Automotive

Is it worth buying a portable garage shelter to keep the car somewhat out of the elements?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 2:31 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1261 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Oni-kun wrote: I would worry about how strong it actually is. Seems like if the wind just scooped right into it, that you'll now have a $250 piece of trash to pick up on either your own or someone elses property.
I'd be worried about it collapsing and damaging my car!
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4565 posts
3506 upvotes
Montreal
tranquility922 wrote: Crazy neggers. I could understand disagreeing if it's illegal but to neg an innocent question just because you think it's "ghetto"? Here's news for you if you think like that: if you don't have an enclosed garage, it's already ghetto, get over yourselves, fake wannabe snobs.

Foolishness.
Amen, too many people with head up their own butt. It's white, blends right in after it snows, unless snow is gold and blue or something in your posh neighborhood.

As for the shelter, it's really narrow unless you get the double wide, you can barely open doors on both side. You will need some sort of tie down, either bolts into driveway or guylines, blocks on the lower bar isn't enough in wind gusts. I don't think it protects the car in anyway, just save some time in the morning since you don't have to shovel (as much) snow to get out of driveway. On the occasional freezing rain it works awesome though.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
I remember seeing one of these in Quebec City and it also had a 'tunnel' connected to it that went to the front door of the house
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
AtlsNBP wrote: How much does it cost to build a garage then?
~$20-60K, a carport would be much cheaper.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12398 posts
4933 upvotes
Toronto
I think you need city's approval for you to build one?

Once built, it may increase the house's value? or just sell the place and move ?

I'm raised in a house with no garage. moved out and lived in condo with underground parking and now have garage in the house.
Secure and keep the car above freezing temperature and never have to shave the ice off in the morning.
Only thing is work parking is outdoor.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015