• Feb 26th, 2019 3:26 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14098 posts
2519 upvotes
Toronto
oroku1983 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 8:31 pm
well the original owners were muslim so obviously they're gonna serve halal food lol but like i said they have new owners now they're the same awful company that owns tim hortons.
I think you're mixing up ownership with franchise. There were indeed a few franchises that cried out that halal is a must.
This was a while ago though...
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/1 ... icken.html
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2915 posts
1988 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 8:56 pm
I think popeyes canada and the one in the u.s are still technically different entities.
Not anymore. Restaurant Brands International owns the whole chain, worldwide.

KFC was a strange case -- you can look it up but a lot of why Canadian KFC was different from USA KFC for so long had to do with Col. Sanders selling the USA rights and then fleeing up to Canada where he partnered up with "Scott's Chicken Villa" (so that's how we got the "grecian bread", soggy fries, green slaw, etc, that the US never had)
Dec 8, 2015
118 posts
46 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
ReeGee wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 2:05 pm
The entire point of them is to provide cheap and quick fast food to fill people up and keep them in the mall. The very concept and format of a mall food court doesn't cater to serving good quality food.
And to keep people from fainting from hunger when they shop, lol.
Dec 8, 2015
118 posts
46 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
mrweather wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 4:58 pm
Bourbon Street Grill is a misnomer. When I first saw them I was expecting maybe Cajun type cuisine. When I actually saw the menu I was disappointed.
Yeah, what's up with that? Weird.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21033 posts
7030 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 1:50 pm
KFC was a strange case
It's even a strange case in the US still.
I had no idea that he partnered up with someone in Canada. I wonder which recipe ended up being used here.
I also wonder at what point it changed because I swear in like 1990ish it changed significantly. Today's chicken isn't nearly as good as it was 20 years ago (size is a different argument).
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2915 posts
1988 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 4:42 pm
It's even a strange case in the US still.
I had no idea that he partnered up with someone in Canada. I wonder which recipe ended up being used here.
I also wonder at what point it changed because I swear in like 1990ish it changed significantly. Today's chicken isn't nearly as good as it was 20 years ago (size is a different argument).
AFAIK he brought his recipes up here so, if you want to be technical about it you could say that pre 1990's KFC in Canada was closer to the authentic (since Harland himself was in charge up here) than what they were selling in America.
Now I am ONLY referring to the chicken. Everything else wasn't his stuff. I seriously doubt green-food-colored cole slaw, limp nasty fries, and soggy white bread were authentic Kentucky recipes.

https://torontoist.com/2015/12/historic ... a-colonel/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21033 posts
7030 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 4:46 pm
AFAIK he brought his recipes up here so, if you want to be technical about it you could say that pre 1990's KFC in Canada was closer to the authentic (since Harland himself was in charge up here) than what they were selling in America.
It makes sense.
Apparently someone tested modern KFC and the only thing in it is Salt, Pepper, MSG, Milk.
I don't know how credible it is.

I belong to a forum that's dedicated to replicating KFC and even theirs doesn't seem right (compared to today's I mean). It vaguely reminds me of yesterdecade's but I have no point of reference (nor a pressure fryer...yet) so I can't be certain.

Side note: I think everyone has seen that slip of handwritten paper with "Oregano" spelled wrong. That 100% isn't KFC. It's not even close.

Now I am ONLY referring to the chicken. Everything else wasn't his stuff. I seriously doubt green-food-colored cole slaw, limp nasty fries, and soggy white bread were authentic Kentucky recipes.
I'm pretty sure The Colonel would be just as pissed as he was at the US branch for murdering his chicken for Canada doing this to his name.
Hilariously I suspect this is what may have triggered a basically global name change from "Kentucky Fried Chicken" to "KFC"
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 3:21 pm
You can blame these two CHINESE-American companies for inflicting their garbage onto food courts across North America:

https://www.irg168.com/
http://www.irmgusa.com/our-brands/
This is hilarious. I would love to see their latin grill. imagine if gustos pizza and subs was just chinese when you got to the front of the line LOL
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 4:54 pm
I suspect this is what may have triggered a basically global name change from "Kentucky Fried Chicken" to "KFC"
If you mean Sanders was responsible for this he had been dead for over a decade when they changed it to kfc sometime in the early to mid 90s if im remembering correctly.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2915 posts
1988 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:51 pm
This is hilarious. I would love to see their latin grill. imagine if gustos pizza and subs was just chinese when you got to the front of the line LOL
Go back to the earlier posts where I show YouTube videos and death_hawk posts pictures of this bastardized/counterfeit "Cajun"/"Caribbean" crap. Start here:

worst-mall-food-court-ever-toronto-2263250/5/#p30529199

Nobody else seems to be as scummy as these guys. I've never seen pho pitched as Italian food or burritos pitched as Korean food or steak and kidney pie as Indian food but....
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
I've seen them but I want to see Latin grill and the pizza and sub shop.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2915 posts
1988 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:07 am
I've seen them but I want to see Latin grill and the pizza and sub shop.
Ask and you shall receive. Here's what I'd call food court hell. Look at the 3 booths in the background -- I bet they serve the same crap:

https://www.visitflorida.com/bin/vf/sta ... imagecache
(I'd rather go to Sbarro...)
and here's their Yelp entry. It doesn't look as bad as Bourbon St. Grill but... still the same old same old meat, veg, rice combos:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/latin-grill-of ... mall-miami

After some digging it looks like there was only ever one Gusto's Pizza and Subs but it closed. I guess trying to cook something other than bourbon chicken was too hard...
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gustos-pizza-and-subs-miami
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
that first screenshot makes me think they're like a cancerous growth; their godawful restaurants just spread until the whole food court is some variation of bourbon st grill lol
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2915 posts
1988 upvotes
oroku1983 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:44 am
that first screenshot makes me think they're like a cancerous growth; their godawful restaurants just spread until the whole food court is some variation of bourbon st grill lol
Since we're talking about malls, yes, they're the cancerous growth in the food court just like how Dylex and Isaac Benitah were (still are?) the cancerous growths among the clothing stores in the mall proper....