• Dec 8th, 2013 2:48 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Sheep but in Canada and support a truly uncompetitive market.

Drive to buffalo, save thousands and support competition.

Anything to declare??! NOPE.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25173 posts
10601 upvotes
GVRtrader wrote:
Nov 27th, 2013 4:33 am
If they asked you to go in to just pay $2, then the custom officer probably thought you were lying (as most that goes down South actually spend a bit more than $20 or $30) to them or you bought a lot of non-taxable items and they didn't ask anymore questions or you were just the random person they decided to flag inside (pretty rare).
To be fair, this was Point Roberts which is pretty much just Vancouver's US Mailbox.
I only brought in $100 worth of goods which is only $5 taxable to begin with (I'm an AB citizen so I don't pay PST when I cross the border, as long as I bring the items back to AB with me)
I honestly thought I was going in for a search too, but they just told me to pay my $2 after examining my invoices and then kicked me out.

So I guess I was a random flag. Either that or they were bored that day.
Aug 26, 2010
55 posts
5 upvotes
I have some first hand experience with this from back in 2009 and I am thinking about it again.
My experience in 2009 was a good one. I bought a TV from amazon.com and had it shipped to a friends house that lived in Michigan. I drive there, picked up the TV, and drove back. I didn't try and sneak anything over the boarder - I just told them and they made me pay. The item was assembled in NA so there was no duty... just taxes. I don't remember the exact difference, but it was close to $1000 even considering the fuel for the drive.
I had a bit of speaker distortion on the tv within the 1 year warranty and with this particular TV the warranty actually said that things were covered in both the USA and Canada - I really lucked out.
Now I am thinking of another TV and really thinking about the same idea.
First I was looking at the UN75F6300.
Last week the TV was at a low of ~$2500 at Costco.com (USA).
Right now there is not much difference between the US and here - $2999 vs $3500
I have started looking at the UN75F7100 and now the discrepancy is making a trip to the US hard to look over.
Many major sites in the states are listing the TV at $4500 and there are 2-3 sites that are in the $3600-3700 range.
Canadian price - $6999
I find that hard to swallow.
I haven't decided if this is the route I want to go - but if I can get a site like amazon.com to price match a sub-$4000 price - I am really considering it.

Like everything over the boarder - the items can really vary in costs.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2807 posts
753 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
garlei wrote:
Nov 24th, 2013 5:52 pm
Hello

I'm looking to buy a new TV and since there are many great deals popping up now anbd I live 30mins away from border. I was wondering if it's worth it to buy a TV from USA and bring it back to Canada.

I'm looking to buy a Samsung F7100 55inch.
Beside the standard taxes, is there any duties involved?

Thanks in advance
When I read the bolded part I thought the time to consider was how long to get to the USA store, through border control twice and back home.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5928 posts
1594 upvotes
BC
Marzipan wrote:
Dec 8th, 2013 1:55 pm
When I read the bolded part I thought the time to consider was how long to get to the USA store, through border control twice and back home.
Juneau is only a few hundred kms. isn't it and line ups shouldn't be too bad?