Computers & Electronics

Worth swapping out 32Gb SSD in Dell XPS 15 9560?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 11:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1398 posts
284 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Worth swapping out 32Gb SSD in Dell XPS 15 9560?

Just ordered this laptop and see it comes with a 32GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I assume the SSD is used as a cache and the HDD holds the OS. So would there be a worth while performance gain by keeping the HDD as storage, and swap out the small SSD for a larger SSD to hold the OS? Someone else suggested that the 32gb SSD is integrated into the HDD, like this one here.

Does anyone know if this laptop has two seperate drives, one SSD and a HDD, or is it just one drive? If there is a separate SSD are there certain SSD's that I should look at to upgrade it with?
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
801 upvotes
Yes it is separate (Not SSHD) and uses Intel Smart Response Technology to speed up the system, you can replace it with any M.2 drive.

Disable Intel SRT before making any changes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1398 posts
284 upvotes
Burlington, ON
tkyoshi wrote: Yes it is separate (Not SSHD) and uses Intel Smart Response Technology to speed up the system, you can replace it with any M.2 drive.

So would this one here from newegg work?
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
The question to be answered is whether there will be a noticeable improvement in performance. SSD is better than HDD but the SSD + HDD combo is pretty quick already and may not be much better with a big-SSD + HDD.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6742 posts
5583 upvotes
North York
tkyoshi wrote: Yes it is separate (Not SSHD) and uses Intel Smart Response Technology to speed up the system, you can replace it with any M.2 drive.

are you sure it's m2?

I had older 32gb cache, and they use msata. Actually took it out and use on my laptop
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
801 upvotes
konsensei wrote: are you sure it's m2?

I had older 32gb cache, and they use msata. Actually took it out and use on my laptop
For the 9550/60 it should be the same Motherboard for both models (HDD/SSD Only), just the HDD one has the shorter battery to accommodate the caddy.

For NVMe mode make sure you switch the SATA mode to ACHI instead, this will detach the M.2 slot from the Intel RST controller and then you can use native nVME drivers.

This thread may give you more insight/reading as well:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... de.787418/