Would have to say the one at the old Morningside Mall! Face With Tears Of Joy
135 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13675 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
Parkway mall.
Maybe at one time something was done right, but lately, (construction aside) it looks like more and more, their food court is in less need.
Subway sub Tim Horton's and McDonald's are out in the parking lot. (permanently)
It's no doubt that more food places will find their way out there, maybe?
[OP]
Nov 9, 2013
77 posts
22 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Yeah, that one is in a sad state of affairs itself presently. They added a couple more Asian eateries. One is Indonesian and another Japanese one next to the Chinese one that's been there for a while.

The KFC left a while ago, as did that fancy looking restaurant that was by the food court right next to the Pharmacy Ave. entrance. The only long standing one is the Greek one. The juice and smoothie place is doing fairly alright as well.

Cedarbrae Mall food court is actually one of the most misused and lame ones around as well considering how large the mall is. Complete waste of space by management there.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2013
77 posts
22 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
The mall does still have one of the few Open Window Bakeries around, albeit on the other side of the mall where the construction is going on in one of the makeshift units. It, along with Bailey's Home Hardware are among the very few highlights of the mall looking forward to each visit.
Last edited by Strafe1 on Feb 7th, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3864 posts
1052 upvotes
They're all the same crap.
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5709 posts
3595 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Guys... the one in Splendid China Tower
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2365 posts
1367 upvotes
Any food court with Bourbon St. Grill/Kelly's Cajun Grill/Caribbean Queen is an automatic failure to me. Their presence poisons the entire mall.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13675 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 9:38 pm
Cedarbrae Mall food court is actually one of the most misused and lame ones around as well considering how large the mall is. Complete waste of space by management there.
Management must be doing something right. Taco Bell chose to close their restaurant location (just outside) down and remain only in the Cedarbrae mall food court.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13675 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 10:20 pm
Any food court with Bourbon St. Grill/Kelly's Cajun Grill/Caribbean Queen is an automatic failure to me. Their presence poisons the entire mall.
Agreed. Before even considering quality, there's
way too much rice at all three when ordering their "Pick rice + any two other items"
Same can be said about the noodles...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4220 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 10:20 pm
We were working late once and someone went out to get food... he got me a box of weird rice with some kind of sugar chicken, and said "I know you like Allwyn's so I got you Caribbean Queen". I cried a little inside, and eating it didn't make me feel any better.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2365 posts
1367 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 10:34 pm
We were working late once and someone went out to get food... he got me a box of weird rice with some kind of sugar chicken, and said "I know you like Allwyn's so I got you Caribbean Queen". I cried a little inside, and eating it didn't make me feel any better.
You should have said "I didn't feel like Chinese food today, too much MSG* on an empty stomach makes me sick" and dumped that crap in the trash.

* I know that's BS but it's a useful excuse here!
[OP]
Nov 9, 2013
77 posts
22 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
The food court as a whole is a waste of space. The unit that was the GNC shop that left got taken by another cheap clothing shop. Across on the other side is the luggage place Bentley. Both ae large enough to bring in 3 or 4 additional eateries to the food court.

The Habiba is all the way at the other end of the mall by the Canadian Tire which is quite a walk and they're missing out on the food court market.

The mall is so expansive that either could have been placed elsewhere and allow that space to add some more variety other than McD's, Tim's, KFC/Taco Bell and the Asian Gourmet place.

Ever since the Asian Gourmet did that makeover to the place, they went down the tube ever since .
No more of the daily $4.45 specials they used to have that gave a decent alternative to the McD's, Tim's and KFC/Taco Bell in the food court there at Cedarbrae Mall.
They also used to have with it for an additional $0.75 a soup or ice cream cone.
Never bothered with them since. Not worth the rip-off prices they are putting for average quality food just because they decided to fancy the place up a bit.

Believe me, been frequenting the mall every week few times each week. The management doesn't give a **** at all about the state of the mall. They're just there mailing it in because it doesn't effect them.

If the place was taken over by Cadillac Fairview or Oxford Properties, this mall would be a legit one considering how much space it occupies it's so much that it's just being wasted there.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7368 posts
1555 upvotes
Mississauga
Cedarbrae Mall fits the demographics of the area. It will never be turned into a real mall.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7368 posts
1555 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd like to add, even tho Sherway Garden renovated a couple of years ago with a huge food court, the food court sucks. The only good place to eat up there is the new pizza place called Pi Co. (and it's not cheap). Everything else is the typical blah food court food. I used to like Hero Burger before the renovations. But they didn't stay after the reno (now awful Big Smoke Burgers is there).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2365 posts
1367 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 11:07 pm
I'd like to add, even tho Sherway Garden renovated a couple of years ago with a huge food court, the food court sucks. The only good place to eat up there is the new pizza place called Pi Co. (and it's not cheap). Everything else is the typical blah food court food. I used to like Hero Burger before the renovations. But they didn't stay after the reno (now awful Big Smoke Burgers is there).
I would say the exact same thing about Vaughan Mills. Nice brand new (relatively speaking) super-regional mall... with a food court selection that looks like it was copy-pasted from some dead mall in Scarborough. Yorkdale's food court is quite nice; you'd think Vaughan Mills would have attracted a similar collection of restaurants. Nope. Poisoned by Bourbon...

I know it isn't in Toronto proper (neither is Vaughan Mills) but the mall at Pickering Town Centre is definitely weak. It's the closest "big" mall to my house and yet I never eat there.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Feb 7th, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.