Parenting

Is it worth it to sell my crib/car seat and stroller combo?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2013 3:46 pm
Banned
Aug 27, 2010
24 posts
1 upvote

Is it worth it to sell my crib/car seat and stroller combo?

Hi everyone,

I've never purchased or sold used stuff before and was looking for advice from moms who have
My daughter does not sleep in her crib and it just sits in my room taking up space and she has outgrown her
carseat and her stroller that came with it is too bulky.

I paid 300 for the crib and 250 + 70 for mattress for the carseat/stroller combo.
Crib barely only 5 months old, barely slept on
Carseat/stroller 5 months old - stroller used like 4 times

whats a good used resell value, and is it worth it to do so on kijiji or should I just give them away?

Let me know!

Also if you have suggestions on making a 5 month old sleep through the night I'd love hear those too.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1425 posts
113 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
go to once upon a child to get a quote. otherwise see what others are asking for for similar items on craiglist to establish your own value.
Jul 21, 2006
653 posts
5 upvotes
flyinggonzo wrote:
Dec 24th, 2012 1:12 am
go to once upon a child to get a quote. otherwise see what others are asking for for similar items on craiglist to establish your own value.
Once upon a child will not take the car seat.
Apr 4, 2010
315 posts
128 upvotes
I'd say at least 50% off what you paid if you want to sell it soon. People probably don't care how many times you used it, it is used that's all that matters. It also depends on what kind of stroller & car seat it is (brand)

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2865 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
Even if she doesn't sleep in the crib right now (sleeps with you?), she may eventually sleep in there between now and, say, three to four years old (before she moves to a separate bed) so you may need it again. If it's taking up a lot of space, disassemble it and store it. It just seems a bit soon to get rid of the crib since sleeping arrangements can change quickly, especially for infants.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1171 posts
135 upvotes
Half of what you paid is the most you will get on kijiji unless you're selling a bugaboo or similar high end stroller for example in which case you can get closer to 70%

Once upon a child will offer you half of what you can get on kijiji.
Feb 7, 2010
83 posts
20 upvotes
I would not sell the mattress if you plan on using toddler bed in the future as it fits in it.
All the things you mentioned, depending on the brand name you can get either 50% back or more. I sold my 3 strollers at nearly 75%.
I find thoroughly cleaning it (spotlessly) and taking a nicely staged pictures put you a world apart from people that display "as is" items. I truly believe that's how I got so much money for my stuff.

As for sleeping through the night, my twins did not until they were 9 months almost and through the night was 5 hour stretch. I believe doctor gives you an ok to sleep-train when your child reached that magic weight of 15 pounds, which means, metabolically speaking, they don't really need a nighttime feeding. If your child is bottle fed, you can gradually (every 2-3 nights) reduce formula quantity.
Feb 19, 2011
202 posts
20 upvotes
What brand of carseat/stroller? That will make a huge difference to resale. Big name strollers like Bugaboo and Uppababy retain a lot of their value (carseats not quite as much but still may be worthwhile).

As for the crib, I think that will be a harder sell unless you offer a great deal. Also, I agree that you should keep it. Hopefully your child will sleep in it in the future!
Banned
Dec 26, 2012
5 posts
It is too early to sell your crib. You can save it for the next baby if you plan to have more children in future. If your baby doesn't sleep in it, you can still use your crib as a temporary storage for baby stuff. That is what I did with my crib.

It is very normal for a baby of 5 months to wake up several times a night. Mine is 12 months now ans I still have to get up 3 times or more to feed him or just to hold and rock him to sleep.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 27, 2010
24 posts
1 upvote
that actually makes sense. I was thinking to allow her to sleep with me until she moves into her own bed but I would LOVE if she'd sleep in her crib before then. Maybe once she's a little older I can make her more comfortable sleeping in her crib. do you have any suggestions?
[OP]
Banned
Aug 27, 2010
24 posts
1 upvote
thanks everyone! i think i'm just going to keep my crib up for now. storage isn't an issue my bedroom is really big and we have more than enough space for both of our furniture.

I do plan to have more children so I can always use it for my next child if she never sleep in it.

@lapoon thanks for telling me this. whenever I read the baby updates they say babies should be sleeping through the night by now and I feel the older my daughter gets the less she wants to sleep at night
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1425 posts
113 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
Importz wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 12:30 pm
Doesn't baby car seat expire?
Yes. I *believe* it's 7 years after manufacture (don't quote me though).
Dec 11, 2007
46 posts
2 upvotes
You don't have to get half off what you pay when you sell them. I was able to sell my baby's travel system at Toronto Classifieds. For price, I simply put "please contact". People who PMed me were serious about buying the stuff and did not ask for huge price reduction.
× < >