• Dec 29th, 2019 5:00 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
80 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Is it worth to buy reliance Home Heating Cooling protection & Maintenance plan

Hi

I'm planning to buy the reliance Home Heating Cooling protection & Maintenance + Plumbing plan for $49.99 Monthly (Plan won't kick in for first 21 days and i can cancel it any time)

What do you guys think? is it worth it

Thanks in advance
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4826 posts
2026 upvotes
What is included in this “plan”?
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17351 posts
4094 upvotes
Toronto
$50 a month is $600 a year. In 5 years, that's $3000. In 15 years, that's $9000.

I suggest you take $50 a month and put it into a speed2 home maintenance fund in a TFSA at your financial institution of your choice and don't touch it. That will serve you well for an emergency (HVAC or otherwise).
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
80 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you all
Currently my central humidifier is leaking and not sure how much it would cost me to replace the leaking pipe. Thought by getting the protection plan i'm getting annual tune up plus the service
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13783 upvotes
Oakville
speed2 wrote: Thank you all
Currently my central humidifier is leaking and not sure how much it would cost me to replace the leaking pipe. Thought by getting the protection plan i'm getting annual tune up plus the service
DIY fix for that should be under $10. Bringing someone in should be under $100. Only because nobody is coming for less than $100, unless you get a kijiji handyman who would DIY it for you.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1873 posts
564 upvotes
Mississauga
speed2 wrote: Thank you all
They probably won't touch your humidifier..read the contract.... for $20 get the pipe from honedepot and fix it yourself. I got a stainless steel 1/4 Eastman pipe that for my sharkbite valve and the solenoid... just needed a pair of pliers to do in 5 min.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
80 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Let me give it a try by replacing the humidifier drain pipe and see. Thank you all

Do you guys do a tune up for your furnace in winter and Air Conditioner in Summer. Mine is only 2 years old and not sure whether i should do the tune up every year
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4794 posts
1569 upvotes
Debtario
In your case I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of exclusions in the fine print as well, look into that. On a new furnace certainly not, the tune ups are bunk, just like a car dealership checking your floor mats and counting it as an inspection.

In my case it's worth it, I'm only on the heating protection plan alone and I'm certain they've lost money on my 25+ year old furnace. They've replaced the condensate pump, ignition control module, igniter, and sequencer several times, breakdowns happen every other year. They try to upsell a new furnace so hard at each visit, try hard to find cracks in the heat exchanger, and a few times had to call in their most senior guy who had experience with this old furnace because the new guys are clueless lol

Note the cooling and heating plans are separate, you can switch but you have to wait 21 days before the other kicks in. It's a hassle, but that way you avoid paying for a heating plan in the summer and a cooling plan in the winter. Switch during the late spring and early fall when your equipment won't be needed to minimize the chance you'd need the service during the waiting period.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Dec 26, 2019
4 posts
2 upvotes
speed2 wrote: Hi

I'm planning to buy the reliance Home Heating Cooling protection & Maintenance + Plumbing plan for $49.99 Monthly (Plan won't kick in for first 21 days and i can cancel it any time)

What do you guys think? is it worth it

Thanks in advance
A BIG no, i am an existing customer and am going to get rid of reliance altogether. They are big time crooks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9846 posts
6288 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
no

No

NO

NO
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4227 posts
784 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: I'm only on the heating protection plan alone and I'm certain they've lost money on my 25+ year old furnace.
Same here. The heating/furnace insurance was an impulse buy but I broke even within 6 months. Similar 25+ year old furnace as well. I've had expensive maintenance work on it over the years so this was worth it. It's insurance so really you're buying peace of mind and no hassle.