Careers

Working for the City of Toronto, ask me anything!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 3:52 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2154 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
MasterPro wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 7:14 am
Now I know how OP can work for the City with bad English

To move papers from a table to a table the English does not matter :twisted:
TO be fair, unless you are interacting with the public/ stakeholders English is not really an issue.
Jan 3, 2018
1 posts
I just went for an interview for a temp job with the city of Toronto. It is only for 2 months but may be extended. How often do these jobs get extended?
Apr 26, 2007
566 posts
33 upvotes
MasterPro wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 11:00 am
Subway in Toronto is not working usually.

The Employment Centers only take money from Government to drink coffee.
WHen you start work more effectively?
To stop drink coffee an d start to work for people

You created many job place for yourself an go from one place to other everyday...
LOL your English seems to be perfect eh
Thank my post if it helped!
Jan 27, 2018
60 posts
5 upvotes
What do you think the chances are for immigrants seeking jobs with the City of Toronto?
Apr 4, 2018
1 posts
Hello,

I am sorry if you have answered this but I was wondering if hired part-time, part-time, is it easy to then become full time, permanent?

thank you for your response!
Dec 27, 2004
87 posts
5 upvotes
Jatli2010 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 7:08 pm
I just went for an interview for a temp job with the city of Toronto. It is only for 2 months but may be extended. How often do these jobs get extended?
Sorry this is late but temps are often extended or redeployed. Taking one of those short term assignments is how you get on with the city. Its a long process that takes a lot of patience and persistence.
Dec 9, 2006
896 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
Hi OP, do all people start off as temp? If I see a City of Toronto job posting with Permanent full time, I can pretty much assume that the position is reserved for someone internally?
Mar 17, 2011
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
What is the phase 2 assessment using word like?
Nov 29, 2003
143 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Exploring opportunities and was hoping someone could help with this.

I was wondering if anyone had the most recent details for the benefits of a City of Toronto Employee or where I can find it.

For the following:
Permanent, Full-Time
Non-Union
Management
35 hours Per Week

Health & Dental, Pension/RRSP - What is covered and details such as Coverage, % Match and Contribution/max contribution %.
Apr 25, 2009
1 posts
How does seniority work if you wish to apply to another position within the city, but a complete different department?
Sep 18, 2018
2 posts
Hi! I recently joined the city in temp position. The role is nothing like it was advertised. So I am a bit disappointed and I'm looking to make a move. Will my manager be aware or notified if I apply to other city positions? Will they be reached out without my consent if I make it through to the first round?

Thanks
Oct 23, 2007
492 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
vinitaaa wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 6:03 pm
How does seniority work if you wish to apply to another position within the city, but a complete different department?
Your Union seniority is based on your employment length with the City rather than a specific department.
Ihavequestions wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 5:41 pm
Hi! I recently joined the city in temp position. The role is nothing like it was advertised. So I am a bit disappointed and I'm looking to make a move. Will my manager be aware or notified if I apply to other city positions? Will they be reached out without my consent if I make it through to the first round?

Thanks
They won't be notified if you're just applying. However if you make it to an interview, you must list your direct manager/supervisor as your current reference. They'll call for the reference and eventually negotiate for a transfer date. Of course they can always call each anytime informally but the above is the typical procedure.
Dec 10, 2018
1 posts
Do you have any insight on union vs non-union jobs? I know with union jobs they have to follow a specific process in order to lay off employees. I'd think non-union means you have zero protection, but is it like in in the private sector where you could lose your job at any time with no reason given?
Jan 10, 2019
1 posts
Can anyone tell me.
If you get a full time position but it’s a temporary position of 60 months, what are the benefits like?

Do you get full health coverage?
Are you entitled to any maternity leave?
And what about pension?

Accepting a 60 months contract at the city would be great but not so much if I’m not entitled to benefits... and I’m at the age of considering having children.

Any info really appreciated as it could be life changing...
Jan 11, 2019
1 posts
Hi there, wondering what the drug testing protocol is for the City of Toronto upon hiring?