Shopping Discussion

would you correct a cashier who "undercharged" you?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2009 9:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2019 upvotes
Nowhere
Bleys007 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 10:09 pm
If a cashier forgets or doesn't scan an item, how is the business going to know that employee X did it? If they're short money, that's trackable. If inventory numbers are off, they don't know who made the mistake, whether an item scanned incorrectly, if someone stole the item, or who is to blame.
If loss prevention or even a manager were watching, the cashier could lose their job. I worked with a guy that got fired for not scanning items. He was the last person you would have expected this from. But he was a very nice guy, and got talked into by another employee. Knowing both of them, I could see how he got talked into by the other guy who was rather pushy while the nice guy always wanted to please everyone.

Cashiers not ringing things in for friends is common. So even if it were inadvertent, it could still cost someone their job.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7220 posts
600 upvotes
...are we talking about someone who gives you incorrect change, or if the item scans in at a lower price than what you thought it was? If its incorrect change, I'll give it back. If it scans in lower, I'll confirm the price, but I'm not going to sit there and insist I pay more....I've had $40 shirts scan in at $25 before, and when I asked about it they said that's how it came up in the system. I paid the 25 and left. I see nothing wrong with that.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1370 posts
231 upvotes
Yes, I do point it out. The most frequent response I get is an astonished look from the cashier, a grateful smile, and "Wow, thanks for being honest." If the cashier is in a talkative mood the thing they say next is usually, "You know, most people wouldn't even point that out."

Not to brag, but I kind of like being noticed and called out for being honest and doing the right thing, something that apparently "most people" don't do.

That said, if I don't discover the mistake until I get home, it's usually not worth the trouble to go back and explain (yeah yeah, call me hypocritical :cheesygri ) One time I bought four barstools from IKEA and decided I only needed to keep 2. I returned the other two among a small pile of other things and when I got home and checked the receipts I realized they had actually credited me for all four barstools, a mistake that was about $60 in my favour. I didn't go back to correct them but I did make sure I spent that $60 on more IKEA stuff the next time I was in.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2713 posts
334 upvotes
Newmarket
99% of the time i don't even look at the register. i just pay what they ask.. i know it's dumb so most of the time i don't even know if i am being overcharged let alone undercharged.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1773 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
Happy13178 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 1:03 am
If it scans in lower, I'll confirm the price, but I'm not going to sit there and insist I pay more....I've had $40 shirts scan in at $25 before, and when I asked about it they said that's how it came up in the system. I paid the 25 and left. I see nothing wrong with that.
If it scans in as the lower price then it's probably on sale and they never updated the tags. This would happen all the time when I worked at Zellers, head office would change prices on items and they'd come up on sale without you knowing. There's no harm in that. That's the system's error.

User error I'll point out and fix, like if a cashier forgets to scan something.

I don't pay with cash almost ever so incorrect change isn't an issue for me. The one time it happened when I was at a driving range, the girl gave me $20 change for a $10 or something, so I gave her the extra money back.
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
24 upvotes
I've worked as a cashier at a number of different places. I have never, ever been responsible for being short in the till. I'm not sure it's even legal to dock pay for this.

The only exception was when I was a waitress. I carried my own till so had to pay the restaurant the final amount of cash transactions. If someone short changed me, I'd be paying for it. In practice, this never happened. If someone didn't pay, I'd inform management and they adjusted my till accordingly.

If someone gave me too much change, and I noticed it right away, I'd give it back without a second thought. If it came up cheaper, I wouldn't say anything. Also, if it's a multi pack and it scans as one (for example, 12 pack of water), I also wouldn't say anything.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3809 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
most of the time i calculate the gist of the cost of what i'm buying before even going to the checkout line. back when it was 15% tax i could get the cost in my head minus a few cents. 13% now is a little tougher but still gives me a very good idea of what i expect to pay.

if what shows up on the register is near what i estimated then i'm good. if it seems overly high then i always check the receipt. if i am clearly undercharged, no way would i bring it up with the cashier. sorry but more $ in my pocket is worth more than a random cashiers gratitude.
Oct 10, 2006
798 posts
1864 upvotes
Outside Poker Flat
I always point out the error no matter whose favour. It's rare that the mistake is in my favour, less than 10% of errors in my experience, and usually the wrong (extra) change from the cashier, but I'll always point it out.

