• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 6:52 pm
Tags:
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: Call me crazy, but I suspect there is a reason it is that price
Dropped 1 k from last week. I was curious and then looked at the history. Figured you guys would find it interesting.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15688 posts
11077 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote: Dropped 1 k from last week. I was curious and then looked at the history. Figured you guys would find it interesting.
No, probably not.

Typically RFD buyers are smart buyers and would pass on this POS without a second thought.
Nov 13, 2008
392 posts
60 upvotes
Kitchener
Honestly, it's a $4k 13 year old car. If it looks good, is safetied and is given an ok by a mechanic, who cares about the history? It's not like the next guy to buy it for $1000 or the scrap yard is going to care. In the sub $5k class, I would say it's much more important for it to be reliable platform and to be in good current shape.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: No, probably not.

Typically RFD buyers are smart buyers and would pass on this POS without a second thought.
Hence why it's not in the "hot deals" section. Discussion people. Discussion. It's up for discussion.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
jheath wrote: Honestly, it's a $4k 13 year old car. If it looks good, is safetied and is given an ok by a mechanic, who cares about the history? It's not like the next guy to buy it for $1000 or the scrap yard is going to care. In the sub $5k class, I would say it's much more important for it to be reliable platform and to be in good current shape.
So a 12 k repair on a 10 year old car in 2014 might not be a bad thing? Possibly. So you would suggest a mechanic do a fine comb check to make sure it's ok.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15688 posts
11077 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote: Hence why it's not in the "hot deals" section. Discussion people. Discussion. It's up for discussion.
It is a 13 year old car. Why would it ever be in the hot deals section? Don't be silly.

Look, I am sorry no one else thinks this is a good buy, but that is reality. Take it or leave it, but don't expect a lot of discussion on this car. Positive or negative.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: It is a 13 year old car. Why would it ever be in the hot deals section? Don't be silly.

Look, I am sorry no one else thinks this is a good buy, but that is reality. Take it or leave it, but don't expect a lot of discussion on this car. Positive or negative.
Hot deals are where all the"smart buyers" are. We will discuss with or without you. It's my tread anyway.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15688 posts
11077 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote: Hot deals are where all the"smart buyers" are. We will discuss with or without you. It's my tread anyway.
Hey you said it. Smart buyers would not buy this POS.

By all means, discuss away.
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
365 upvotes
Airbag light is on and the car has got quite a history. I would pass.
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
lordnikon wrote: Airbag light is on and the car has got quite a history. I would pass.
Good catch. Doesn't the airbag light stay on when the key has one turn and door is open? I'm not sure.
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
365 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote: Good catch. Doesn't the airbag light stay on when the key has one turn and door is open? I'm not sure.
Diagnostic lights would be on when the car is in accessory mode but you could see the engine rpm (< 1k rpm) which means the ignition is ON. Airbag light should be off unless the picture was taken before the light turned off (I doubt it).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes
JohnS821 wrote: Good catch. Doesn't the airbag light stay on when the key has one turn and door is open? I'm not sure.

The airbag light is on because due to possibly defective passenger seat belt buckle switch. (** The seatbelt light is also on which gives you a good indication). Keep in mind that this vehicle has been beaten around and it is possible that SRS circuit may not be working as required.

http://resetservicelight.com/reset-srs- ... -acura-tl/
Last edited by eldiablo on Feb 11th, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1265 posts
653 upvotes
York Region
That car has been beaten up pretty badly. That TL Is a nice model, the price isn't bad, and lower mileage than most other cars of that year. Is this your first car or a beater?
If you really want it, take it to a mechanic to see if everything checks out. You will need to get the airbag sorted out and I believe the AT of that model was crap.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
You want to be on the lookout for these TL models.... Acura TL Type-S or the Acura TL SH-AWD with MT (rare!!!!)

Base model is nothing fancy and with all those red flags why would you buy that?

Be weary of the AT models, they are known to break
Jan 8, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
Note the registration date doesn’t increment by 1 year after the big accident. Owner at that time sold the car before it was repaired most likely. To a mechanic? I’m surprised it wasn’t written off or branded as salvage... I also wonder when that repair was done. Sitting on ice for 2-3 years may be part of the reason it’s “low” mileage.

It’s not even that cheap for a 13 year old TL.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2742 upvotes

Why is the VIN missing off Carproof?

Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
lordnikon wrote: Diagnostic lights would be on when the car is in accessory mode but you could see the engine rpm (< 1k rpm) which means the ignition is ON. Airbag light should be off unless the picture was taken before the light turned off (I doubt it).
Djb990 wrote: Note the registration date doesn’t increment by 1 year after the big accident. Owner at that time sold the car before it was repaired most likely. To a mechanic? I’m surprised it wasn’t written off or branded as salvage... I also wonder when that repair was done. Sitting on ice for 2-3 years may be part of the reason it’s “low” mileage.

It’s not even that cheap for a 13 year old TL.
Also the 12k repair was not an accident, it was vehicle damage. Most likely some valdalism or weather related? Guys im not not buying the car, just investigating cause there are so many redflags.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
^
do freedom of information requests for the accidents.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1868 posts
493 upvotes
TORONTO
Meh plenty of TL's on kijiji you could grab. Personally anything other 5k, as long as the title of the car is Clean and I see if the car is in good shape I'd buy it without caring too much.