• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 8:23 pm
[OP]
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
25 posts
6 upvotes

Is it worth fixing an Ipad 2 ?

My parents have an Ipad 2. They bought it in 2012 brand new.

I know its old, but they only use it to watch YOUTUBE videos that's it. They don't use for any other purpose. They have NO need for the latest Ipad or Samsung Galaxy Tabs or anything.

For everything else they use their desktop. The Ipad 2 is in very good condition cosmetically.

But off late the charging is very slow..maybe the battery is gone or become weak by now. Also every now & then the Ipad just crashes. Like it will just go blank screen or freeze up, but will be back to normal on restart.

Is it worth fixing it ? The cost of repair is probably worth more than the price of a second hand used Ipad, I guess ?

Are there any decent brand name $ 100 - 10 Inch tablets available ? Could be refurbished and used and older models. Don't want to try Kijiji or Ebay. Probably straight from the company or retail stores.

Preferably from Apple or Samsung ( Android ) or even Microsoft ( Windows - Surface )
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1046 posts
146 upvotes
Markham
its going to be hard to find a brand name for $100 even as a refurb. You might get some chance if you hit the states for black friday sale, otherwise I would suggest upping your budget to at least $200 especially for a 10" tab
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1430 posts
758 upvotes
Don't bother fixing the iPad 2

We had one and it too started to have charging issues. And we found that as tech has upgraded that more and more the iPad 2 was not compatible (surprised they can still run recent editions of YouTube for example).

Just wipe the old one clean (do not forget to off-load any photos) and then recycle it.

We bought a new generation iPad. No regrets.

Had a good laugh at how much the power of the new iPad has expanded in the last 5 years for the money (old iPad 2 was 32GB... new iPad is 128GB). New one was about $ 100 cheaper than the old one... and its considerably lighter weight too.

If they do not want to spend that much again on an Apple (no regrets here), then look to Staples or Costco for other brand names ... or watch for a Black Friday deal.
Jan 15, 2010
333 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
If all they do is watch youtube on it and are fine with, then I would get it fixed. Getting them a newer device just to watch youtube videos is probably not worth the price.

Since the last supported major upgrade on that iPad (I can't remember if it was 8 or 9) they made it dog slow. Doing anything on it (even browsing) is sometimes painful. I use mine to only read books or magazines on. But event those apps are frustratingly slow.
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1393 upvotes
Richmond
Ipad 2 still runs a lot of things just fine, but Apple is working hard to make it obsolete, so it probably doesn't have much time left. Sounds like the problems you mentioned are battery-related, and it is possible to replace the battery on the iPad 2 cost-effectively, so it might be worth it.

Having said that, my mother has an iPad 2, and she's been complaining about the speed and the memory for a while, so we're replacing it with a new iPad 2017. The price is as low as US$250 for the 32-Gbyte version in the Black Friday U.S. fliyers.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25414 posts
2755 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The cost for the repair is not worth it.

I rather add a little more money and get something more modern. It will feel faster and last longer.

Repairing the old iPad will mean there will be another problem a year from now.
May 15, 2017
41 posts
7 upvotes
We have an iPad 2 at our house and it’s definitelt not worrying sinking another penny into. As someone else said, if they are just using it for YouTube browsing, buy a cheaper 10” android tablet.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2307 upvotes
Edmonton
You don't really "fix" things like an iPad. You replace entire components. In your case, you'd be replacing the entire main board, and be lucky to keep the battery and screen. Cost would be more than the thing is worth, especially for something that's that badly outdated.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6461 posts
1670 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The iPAD crashing may be more a symptom of compatibility issues with either the apps or iOS. Have you installed the latest update?

As for the battery, other than charging slowly, is the battery holding a charge? Typically as Lithion batteries age, they will have shorter runtime as well as take a lot longer to complete charging (ie. spend a lot of time at 98-99% before going to 100%). If that's what you are seeing, then replacing the battery is all that is needed. Lots of places around that will replace the battery OR if you are handy, you can just order a replacement battery for about $10 to $20 US shipped (as seen on e-Bay) with the tools to do the work... $10 to $20 isn't a whole lot of investment if nothing else is wrong and your parents are happy with it.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3889 posts
362 upvotes
Montreal
I would say it probably doesn't pay to repair it. For one thing, its operating system is many versions behind with no hope of upgrades. My wife hs tried to install pps only to have them stop because it needed a newer operating version. With iOS 11 now out, the situation can only get worse.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6461 posts
1670 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Phils wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:59 pm
I would say it probably doesn't pay to repair it. For one thing, its operating system is many versions behind with no hope of upgrades. My wife hs tried to install pps only to have them stop because it needed a newer operating version. With iOS 11 now out, the situation can only get worse.
But the OP's parents only use it to watch YouTube videos so as long as they can continue to watch YouTube videos, why upgrade?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25414 posts
2755 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
craftsman wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 12:34 am
But the OP's parents only use it to watch YouTube videos so as long as they can continue to watch YouTube videos, why upgrade?
Why upgrade? You can buy a used notebook that would work better than an iPad for YouTube and it will be cheaper than the cost of the repair.

It's like a 20 year old car. Repair something today, something else will break a few months from now.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14110 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely don't waste money repairing an iPad 2. It's way too old and slow now, and that's running OS 9 which with time will only become more problematic in terms of features and compatibility. Buy a new iPad, or if budget is an issue, buy an Android tablet.

Don't buy a laptop for YouTube. Your parents may end up hating your for it. Yes, it can be more flexible than a tablet, but it's just so much simpler using an app on a simple tablet than having to deal with a full-on computer OS and a browser.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10597 posts
1682 upvotes
Ottawa
vote for not fixing it. we have an Ipad 2 which barely works, and it's going to be recycled.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6461 posts
1670 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gee wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 5:46 am
Why upgrade? You can buy a used notebook that would work better than an iPad for YouTube and it will be cheaper than the cost of the repair.

It's like a 20 year old car. Repair something today, something else will break a few months from now.
What's your time worth in teaching the parents how to use the notebook? Plus I would argue that a notebook isn't as easy to view YouTube videos as a tablet. So, why upgrade?