For me it's just a matter of personal integrity to make myself feel better (especially the times when waiting at a courtesy desk to correct errors in their favour/SCOP.)

I have no illusions about this affecting my public reputation one way or another, to stores I'm just another faceless customer; some places I've been shopping at for years still ask me every time if I have an Air Miles card.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
359 upvotes
Etobicoke
If I notice it while I'm still at the store, or even still in the car before leaving, yes. If I don't notice it till I get home, I likely wouldn't go all the way back to correct them. In the latter, I also wouldn't go back from home if I found out they overcharged me (and that's happened more than the other) unless it was a very large amount, but if that were the case I'd probably notice that just by the total.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
89 upvotes
Hamilton
Cheap Cat wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 11:58 pm
Whether the cashier was rude or not, I would point out the error probably more out of habit than anything else. However if the cashier was really rude and not listening, I wouldn't push the matter if it worked in my favour.

I was buying two curtain panels at Canadian Tire and they scanned wrong. I invoked SCOP. The cashier didn't have a clue about SCOP. So I pointed out the sign at her register and explained to her that I was entitled to $10 off the first item. It took over twenty minutes for her to confirm the price and then ring them in. She kept coming up with excuses and was rude about it. I explained SCOP over and over to her, her supervisor etc. each time saying I was only entitled to $10 off the first item. She rang both items in for $10 off. I told her again that it was $10 off the first one only but she ignored me so I let it go. I could only tell her so many times and I figured the extra $10 made up for my wasted time and frustration plus there was a long lineup waiting.
It amazes me that cashiers can be so UNDER-trained....totally un-acceptable!

:mad:
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I have had to drive back through a drive through because I did not pay attention to how much change I was being given. I had bought 2 drinks and paid with a $10 bill and then handed the change and drinks to the passenger so I could to sort out later. As I pulled out the passenger gave me a $10 bill and some change along with my drink. The cashier had given me the change for a $20 dollar bill. I drove back around and gave them the $10 back because it was and is the right thing to do.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
I rarely pay cash, and even when I do I rarely pay attention to the amount unless it is gunna cost me more than I expected.

At work, it used to be ridiculous. They hated dealing with pennies, and a coffee was $1.28, so with one cashier, sometimes I'd give $1.30 and sometimes I'd give $1.25, depending if I had that extra nickel or not. It worked out to the same in the end. One day, the supervisor decided "We only round up." so every time after that, I gave him exact change with pennies, which he hated, but couldn't say anything.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4347 posts
1632 upvotes
i had a situation where my bill at a bar was 25$
it should have been 30$ as i was only charged for 1 beer as opposed to 2

I left 35$ and walked out, because that is what i would have left if the bill was correct
I left it up to the waitress to decide whether or not to pocket the extra $5, or update the bill accordingly

that being said, if this were a retail or general store, i probably wouldnt have corrected them
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2008
1231 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I almost got away with a free box of Maynard's halloween candy once because the cashier didn't ring it in properly and passed it to me. Took a while to get it corrected but I did pay for it in the end. She look pretty pissed that I pointed it out though, because she was a noob and ended up ringing the box up like 4 times and had to get the manager over to "fix" it which took ten minutes. I never saw her again lol.

I always correct them whether or not it's in my favour if I notice it, it's half out of habit and half honesty.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2008
4367 posts
371 upvotes
yes ill point out the mistake; recently it meant no free pizza for me! On a more serious note, i know how it feels on the other end as i once forgot to charge a customer for a laptop, long story short i never took the customers cc. Had he not come back :o ...