Home & Garden

Worth replacing old valve with ball valve for main water shut off valve?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 11:28 am
Apr 26, 2013
954 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:21 am
...They then managed to break off that shut off . In order to replace that, they had to shut off the supply for thousands of homes.
We will usually repair that live so we do not inconvenience other clients but each situation is unique, regardless it is a very costly repair.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2049 posts
141 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:58 pm
On a similar note: I used to bitch about builders cheaping out by not installing shut offs at every fixture. I've since decided that it's actually better that they haven't, because; i): They inevitably are either frozen open or leak if disturbed, and, ii): The main shut off gets exercised once in a while.
I bet this guy wishes there was a shut off under this bathroom vanity sink :)

Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3531 posts
941 upvotes
mwong168 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:09 am
I bet this guy wishes there was a shut off under this bathroom vanity sink :)

I remember watching that years ago. I couldn’t stop laughing at the lady with the vacuum
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4844 posts
1597 upvotes
Paris
MrFrugal1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:21 am
That's a very risky proposition to mess with that curb shut off.
I wish I'd bookmarked it, but there was a YouTube of some plumbers who requested the City of Toronto to shut off a supply at the curb, so they could change out a townhouse unit's main shut off. It was somewhere along Finch Ave, IIRC.
City arrived, then snapped off the curb side valve. In order to dig up and replace the curb side valve, they had to go out to the main street. They then managed to break off that shut off . In order to replace that, they had to shut off the supply for thousands of homes.
The plumber thought was hilarious, and estimated it at about $30,000 in overtime (not out of his pocket of course). Had he messed with it, it would have been a different story.
I’m not saying I would do it, just that the option exists in some cities.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2274 posts
1146 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: I remember watching that years ago. I couldn’t stop laughing at the lady with the vacuum
This is not a vacuum Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. It's a carpet washing machine. You wet the carpet and you pick up water and detergent with that machine. Great tool for what they have to deal with Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3531 posts
941 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 2:20 pm
This is not a vacuum Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. It's a carpet washing machine. You wet the carpet and you pick up water and detergent with that machine. Great tool for what they have to deal with Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Sorry, “wet” vacuum
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1011 posts
342 upvotes
Yes, totally. I got mine replaced last year - I paid a total of $170, which was really just the plumber's time...totally worth the peace of mind! You have to contact city to shut off water - I didn't have to pay for that...was a pretty smooth and quick process. I'm not in the GTA (before I get any requests for contact info lol)
Apr 27, 2015
162 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Who did you use if you dont mind me asking? Thanks
hierophant wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 7:20 pm
Yes, totally. I got mine replaced last year - I paid a total of $170, which was really just the plumber's time...totally worth the peace of mind! You have to contact city to shut off water - I didn't have to pay for that...was a pretty smooth and quick process. I'm not in the GTA (before I get any requests for contact info lol)
Jul 7, 2017
845 posts
288 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
My B-i-L lives in an area with very hard aquifer water. Had to really crank the main valve to shut if off. I had to work on the dishwasher and that valve, along with the other valves under the kitchen sink (and presumably all through the house), were all frozen with mineral deposits. Wholly recommended to replace these valves.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD