Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Would CP/Couriers have issue if I bubble wrapped the outside of a retail box?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2014 1:03 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2922 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta

Would CP/Couriers have issue if I bubble wrapped the outside of a retail box?

I have REAMS of high quality, commercial bubble wrap left over from a move. I have some things I want to sell on eBay, and I was thinking I could cut the bubble wrap nicely and tape it up outside the retail box to protect it.

Would this be kosher? It would help me get rid of all this damn bubble wrap and save me money on some packaging...
7 replies
Jul 10, 2005
756 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
UPS has a specific surcharge if the outer layer of a parcel is not corrugated cardboard
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2922 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta
dani_toronto wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2014 12:56 pm
UPS has a specific surcharge if the outer layer of a parcel is not corrugated cardboard
Really! I wonder how I'd even pay such a surcharge through eShipper...

EDIT: I think I found the clause you remembered but I don't think it applies to a regular, rectangular box covered in padding:

Additional Handling Fee
Additional Handling applies to the following:

Any article that is encased in an outside shipping container made of metal or wood
Any cylindrical item, such as a barrel, drum, pail, or tire, that is not fully encased in a corrugated cardboard shipping container
Any package with the longest side exceeding 60 inches (152 cm) or its second-longest side exceeding 30 inches (76 cm)
Any package with an actual weight greater than 70 pounds (32 kg)
Each package in a shipment where the average weight per package is greater than 70 pounds (32 kg) and the weight for each package is not specified on the source document or the UPS automated shipping system used

Additional Handling will not be assessed to packages qualifying for a Large Package Surcharge.

UPS also reserves the right to assess the Additional Handling Charge for any package that, in UPS's sole discretion, requires special handling.
Dec 3, 2014
19 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bubble wrap on the outside of a package......Problems on the conveyor belt that is used to move the parcels in the distribution plant. Plus how will the labels stick to the wrap ? Not very well I think.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Apr 2, 2011
468 posts
159 upvotes
Bubble wrap on the outside of packages are fine. As long as a delivery label can be stuck firmly to the wrap.
Jul 10, 2005
756 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
Every time we make a parcel (and we do hundreds per week) our goal is to make it as "low profile" as possible, in the sense that it doesn't stand out from the standard style the couriers expect. Couriers have huge machines to handle parcels and they are tailored to certain kinds of parcels. Anything that's out of the ordinary can result in delays, damages, losses, surcharges, or all of the above.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2922 posts
406 upvotes
Alberta
Jon Lai wrote:
Dec 30th, 2014 12:53 am
What's the reason you'd do this? Always put it inside the box.
To protect the retail box itself.