Automotive

Is it worth buying a portable garage shelter to keep the car somewhat out of the elements?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 2:31 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes

Is it worth buying a portable garage shelter to keep the car somewhat out of the elements?

I saw this at canadian tire:

249 seems really good...however it seems like you get what you pay for.

we do not have a garage, and i thought it could be better for the car if there was something covering it.

would having one of these be better for the car? i do do regular detailing and wax on it and have it oil sprayed for winter.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/porta ... w#store=91
Images
  • download.png
24 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2084 posts
2426 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you want to be the trashy redneck on your street? If so, get one.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
I would worry about how strong it actually is. Seems like if the wind just scooped right into it, that you'll now have a $250 piece of trash to pick up on either your own or someone elses property.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1272 posts
765 upvotes
I believe these are not allowed in urban Toronto (GTA)

You see lots of these in Montreal but not in Toronto because it's in some bylaw irrc. Best to do your research first.
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12398 posts
4933 upvotes
Toronto
My dad bought one of those because he doesn't have a garage at his bungalow. He put it and later the car got stolen.
Cons for stuff like this is once you covered your car, car theft will also have a shelter to work on stealing your car.
He was only driving a Camry which was in demand to ship out to other countries.

And yes, he lives in Montreal and not all municipal cities allow to have these shelter.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Dec 7th, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: My dad bought one of those because he don't have a garage at his bungalow. He put it and later the car got stolen.
Cons for stuff like this is once you covered your car, car theft will also have a shelter to work on stealing your car.
He was only driving a Camry which was in demand to ship out to other countries.

And yes, he lives in Montreal and not all municipal cities allow to have these shelter.
dont u need a key fob to start those?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote: Do you want to be the trashy redneck on your street? If so, get one.
Oni-kun wrote: I would worry about how strong it actually is. Seems like if the wind just scooped right into it, that you'll now have a $250 piece of trash to pick up on either your own or someone elses property.
LyGuy wrote: I believe these are not allowed in urban Toronto (GTA)

You see lots of these in Montreal but not in Toronto because it's in some bylaw irrc. Best to do your research first.
its legal here as i see some other peopel use em.

i didnt even think it could serve as an attractive place to steal a car :/ we do have security cameras though.

i guess the alterntive is to buy a car cover. my only concern with those is its touching the car and the wind blowing on it could scratch the paint.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12398 posts
4933 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: dont u need a key fob to start those?
To start the car?
Car theft have their own tools to drive your car out. It was a 2005 Camry LE and happened in 2009/2010. No fob, just the key.

And the shelter and covered up dark environment make their job easier.
We live there for 15 years, nothing happened. until we moved out and he put one of those shelter up, then his car is gone.

We bought a car cover for it too while I was in Montreal, it is not a good idea. Your car is wet in winter then you cover it up once you get home and leave it over night. So it keep the humidity inside the cover and eventually more risk to rust out the car?
I would like put those nylon thing to cover the windshield so you don't have to clear the ice off the windshield every morning.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Oct 2, 2017
850 posts
608 upvotes
It's used a lot in Quebec, it's basically for people who don't want to bother shoveling their driveway when it snows (single moms, etc) although you will eventually do some shoveling. People are very well off in my neighborhood and they use them and it doesn't make it ghetto. Shitty houses make your area look ghetto not these and they are usually gone by march.

TLDR; it works but it may be banned depending on your city (because they are snobs)
Last edited by azmongold on Dec 7th, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: its legal here as i see some other peopel use em.

i didnt even think it could serve as an attractive place to steal a car :/ we do have security cameras though.

i guess the alterntive is to buy a car cover. my only concern with those is its touching the car and the wind blowing on it could scratch the paint.
Just because others are using it doesn't make it legal. You should verify with your local rules before wasting money on it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2084 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
I am SO happy these are not allowed in Toronto. They would make the streets look ghetto as hell.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3197 posts
2220 upvotes
ontario
i used one of these to store my boat in the winter. worked great. I did anchor mine down with something more substantial than the anchors they provide. in my case i had 5 gallon pails with a hook cemented in them at each corner. mine was out in the open in the back 40 and held up to the elements well.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Crazy neggers. I could understand disagreeing if it's illegal but to neg an innocent question just because you think it's "ghetto"? Here's news for you if you think like that: if you don't have an enclosed garage, it's already ghetto, get over yourselves, fake wannabe snobs.

Foolishness.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Apr 29, 2017
446 posts
541 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Crazy neggers. I could understand disagreeing if it's illegal but to neg an innocent question just because you think it's "ghetto"? Here's news for you if you think like that: if you don't have an enclosed garage, it's already ghetto, get over yourselves, fake wannabe snobs.

Foolishness.

This needed to be said. Can't stand up tight people who get so strung up over trivial crap and try so hard to be high class
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
2059 posts
359 upvotes
prochargedv8 wrote: This needed to be said. Can't stand up tight people who get so strung up over trivial crap and try so hard to be high class
thankyou
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
dassub wrote: I am SO happy these are not allowed in Toronto. They would make the streets look ghetto as hell.
Not sure why people are down voting the thread for the question.

But as mentioned by a couple others, Toronto bylaws do not allow the use of these.

I’m also one of those asses that that would call in my neighbors if I saw them put one up, as they make the neighborhood look cheap and run down. Same with people who put up traps around their car ports- building a wall is fine, but a tarp makes the entire neighborhood look like crap.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2643 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
How much does it cost to build a garage then?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: Not sure why people are down voting the thread for the question.

But as mentioned by a couple others, Toronto bylaws do not allow the use of these.

I’m also one of those asses that that would call in my neighbors if I saw them put one up, as they make the neighborhood look cheap and run down. Same with people who put up traps around their car ports- building a wall is fine, but a tarp makes the entire neighborhood look like crap.
Did the OP even buy his car? Or were they all hypothetical scenarios? :)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
AtlsNBP wrote: How much does it cost to build a garage then?
In Toronto probably $250,000

Elsewhere, $ 25,000
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Btw, to be clear I'm not saying homes w/o garages are ghetto (there are some expensive old-style properties predating cars for example), just following those neggers' flawed logic, which is nonsense, obviously.

Anyway, I personally don't automatically think it's ghetto, depends how it looks. Ftn over form I say, esp in our Cdn winters.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)