None
[OP]
Banned
Mar 21, 2007
589 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga

Working Out After Appendectomy

So I had an appendectomy last tuesday. The appendix was removed laparoscopically, which is a type of modern non-invasive surgery method that they use now with a recovery time that is supposedly much shorter than that of the traditional surgical method.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with the actual recovery time of an appendectomy. I am looking to get back into weight training as soon as possible and I want to here of other people's experiences. Also, is there any type of upper body exercise that I can be doing at this moment? I currently have to stay away from anything that engages the abdominal muscles in any way, so I'm looking for exercises that allow the abdominal muscles to be either relaxed or in a very weak contraction. Thanks!
3 replies
Sep 9, 2005
761 posts
5 upvotes
http://www.surgerychannel.com/appendectomy/postop.shtml

"Normal activities can be resumed within a few days, but it takes 4 to 6 weeks for full recovery. Heavy lifting and strenuous activity should be avoided during recovery. If antibiotics and/or pain medication are prescribed, they should be taken as directed.

The open procedure leaves a scar on the lower right side of the abdomen that is a few inches long and fades over time. Scarring from laparoscopic appendectomy is minimal."

I would wait the alotted time proposed by your surgeon. If none given, call him/her and ask. You run the risk of damaging tissues that are currently healing if you increase the intraabdominal pressure with heavy lifting.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2006
9987 posts
416 upvotes
It will take a month. Based on this new surgery you had, you may be safe. I had my appendix removed in 2007 and spent two weeks in the hospital because it took the doctors 5 days to figure out what was wrong with me and the toxins had already been released into my body.

It took me a good month before I actually felt somewhat healthy because I had three catheters inserted in the left side of my body to drain the fluids (had them for 3 weeks). I lost massive weight but after about 2-3 months everything started to return to normal and was up and running for daily activities but didn't risk any sports until about 3-4 months.

I wouldn't risk it though and let your body rest a bit because its just gone through fighting the toxins. If I were you, I'd wait at least a month without exercising and then going to the doctors for a check-up in order to resume activities. I don't see how losing out on some exercise for a month is bad unless your desperate to do something and kill time or have an image of yourself that you need to uphold in public.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3103 posts
43 upvotes
A friend of mine had to wait for 4 weeks post-surgery,
× < >