Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Worldline

Worldline free DSL internet for a year

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2019 1:10 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
Britex wrote: Bell technician has finished the installation and confirmed the speed is 50/10. Woohoo! I'm sure we are guinea pigs prior to them opening wide to the public, so, I'll wait and assess the reliability before cutting my current ISP. I have to say this is pretty awesome and it's all for free :)

Thank you for posting back; it's very interesting and I will stay subscribed to this thread.

Would you say you are a heavy user or a light one?
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Temporel wrote: Thank you for posting back; it's very interesting and I will stay subscribed to this thread.

Would you say you are a heavy user or a light one?
Right now I still don't have the modem nor the login credentials. Apparently the shipment has been delayed due to the holidays. Rather odd they don't provide the login ahead of time, but whatever.

I would say I am a moderate user. However, when I finally get the service, it will be used very light as I plan to create a completely separate network dedicated to my smart devices and only occasionally go on to utilize the line. If everything goes well, it will be back to moderate in a few months.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
Britex wrote: (...) I would say I am a moderate user. However, when I finally get the service, it will be used very light as I plan to create a completely separate network dedicated to my smart devices and only occasionally go on to utilize the line. If everything goes well, it will be back to moderate in a few months.

It's smart not to cut your previous provider immediately. If I were you, I would put everything on the new guy's back at first, push the heck out of it to the limit and test everything for a while to know if you have a fully provisioned reliable service or not. Just sayin'. :)

Good luck!
Aug 30, 2015
110 posts
214 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Just got my modem today. Installation on Saturday. Thanks for the feedback.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Temporel wrote: It's smart not to cut your previous provider immediately. If I were you, I would put everything on the new guy's back at first, push the heck out of it to the limit and test everything for a while to know if you have a fully provisioned reliable service or not. Just sayin'. :)

Good luck!
Yup, I certainly plan to do that :)
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
dealshunter1 wrote: Just got my modem today. Installation on Saturday. Thanks for the feedback.
If you had DSL previously then you may be all set up already. That's what happened with me. The Bell technician came, confirmed I still had DSL on the line, and then left. I received my modem, plugged it in, it download the configuration profile, I connected wirelessly and had Internet. I thought I needed the login credentials but it wasn't the case. Looks like Worldline detects I connected and sent this month's invoice. So it turns out their regular price for 50/10 DSL is $50.95 plus $8.95 for the SmartRG SR630n modem rental.
Aug 30, 2015
110 posts
214 upvotes
Brossard, QC
A big thanks to OP again. Got my free internet service installed today. Will be testing it out this month but seems to be working great all day. It's been consistent at 50/10.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Just giving an update on my progress in case anyone is still following...

So, I am having a difficult time getting this to work properly in bridge mode. I should point out I did this previously using a SmartRG SR505N under Teksaavy. Plus it does sort of work under Worldline. So here's what happens:

1. Using the SmartRG SR630N as configured from Worldline, I conduct a speed test and get roughly 50/10 as expected.
2. I configure the modem for bridge mode
3. I conduct a speed test and get roughly 50/10 as expected. Yeah!
4. I turn off the modem and turn it back on. My router reconnects and I'm back online.
5. I conduct a speed test and get roughly 2/10. What?
6. I turn off the modem and my router and turn them back on. My router reconnects and I'm back online.
7. I conduct a speed test and get roughly 1/10.
8. I replace the SmartRG SR630N with my previously configured SmartRG SR505N.
9. I conduct a speed test and get roughly 1/10.

So a different modem doesn't' make a difference, which leads me to believe there's something about the way Wordline is configured. It's very odd that originally it was working fine until a reboot seems to throw it off for whatever reason. When I do the speed test, speedtest.net complains that there's a socket error or firewall that's blocking the traffic. And Worldline can't help as putting the modem into bridge mode means it's no longer in a supported state.

