• Nov 8th, 2018 10:39 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16467 posts
1452 upvotes
Space for rent

Would like advice on dental implant / bone graft

I wanted to address a deeper problem I was having and decided to go for broke and have one of my tooth extracted and put an implant in. As you are aware the process takes months so the initial step is they put some bone in the socket but also there is some kind of reinforcement compound which lies above the graft then they stitch up the gum. I've been having this nasty after taste coming from the it but the dentist assured me it was normal. It healed a little a day ago but because I've been using Gause to keep the nasty bio from leaking out and going in my digestive system the stitches seem to have come loose.

On to my dilemma. I googled around and it seems others who have had this procedure have also experience the foul smell or taste and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble. At this point I just want them to excavate what ever it is they put in my gums and live with the gap between my teeth. On one hand I don't really want to spend $3000 for an implant for a side of the mouth that I don't chew with. And insurance won't cover a damn penny for the procedure. If I'm honest I am freaked out about something going wrong. They didn't prepare me for this when they did it. I thought it would be pretty common to let your patient know your mouth is likely going to taste like ass and if I had known I wouldn't have done it.

Every time I drink water or eat I can taste it.. it's so nasty.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
I'm sure you know this, but you need to consult with a dentist/dental surgeon about this. Nobody here knows the details of your case.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6013 posts
672 upvotes
Greely
If it helps, I has the procedure done about 8 years ago. Extraction, graft, implant. It is a long process as you say, but in the end it's worth it. Try to stick it out.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16467 posts
1452 upvotes
Space for rent
The bone graft is healing and the odour is less frequent but it's still leaking from the extraction site from time to time. I think i need to soften my food but other than that I'm obviously keeping it as is.

My question for those knowledgeable ok no this is, if I leave the space and forego the implant will the bone graft simply take hold and act as a stump for a lack of better word? Also part of my guns is still protruding on the side, suggesting the whole tooth was not extracted entirely. I was expecting a more flush contour unless that is the born graft which j doubt because the gums are hard even subject to forceful persuasion and it doesn't honestly look any different from the way it was when the tooth was still there. I'd post a picture but don't want to gross anyone out.
Dec 29, 2012
470 posts
83 upvotes
Scarborough
Call the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario for advice. I did this to save money on multiple visits to my dentist and endodontist. I'm under pressure to have an implant since I got my back molar extracted and will call them next week for info. They also have a list of unethical dental care doctors on their site.

https://www.rcdso.org/en-ca
Oct 4, 2018
10 posts
3 upvotes
I paid about $3000 for the dental bone graft, and the 3D X-ray was almost $600. It was not successful, as the required space was 4-6mm, and the bone graft only produced 2mm height.
Nov 6, 2018
1 posts
I would love to know the answer to your question as I am extracting a molar tomorrow, considering doing the grafting since that’s the best time to do it, as I am uncertain if I want to do an implant although it’s seems to be the best option. I hope the grafting isn’t ridiculously expensive and will remain in place for a good duration if I proceed with it. Hoping yours has recovered well... I am not looking forward to the gross gauze phase at all. I forgot about that although I had another upper molar removed only 2 years ago.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1673 posts
261 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
just curious what are you guys doing that is contributing to getting your teeth extracted? do u guys play hockey or something and got the teeth nocked out?
Hi