Personal Finance

Working in USA, how to best file Canadian taxes?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2014 9:39 pm
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 3, 2006
10375 posts

Working in USA, how to best file Canadian taxes?

As the title suggests. I'm currently working in the USA and I just received my W-2 (US equivalent of a T4) for 2013. I was considered a resident of Canada for tax purposes by the CRA, so I will be filing Canadian taxes too. It's my first time doing this, so I'm not sure how to go about it. Which forms should I fill out? Are there things I need to watch out for? I'll be filing it electronically most likely. Which free software would you recommend?
2 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 30, 2004
3407 posts
I would recommend finding a tax professional that specializes in cross-border tax situations. There are a few of them out there, though I can't vouch for any of them.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 27, 2007
5035 posts
Step 1 - file US tax return

Step 2 - Use info from US return to file Cdn return. Ensure to claim foreign tax credit.

I would go to a pro to get this done. It is somewhat complicated for a DIY.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]