Home & Garden

Worth replacing old valve with ball valve for main water shut off valve?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 11:18 pm
[OP]
Aug 27, 2014
165 posts
41 upvotes

Worth replacing old valve with ball valve for main water shut off valve?

I have lots of basement-related questions lately.

So I'll likely have a plumber come home and since everything is easily accessible, I'd like to get stuff done.

Would it be worth replacing the old-school gate valve (looks like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/finehomebuildi ... ves_ld.jpg, not sure of exact name), for our main water shut off, with a ball valve? The house/plumbing is 25 years old.

I like to shut off the water supply when we're away from home for a week or more, which is a couple times a year. And I hear that the ball valves last longer and are easier to shut off in case of emergency. But I do not have any specific issue with the current gate valve.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3035 posts
1324 upvotes
Replace it now ... the day will come when it won't shut off when you are flooding and you don't ever want to see that day. Or if you do get it shut off and it won't open back up.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4022 posts
1340 upvotes

FYI that’s a globe valve not a gate
Last edited by Red_Army on Oct 10th, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8331 posts
6879 upvotes
Oakville
pootza wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 3:55 pm
Replace it now ... the day will come when it won't shut off when you are flooding and you don't ever want to see that day. Or if you do get it shut off and it won't open back up.
+1, may as we do it know since you already have a guy coming.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1100 posts
198 upvotes
OTTAWA
You need to call City to shut off their water supply first.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
5150 posts
2083 upvotes
Paris
Rockymountain wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:30 pm
You need to call City to shut off their water supply first.
I have a shut off on both sides of the meter. Depends which side OP means I guess. City shutting off water could be free for you to borrow the tool or a few hundred bucks in Mississauga.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1732 posts
94 upvotes
Mississauga
as others said, you will need teh city to come shut the water off....

so what i did was....left the shut off as is...and then i installed a ball valve after it (at any point after but before the pipe branches off).

this way i didnt spend money for the city and didn't have to wait for their schedule
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13023 posts
1605 upvotes
LuxErus wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 3:21 pm

So I'll likely have a plumber come home and since everything is easily accessible, I'd like to get stuff done.

Would it be worth replacing the old-school gate valve (looks like this: https://s3.amazonaws.com/finehomebuildi ... ves_ld.jpg, not sure of exact name), for our main water shut off, with a ball valve? The house/plumbing is 25 years old.

I like to shut off the water supply when we're away from home for a week or more, which is a couple times a year. And I hear that the ball valves last longer and are easier to shut off in case of emergency. But I do not have any specific issue with the current gate valve.
Since you are at it, I would also change washer and dryer hoses and replace them with a quality stainless steel braided hoses. Also install a backwater valve or a sump pump (depending where you live).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
1879 posts
334 upvotes
Montreal
I was also thinking about replacing my plumbing valve. Same type of valve as you have, installed in 1979...

I figured that I could close the current valve and check that it is not leaking. If not leaking I'll just install a second valve further up the main pipe. That way I can just leave the old valve there and never touch it anymore.
Jan 15, 2010
458 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
AMD wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 12:12 pm
I figured that I could close the current valve and check that it is not leaking. If not leaking I'll just install a second valve further up the main pipe. That way I can just leave the old valve there and never touch it anymore.
This is what I was thinking of getting done. Any negatives to doing it this way?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
5620 posts
1215 upvotes
Toronto
LuxErus wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 3:21 pm

Mine also sucks. I'm just going to shut off the water and add another (new) shutoff valve somewhere down the water line.

It's simple job that will take 5 minutes. They even have the Sharkbite valves now that you simply "push" in. Easy job.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Mortgage Agent and Real Estate Sales Representative
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2087 posts
165 upvotes
AMD wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 12:12 pm
If not leaking I'll just install a second valve further up the main pipe. That way I can just leave the old valve there and never touch it anymore.
My coworker went to shut off his main water valve to do some work upstairs and it started leaking. He had to call city and I think he paid $150 for them to shut off so he could have plumber replace with new valve. Total damage was about $450 plus a very upset wife for 36 hours.

My main shut off in my home is probably original and 17 years old. I am fearful of the same thing happening so I installed a newer and hopefully better shut off after the old one. It doesn't have a rubber seal that can get dry and crack but nylon. So will just stop using original one going forward.
Images
  • IMG-20180727-WA0017.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2268 posts
1157 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
If you are opening and closing your main shut off a couple times a year, you probably don't need to replace anything.
The real problem arises when the valve never gets 'exercised', and seizes up.
It doesn't hurt to have a ball valve past the meter, though.

On a similar note: I used to bitch about builders cheaping out by not installing shut offs at every fixture. I've since decided that it's actually better that they haven't, because; i): They inevitably are either frozen open or leak if disturbed, and, ii): The main shut off gets exercised once in a while.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
2268 posts
1157 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Jerico wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:59 pm
.City shutting off water could be free for you to borrow the tool or a few hundred bucks in Mississauga.
That's a very risky proposition to mess with that curb shut off.
I wish I'd bookmarked it, but there was a YouTube of some plumbers who requested the City of Toronto to shut off a supply at the curb, so they could change out a townhouse unit's main shut off. It was somewhere along Finch Ave, IIRC.
City arrived, then snapped off the curb side valve. In order to dig up and replace the curb side valve, they had to go out to the main street. They then managed to break off that shut off . In order to replace that, they had to shut off the supply for thousands of homes.
The plumber thought was hilarious, and estimated it at about $30,000 in overtime (not out of his pocket of course). Had he messed with it, it would have been a different story.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1038 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
I'd replace the building control valve to something newer and don't forgot to regularly exercise it.

As for stacking valves (installing one above the other) I'd check with your municipality as it may be against by laws.

Depending on where you live I would get the city to shut of the water at the curb box/corporation stop. In most places it's between $100-$200, in some you can even pick up the key at the local fire station or water department and do it yourself. If you do to yourself, or hire a plumber; the valve breaks and they weren't authorized to use it you're looking at a very costly repair.