Wheels and Tires

Is it worth spending money on wheel locks?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 10:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
3974 posts
978 upvotes
Canuckland

Is it worth spending money on wheel locks?

What do you guys think? Do you have any experience with it?
36 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1302 posts
684 upvotes
Fancy aftermarket rims, sure. But factory rims on a run-of-the-mill mass market car, waste of time. I pulled mine off and replaced them with normal bolts. Had a blow-out at night that I had to change on the side of the road, with minimal light, and having to locate a lock key would have been a giant PITA.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7404 posts
1260 upvotes
????
What rims you have OP?
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 300Mbps unlimited $25
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2077 posts
1316 upvotes
no. Someone wants your wheels bad enough they will spend 20 bucks on cheap sockets and take them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7582 posts
5895 upvotes
Oakville
Not worth it for any rims. They're not going to stop any real thief, and they're more likely to be lost and strand you somewhere because you can't change the wheel.

Just to tell you how easy it is to remove without the key, my friend lost their key and I easily removed them by pounding a socket onto the wheel lock. Took about 20 seconds longer to remove a wheel.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1471 posts
829 upvotes
Saudi Arabia
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:16 pm
Fancy aftermarket rims, sure. But factory rims on a run-of-the-mill mass market car, waste of time. I pulled mine off and replaced them with normal bolts. Had a blow-out at night that I had to change on the side of the road, with minimal light, and having to locate a lock key would have been a giant PITA.
LOL, say that to the hundreds of 2016-2017 Accord Sport owners who had their rims jacked or the owners of BMWs with M-Sport factory rims.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12936 posts
1537 upvotes
The fact that you have a wheel lock may make the thief go to the next car without a wheel lock and save you both $$$ and a

feeling of being violated is good enough for me. Most better quality wheel lock sets come with a single key. I usually

recommend to order a second key and keep it at home. For the times when Murphy's Law bites you in the ass,

just have a flashlight and prior knowledge on the removal of either front or rear wheels. Not sure if you are of age and

remember the contraption (Club 1000) which you would mount across a steering wheel to make a car theft more difficult. Yes,

there are thousands of ways to steal a car by a professional car thief but for the amateurs, it make a difference between

waking up in the morning and still having your four rims and tires still shining on that car. For $50+ it is not a bad

investment.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1194 posts
765 upvotes
Wheel locks may deter a thief who wants any wheels just to resell them.

Wheel locks will not deter a thief who wants your specific wheels.
Last edited by billford on Feb 14th, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1410 posts
289 upvotes
Mississauga
burnt69 wrote:
Yea but most fancy aftermarket rims are cut specific for that car / offset / bolt pattern that it would make it harder for the thief to turn over.

I actually have wheel locks on my factory rims, which I use in winter. But don't on my fancy aftermarket summer shoes :)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16996 posts
1420 upvotes
Woodbridge
No.

I only have them because my boy Billy/tires23 hooked me up.

As posted if they really want them they'll find a way. Also, it's a PITA if you forget or lose the wheel lock.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1823 posts
736 upvotes
Ontario
burnt69 wrote:
Also I had issues with Toyota main dealer constantly over tightening the wheel nuts then when I came to seasonally swap the rims I had issues applying enough torque to the locknut and one broke/stripped. Now I do not use them (locknuts or dealer). Also with locknuts I apply a little less grunt to the locknut than the other nuts and always slacken the locknut off before the other nuts when removing.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21281 posts
6164 upvotes
Toronto
wow. Those are highly sought after. wheel locks or no wheel locks, if your car is being targeted for those blings ($10K for just the wheels), then they will take them if you park your cars on the streets or even on your own driveway.
Feb 4, 2017
151 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
$50 peace of mind. Its not rare to have customers come in with "my rims and tires were stolen off our driveway" - Doesnt matter what model car.

I had a stretch of customers come in during the winter time couple years back when winter tires were selling out everywhere. Alloy rims that had winter rubber on them were being stolen off driveways.

Will wheel lock prevent it from happening? No. But if it will make them second guess taking yours, then worth the $50 imo.