None
[OP]
Nov 23, 2013
84 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal

Is it worth it to buy a TV from USA and bring it back to Canada

Hello

I'm looking to buy a new TV and since there are many great deals popping up now anbd I live 30mins away from border. I was wondering if it's worth it to buy a TV from USA and bring it back to Canada.

I'm looking to buy a Samsung F7100 55inch.
Beside the standard taxes, is there any duties involved?

Thanks in advance
34 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
5% duty
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
May 28, 2012
10291 posts
2438 upvotes
Saskatoon
Would warranty issues be a concern for you?
[OP]
Nov 23, 2013
84 posts
37 upvotes
Montreal
Warranty not really.
I have hook ups locally if anything happens to it when I get it. I'll just swap with with a store.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3879 posts
766 upvotes
garlei wrote:
Nov 24th, 2013 6:33 pm
Warranty not really.
I have hook ups locally if anything happens to it when I get it. I'll just swap with with a store.
Swap the defective TV you bought from the US with a local store? Isn't that slightly fraud?
signature closed for renovation
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
^^ Awaits OP next thread if something goes wrong with the TV. Best Buy exchange policy sucks! LOL :lol:
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Always better to buy everything in the US. Why pay HST, eco scam fees and extortionist pricing?

Smart shoppers always buy American.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
^ It all ends up in the landfill anyways. People have too much time and money to spend on junk.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5037 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
theguru wrote:
Nov 24th, 2013 9:20 pm
Always better to buy everything in the US. Why pay HST, eco scam fees and extortionist pricing?

Smart shoppers always buy American.
Misinformed comment. HST payable at border. 100% chance to have to pay as the duty must be collected and HST paid at the same time.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24641 posts
10086 upvotes
dutchca wrote:
Nov 25th, 2013 1:40 am
Misinformed comment. HST payable at border. 100% chance to have to pay as the duty must be collected and HST paid at the same time.
Misinformed comment. On paper it's 100% but in practice it's much lower, especially if it's a personal importation.
While I have no actual stats, I'd say my own personal stats are about 40% pay rates. Dollar values don't matter as I've been sent to pay $2 worth of GST and waived with $5k worth of goods on a 7 day.
Mar 1, 2007
178 posts
81 upvotes
GTA
garlei wrote:
Nov 24th, 2013 5:52 pm
Hello

I'm looking to buy a new TV and since there are many great deals popping up now anbd I live 30mins away from border. I was wondering if it's worth it to buy a TV from USA and bring it back to Canada.

I'm looking to buy a Samsung F7100 55inch.
Beside the standard taxes, is there any duties involved?

Thanks in advance
Done this. In real life, they do not charge duties, so expect to pay 13% HST on importation for a same-day trip. Just keep in mind that you will pay 13% on the total value, which includes the US tax and shipping (if applicable).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7860 posts
4822 upvotes
What's the difference in price between the two countries ?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24310 posts
1565 upvotes
Markham, ON
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 25th, 2013 3:09 am
Misinformed comment. On paper it's 100% but in practice it's much lower, especially if it's a personal importation.
While I have no actual stats, I'd say my own personal stats are about 40% pay rates. Dollar values don't matter as I've been sent to pay $2 worth of GST and waived with $5k worth of goods on a 7 day.
i can tell you something that big is 100% going to the special lane to pay HST...whether OP gets dinged with duty ...no idea.

If OP can fraudently change TVs in and out and perhaps get his friend legally charged for fraud...sure why not.

Talk to any TV report man...certain brands definitely have a higher rate of issues.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24641 posts
10086 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 25th, 2013 9:25 am
i can tell you something that big is 100% going to the special lane to pay HST...whether OP gets dinged with duty ...no idea.

If OP can fraudently change TVs in and out and perhaps get his friend legally charged for fraud...sure why not.

Talk to any TV report man...certain brands definitely have a higher rate of issues.
I have no idea what you just said beyond the 1st line.
And no, it's not 100%. I've brought back a TV (among other things) on a 24 hour and have been waived.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5037 posts
917 upvotes
Peterborough
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 25th, 2013 3:09 am
There isnt supposed to be discretion on duties. Taxes yes, but not duties.

Practice may be different but my comment was directed towards what is mandatory.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]