• Sep 17th, 2018 7:09 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
637 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto

Worth Buying few iPhone xs max?

i was thinking of buying probably 5-7 iPhones and then resell it for slim profit..

i checked the price on kijiji and its going for $100 markup.. has anyone here done this before?

is it really worth doing this ?
25 replies
Nov 28, 2011
783 posts
291 upvotes
Markham
Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Can't be arsed if you ask me
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4022 posts
1340 upvotes
Let the flaming begin
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Mar 3, 2018
561 posts
339 upvotes
GTA
sndeal wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 6:29 pm
i was thinking of buying probably 5-7 iPhones and then resell it for slim profit..

i checked the price on kijiji and its going for $100 markup.. has anyone here done this before?

Is your markup based on the usual delay created by Apple’s marketing team to give the illusion of a shortage and big demand. If so you may have a two week window to benefit from this and catch the must have now crowd.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4871 posts
2971 upvotes
Vancouver
All it will take is one pepper spray beat-down and your whole profit margin goes out the window.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6758 posts
1303 upvotes
Mississauga
sndeal wrote:

If you can buy 7 phones and make $100.00 per phone go for it.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3281 posts
2793 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you really think someone will pay an extra $100 to buy a phone from a random dude on kijiji, instead of just buying it at a store?
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7214 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
Back in the days of the iPhone 4,4s and 5.

You can get make good money reselling new. Releases, not so much anymore as these phones are more expensive and readily available.

No more several months shortages.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2912 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
The demand isn't the same with this release as it has been in the past, so scalpers won't be able to really turn much profit. Which is a good thing.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Feb 13, 2015
791 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think it'll work, Nowadays people are very cautious on kijiji and would wonder why you're selling a brand new iphone, they will be very skeptical and pass on the ad. Well this is how I would feel. The price is so high that I don't think anyone would risk it just to get a phone a few weeks earlier. As someone stated they're better off buying it from an actual retailer.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
3509 posts
1393 upvotes
Vancouver
sndeal wrote:

Just think.. if you can still buy them, so can anyone else. In past years phones would sell out minutes after they went on sale and people would have to wait a month or more to get one. This isn't the case any more. People can still walk into the store on Friday and get a phone. They also get the extra year warranty with their credit card, etc etc.

No, it's not worth it.

Ron.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4022 posts
1340 upvotes
Don’t be one of those guys
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2644 posts
1463 upvotes
Vancouver
Nope because if anyone wants an iPhone Xs, they can buy it here for regular price or sign a contract/work out a contract to get it for a discount. The flipper market really is in Asia/China. If you have connections, you can make ~$100-150 each there at release... of course since you're asking, it likely means you have no such connections.

Add to that, price is likely to go up with another $200 billions tariffs coming... the demand will pretty much not exist lol.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
637 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Il let you guys no how it works out.
Worst case I refund the phones.
Best case I make $150-200. demand will be there for XS max
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4731 posts
902 upvotes
There has to be an easier way to make money .... like getting a job .... even an entry level job is a better use of time then iPhone arbitrage ..... roflmaololol gg troll post OP.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)