Parenting & Family

would bilingual education be too much burden for young kids?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 2:10 am
Jun 23, 2016
47 posts
18 upvotes
FinancialFreedom wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 4:34 pm
French is ONLY valuable if you want a civil position Federally. That is it.

Mandarin means you can actually network and work with others from all over the world. Whether you're for or against globalism, it is happening. We now live in a global world. Kids would be much better of learning Mandarin / Hindi as a 2nd language than French or Spanish.
That's BS. I work in Ontario. Not a federal employee. And at least 60 to 70% of my calls and clients are French. Also of note, the only people who believe this don't speak another language.
Oct 17, 2002
634 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 1:53 am
French is useful also in a lot of national sales jobs, call centers, hugely useful for teachers and in some places restaurants and other service industry jobs.
lol. That's one way to sell the French language.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
14 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks a lot for your inputs.
I definitely hate the idea of forcing my kid to learn another language, I've been forced to take a lot of classes when I was young(ironically, English is one of them, which I actually appreciate today.)
We will try to give him more Mandarin input. The problem is that we don't have families here, so the only people who can speak Mandarin to him are us. If there is a larger Mandarin environment, maybe he will pick it up faster.
Besides, I think the reason that I tend to speak English more at home is that his response is much faster when I speak English (such as sit, eat, out, go, put on your socks etc)
We also thought about French immersion. I was told by some Chinese parents that as long as kids have a French tutor, they could develop three languages ( English, French, Mandarin) simultaneously. However, My wife strongly opposes the idea for it might place too much burden on our son since neither of us speaks French and his English might suffer as well since we don't speak perfect English at home.
Last edited by Andrewhl on Nov 7th, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
14 posts
5 upvotes
btw, I've lived in California for some time before I moved here. I totally agree that Spanish is a very promising language.
But I also like French since it opens a door to Europe and some of the Former French African colonies.
Who knows where our son will end up to.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1361 posts
521 upvotes
OTTAWA
KennyX wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 12:45 pm
lol. That's one way to sell the French language.
I am not trying to sell French. Honestly for the most part any second language isn't that useful in North America. In Canada I don't think it is really even debatable that French is by far the most useful. Certainly less than 1% of jobs in Toronto but more than all other languages combined. Even in Vancouver do a job search and you will more jobs requiring French than Mandarin. As for jobs I know we all want our kids to be doctors and Investment bankers but a lot of people struggle for any job coming out of university so a leg up is nice.

As for French Immersion I agree with others the main benefit and why people choose it isn't the French as much as the more selective schools. Personally I would rather my kids write well in English than speak French so lean away from French Immersion but the quality is so much better especially here in Ottawa it was an obvious choice.

Back to the original question I see no harm at all in speaking your native language at home but be realistic about the chances of them becoming completely fluent and literate. My experience is it is tough to achieve.