain to your area of work; performance monitoring is definitely formal in many areas and KPIs are everywhere, even if you don't see them at your level.

Here's some questions of mine:
1. As a unionized employee, do you think that unions are beneficial or detrimental to the development/continuous improvement of city staff? Why?
2. Do you think that public sector unions benefit tax payers? If so, how?
3. If you had an opportunity to take an annual 15k salary increase at the expense of losing your unionized status, would you take it?
4. Have you worked with many other departments? Do you notice any differences between the behaviors of unionized vs non-unionized employees?
Sep 6, 2016
679 posts
257 upvotes
CityWorker wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 10:55 am
I have been working with the City for a little while now, I know a lot of you are interested in knowing the benefits and work style of government versus private, feel free to ask me anything and I'll answer if I can!
You should improve your English in first
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Mar 17, 2016
933 posts
681 upvotes
I almost made it to a city of Toronto job recently. Passed my test, did the interview two weeks ago. I thought it went well. Questions were quite easy. I felt pretty comfortable with the guys interviewing me. But two weeks later I get an email saying sorry, you were unsuccessful. Not really any feedback or explanation given. Oh well, it was a 6 month contract with possibility for extension.

My question are:

- What's the deal with 35 hour work weeks? Do you really only work 7x5 per week. Or do you do the regular 40 hours and they just subtract the lunches?

- Is there a huge pension deduction like in federal government? I get anywhere from 8-10% deducted from my every paycheck for superannuation.

- are the pay increments yearly?

- How much room is there to move up? Some higher level positions have really insane salaries. I am assuming those are incredibly hard to get? What is the internal hiring process like?

- Do you need French at all at any level? I need French like fish needs water if I intend to make it anywhere decent in federal government

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)