Entertainment

Worth paying an extra $300 for Sony x900f 65" over the Costco Vizio p65" TV?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2019 5:30 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
310 posts
88 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Worth paying an extra $300 for Sony x900f 65" over the Costco Vizio p65" TV?

I was able to get in on the costco vizio p65" TV during the black friday sale ($1349 + tax).

There has been a lot of discussion in both the vizio p65 TV threads as well as the sony x900f 65" threads that based on the $2000 sale price we saw for the sony x900f during the black friday/boxing day sales, that the difference in quality did not justify the $650-$700 price difference between the 2 sets.

Now, I was able to negotiate the price of the sony x900f 65" down to around $1650 + tax at a local store so an additional $300 over the $1349 i paid for the 65" vizio through costco. I recognize that costco always has an edge over other retailers in terms of their warranty/return/exchange but apart from that, I'm trying to identify if with the smaller price difference if the sony would be a safer bet or is the vizio p65 still a better value?

If it changes anything, we hardly have access to 4k tv content apart from having access to amazon prime video. The rest of the content we would be watching for the foreseeable near future at least will be 1080p if not at times 720p.
Last edited by RigorMortis on Apr 25th, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5169 posts
2144 upvotes
RigorMortis wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 5:32 pm
I was able to get in on the costco vizio p65" TV during the black friday sale ($1349 + tax).

There has been a lot of discussion in both the vizio p65 TV threads as well as the sony x900f 65" threads that based on the $2000 sale price we saw for the sony x900f during the black friday/boxing day sales, that the difference in quality did not justify the $650-$700 price difference between the 2 sets.

Now, I was able to negotiate the price of the sony x900f 65" down to around $1650 + tax at a local store so an additional $300 over the $1349 i paid for the 65" vizio through costco. I recognize that costco always has an edge over other retailers in terms of their warranty/return/exchange but apart from that, I'm trying to identify if with the smaller price difference if the sony would be a safer bet or is the vizio p65 still a better value?

If it changes anything, we hardly have access to 4k tv content apart from having access to amazon prime video. The rest of the content we would be watching for the foreseeable near future at least will be 1080p if not at times 720p.
Dirty screen effect wont be there with the sony, and the sony has superior upscaling for 480 and 720p material. As for the Vizio, it has better blacks but with dirty screen effect which will be evident when watching sports events on tv, and the upscaling will be noticeably more blurry with the vizio.

All around better would be the sony. You've spent enough time on TVs maybe you should just spurge on this and get something that you can live with.
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
310 posts
88 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Posted this in the Computer and Electronics thread but this might be the more appropriate forum for my question.

Nov 7, 2015
109 posts
37 upvotes
Is most of the content you're watching native 4K or will it be 720p/1080p? The x900F has a better processor thus the upscaling is better. Take that into consideration. Also for whatever reason Xbox/PS4 do not output Dolby Vision on Netflix, Prime, etc on the Vizio. BUT if you use the VIZIO built in Netflix, Prime then it outputs Dolby Vision. So there is a workaround but not if you want to use your gaming system as a "central ALL-IN-ONE media box"
Aug 14, 2007
56 posts
19 upvotes
Montreal
If you have no issues and satisfied with the picture quality of the Vizio I would keep it and save the $ 300, Sony tend to be more reliable than Vizio but if you bought the extended warranty from Costco reliability becomes less of an issue.
If you do a search in the forum sectiion you will find other threads that will give you other comments or suggestions, good luck on your decision either TV are excellent.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1166 posts
351 upvotes
I bought the 55” version of the Sony you are looking at and love it so far. Few things I would change like going into your system menu to enable HDR for your advance 4K content. That should just be enabled from the get go if HDMI 2&3 are the only ones that use it. Having Netflix and Prime built in is nice and look great on it, but might switch my Netflix shared account to my Xbox One X to enjoy on my projector instead. Sorry I have no comment on the Vizio set.
[external link removed]