Anyone else successfully get bridge mode to work properly?
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
It would appear my bridge mode problems have been resolved. I am now consistently getting 50/10 even after rebooting the modem and router. What I did was a complete reset of the router back to factory settings. Despite confirming all settings are correct and it somewhat working, it still required I do a complete reset and then reapply all the settings again.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Another day, another problem. So for a few days now I've been having intermittent problems with my Obi202 VOIP. I didn't make any configuration changes so my initial thought was perhaps the VOIP service was at fault. What happens is it would work for about 30 seconds and then the person on the other end cannot hear me.

My configuration is the SmartRG SR630N configured in Bridge mode and hooked up to a Google OnHub. In order to get it working again I had to go back to the Rogers Hitron modem configured in Bridge mode and hooked up to a Google OnHub. I tried this multiple times to ensure the only difference is SmartRG modem and the Hitron modem.

Even though the service is free, it feels like we are guinea pigs for them to work out their problems.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
I should also mention the Internet connection occasionally gets disconnected. This would happen about once every other day.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks for posting Britex, I'm sorry you have difficulties. I hope it's just temporary and once solved that's it's going to be a smooth ride. I won't miss an episode. Don't give-up! Cheers!
Aug 22, 2005
134 posts
115 upvotes
Britex wrote: Another day, another problem. So for a few days now I've been having intermittent problems with my Obi202 VOIP. I didn't make any configuration changes so my initial thought was perhaps the VOIP service was at fault. What happens is it would work for about 30 seconds and then the person on the other end cannot hear me.

My configuration is the SmartRG SR630N configured in Bridge mode and hooked up to a Google OnHub. In order to get it working again I had to go back to the Rogers Hitron modem configured in Bridge mode and hooked up to a Google OnHub. I tried this multiple times to ensure the only difference is SmartRG modem and the Hitron modem.

Even though the service is free, it feels like we are guinea pigs for them to work out their problems.
VOIP problem is not caused by worldline. It's the modem. SR630N has a function called "Packet Flow Accelerator", which will try to reduce the latency for some DSL services. When in bridge mode, that function will go rogue and try to "optimize" your data transmission. Find it under Advanced Setup -> Packet Acceleration, and deselect "Enable Packet Flow Accelerator", then things will go back to normal.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
ecc29 wrote: VOIP problem is not caused by worldline. It's the modem. SR630N has a function called "Packet Flow Accelerator", which will try to reduce the latency for some DSL services. When in bridge mode, that function will go rogue and try to "optimize" your data transmission. Find it under Advanced Setup -> Packet Acceleration, and deselect "Enable Packet Flow Accelerator", then things will go back to normal.
Thanks, bud! I actually kinda gave up. Makes sense that it's the SR630N since that's the other difference. Will give this a try.

BTW, how did you figure out about the modem? Guess Worldline should reconsider insisting on this modem if it's a known issue.
Aug 22, 2005
134 posts
115 upvotes
Britex wrote: Thanks, bud! I actually kinda gave up. Makes sense that it's the SR630N since that's the other difference. Will give this a try.

BTW, how did you figure out about the modem? Guess Worldline should reconsider insisting on this modem if it's a known issue.
Just like you, I have a SR505N. So I knew it wasn't worldline when I connected my SR505N in bridge mode, VOIP works fine with SR505N. The rest was just tedious trial and error. After internet installation it took me two days to find out where the real problem was, then the internet was stable. The SR630N has been running for a month without rebooting. Actually not bad for the first month.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
3000 posts
2243 upvotes
GTA
Well, I finally bit the bullet and cancelled Rogers in favour of Wordline. I was contemplating keeping both, simply because I got a good deal with Rogers. However, the final deciding factor was my VOIP phone line. Lately when I use the phone, the sound would be choppy or can't hear the other person. This, I believe, is the result of how everyone within a neighborhood shares the same trunk plus Rogers overselling their gigabit Internet with insufficient network capacity to handle the load. I was able to confirm this by the atrocious ping times. Sometimes it would go as high as 700ms or no response at all, and the norm is still about 70ms. On DSL I would average about 7ms and the VOIP calls did not break off. So I figure when this free Internet deal ends and if they don't give a decent offer, I'll probably just get DSL service from one of the other ISPs.

Thanks again to ecc29 for the help in resolving the SmartRG SR630N problem. I've been running with it for over a month and it really fixed the problem.