Shopping Discussion

Worst "Legit" company for spamming sales?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2013 10:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7137 posts
511 upvotes

Worst "Legit" company for spamming sales?

Got the 700th email from BB this morning and was thinking about this....What company is the worst for spamming with emails to your inbox? Best Buy and FS are right up there, SDM has been getting worse lately. Even RFD did a lot, looked like every few hours during Black Friday, expecting the same for Boxing Day. The big issue I have with it is good deals can get lost in the mess because they indiscriminately send out all the time. 2 or 3 items in store marked down $5? Sale!!! What companies are the worst for abusing the email newsletters?
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
42 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10670 posts
1036 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Worst for spamming over the phone is Investors Group. For the 1000th time no one wants to be your lame commissioned sales rep selling bait and switch products to people... total idiots, point blank.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Aug 21, 2011
814 posts
191 upvotes
toronto star via phone calls

also ebates newsletters with their default settings are horrible.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12742 posts
5163 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Happy13178 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 8:32 am
Even RFD
And especially the daily "A special offer from an RFD partner" that you have to open in order to determine which snake oil seller is today's "partner."

Message to RFD: if you're so proud of your "partners" why keep their names off the Subject line? Do you and your "partners" really think that by opening the e-mail I'm more likely to accept the offer, especially when 99/100 times you're just wasting my time? That you have to hide the name of the "partner" tells me that the deal isn't "special" for me but rather for your "partner."

As for the others, many "legit" online stores who are at all considerate of their customers' time provide several e-mail options to limit the type and frequency of e-mails.
aznnorth wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 8:42 am
Worst for spamming over the phone is Investors Group. For the 1000th time no one wants to be your lame commissioned sales rep selling bait and switch products to people... total idiots, point blank.
My solution has been to own IG stock (IGM.TO) and collect dividends based on the success of those "total idiots" in selling high-priced, proprietary mutual funds to the unsuspecting public. Ditto with banks and their outrageous fees. If you can't beat them, own them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1165 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
Gap/Old Navy...near enough every day there is an e-mail
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5165 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
I know what you mean, OP. In the last month I have unsubscribed a few of the email newsletters. The ones where I was getting 1 email a week I was getting daily and it was really urinating me off. Sporting Life was one that stood out for me.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jan 21, 2003
173 posts
10 upvotes
Gmail's promotions tab captures all these type spam and thus I can completely ignore the mail if I want. Lately ebay and paypal have been teaming up to send me 'deals', but most of this just gets filtered to the spam folder which I'm fine with.
...Smiloid
May 28, 2012
9796 posts
2003 upvotes
Saskatoon
No Frills wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 9:18 am
I know what you mean, OP. In the last month I have unsubscribed a few of the email newsletters. The ones where I was getting 1 email a week I was getting daily and it was really urinating me off. Sporting Life was one that stood out for me.
Autocorrect? :lol:

I always refuse when they ask at the checkout for my email. Unsubscribe if it bugs you, or send it immediately to your junk mail and deal with it when you are in the right mood.
Jun 24, 2013
226 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
cardle wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 9:03 am
Gap/Old Navy...near enough every day there is an e-mail
I agree! Despite so many emails from Gap/Old Navy, they do occasionally have pretty good offers. Also lots of emails from Bath and Body Works!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17423 posts
2139 upvotes
GTA West
The Body Shop... if you ever sign up for their mailing list, set up a separate hotmail or something. They average around 7-10 e-mails per week. During the holiday season, it's more like 15-20 per week.

Kobo used to be pretty bad in this respect too, though it seems they've toned it down in the last month.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
235 upvotes
Markham
You have the ability to unsubscribe to all these email lists. On top of that, some offer daily, weekly or monthly newsletter. You can't really complain calling it "spam" if you have the personal choice to limit how much you want to get from them. With that said...

Best Buy was the worst, because i'd get an email a day after unsubscribing many times. Finally I had to call their 1-800 number to get myself removed from the list. Apparently there was an "error" and I couldn't be removed.
Be Happy
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10454 posts
1989 upvotes
Nowhere
beachdude wrote:
Dec 15th, 2013 12:36 pm
You have the ability to unsubscribe to all these email lists. On top of that, some offer daily, weekly or monthly newsletter. You can't really complain calling it "spam" if you have the personal choice to limit how much you want to get from them. With that said...
Agreed. Unsubscribe if you don't want to receive the emails. With phone calls (someone mentioned the Toronto Star), ask to be put on their Do Not Call list. For some stupid reason, newspapers calling to sell subscriptions are not covered under the National Do Not Call List. It doesn't makes sense at all. But I only recently learned that after having a rep throw it in my face after I said I was going to report them to the CRTC. Note it is not the Toronto Star calling but some third party company that sells their subscriptions. It took a number of requests to get them to stop.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7137 posts
511 upvotes
Wow, looks like I hit a nerve. I've unsubscribed to some of them, but some I don't mind being on the email newsletter for some things, it just gets excessive sometimes. BB and FS sent out what, 15 emails each on the day before and day of black Friday? That's just too much. RFD hasn't done it that much in the past, but they're getting pretty bad now. The bigger problem is when you unsubscribe and it DOESN'T come off the list. I know this time of year is bad for it anyways, but still, these companies should show a little restraint. Kind of defeats the purpose if they're sending out so much that people are pulling off the lists...

There's a couple more to add to the list...TRU has been getting a bit worse lately. Ebay is ALWAYS bad, and gets exponentially worse the more you're active on the site. Not just emails, relisted items, favorite sellers, item ending soon, etc, etc.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1322 posts
72 upvotes
The brick calls me like once a month
Everytime it's VIP sale
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2772 posts
213 upvotes
Nations Capital
vistaprint

but if you don't order from them for a yr, they stop spamming you!
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?