Shopping Discussion

would you correct a cashier who "undercharged" you?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2009 9:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 5:00 pm
i had a situation where my bill at a bar was 25$
it should have been 30$ as i was only charged for 1 beer as opposed to 2

I left 35$ and walked out, because that is what i would have left if the bill was correct
I left it up to the waitress to decide whether or not to pocket the extra $5, or update the bill accordingly
Most likely, the waitress did not notice that the bill was wrong, and then innocently pocketed it as tip. The bartender's counts would be off at the end of the night and their pay would be docked for the 1 beer.

The bartender probably shot him or herself in the foot. This is why the smart bartender does not let the waitress have the drinks until they're properly rung into the system.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1730 posts
164 upvotes
I pay attention when they scan, only use CC (for Aeropoints) so it is unlikely to happen. But if it does happen, I won't go back because I am too lazy. If I notice right away, I would tell them to fix it.
Jun 8, 2008
506 posts
8 upvotes
everyone's saying yes here... but i would say no. to be honest i usually don't even notice until after i pay and i'm looking at the receipt when i'm bored. if they over charged me i'm going to go back to the till and ask for my money back, but if they undercharged me i'm not going to take the initiative to go back..
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4347 posts
1633 upvotes
ceecee101 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 7:29 pm
everyone's saying yes here... but i would say no. to be honest i usually don't even notice until after i pay and i'm looking at the receipt when i'm bored. if they over charged me i'm going to go back to the till and ask for my money back, but if they undercharged me i'm not going to take the initiative to go back..
being that this is RFD i am surprised aswell
i bet it would be a different story if it were rogers undercharging them on their bill
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2020 upvotes
Nowhere
When I was a kid my mother always shopped at the same grocery store every week at the same time. When she got home, she would check off her groceries before she put them away. Especially in the days before scanners, she would always find a lot of price errors. If they undercharged her, she would always go right back and pay the difference. But she wouldn't go back if she was overcharged because it wasn't worth the gas. Sometimes when she would go in the next week with her receipt saying she was overcharged, they would actually challenge her on it, particularly one cashier who claimed she never made mistakes. This was a small store and everyone knew my mother by name so it is unbelievable that anyone would give her a hard time when she willingly went back almost every week and paid them when they undercharged her. Sometimes honesty doesn't pay.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2004
1207 posts
109 upvotes
Burlington
Yes, I would and have.

Recently, I bought 32 bottles of wine at the LCBO. There were 16 Red, and 16 White. The cashier scanned one of each and manually typed in the quantity. Instead of 16 for the White - she only pressed 1. She provided a total, and instinctively I handed my credit card and left. After loading the wine into the car I reviewed the receipt and noticed the error and I went back in to pay for the rest. She actually didn't seem all that grateful, but at least I could move on knowing I did the right thing.
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
64 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 12:13 am
If loss prevention or even a manager were watching, the cashier could lose their job. I worked with a guy that got fired for not scanning items. He was the last person you would have expected this from. But he was a very nice guy, and got talked into by another employee. Knowing both of them, I could see how he got talked into by the other guy who was rather pushy while the nice guy always wanted to please everyone.

Cashiers not ringing things in for friends is common. So even if it were inadvertent, it could still cost someone their job.
Out of curiousity, did this happen in a department store in downtown Toronto?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1774 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
zzz3 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 6:58 pm
yes ill point out the mistake; recently it meant no free pizza for me! On a more serious note, i know how it feels on the other end as i once forgot to charge a customer for a laptop, long story short i never took the customers cc. Had he not come back :o ...
I remember once a fellow CSR was using demo equipment to show a customer how a lens would fit in a bag, he left it in the bag and sold it to the customer by mistake. The customer returned it when he got home and realized his bag had a lens in it.

I accidentally gave away a set of my own rechargeable batteries when I was demo-ing a camera, that customer never came back with them :mad:
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1370 posts
231 upvotes
Red_Army wrote:
Nov 10th, 2009 5:00 pm
i had a situation where my bill at a bar was 25$
it should have been 30$ as i was only charged for 1 beer as opposed to 2

I left 35$ and walked out, because that is what i would have left if the bill was correct
I left it up to the waitress to decide whether or not to pocket the extra $5, or update the bill accordingly
Usually I say "Excuse me, I think you forgot to charge me for the drink". And usually the waiter/waittress says "I did? Oh, well, don't worry about it then" and I enjoy a free drink in good conscience.

There was one time I was out for lunch with a bunch of friends and the waittress screwed up the billing between my order and my brother's. Something I ordered was put on his bill (or vice versa). I pointed it out to the waittress, adding "... but don't worry, I don't really care because he's my brother so we can work it out between us". Her response was, "Well, I don't care either, just as long as I get the money." She did not get a very good tip that day. :mad:
Jun 8, 2007
967 posts
229 upvotes
Mississauga
I'll be honest here, too. I've done both.

I've corrected a cashier at Wal-Mart who was going to ring in a coupon making a $3 chocolate bar free when it was only $1.50 off.

I've also had a cashier at No Frills mis-swipe a bag of chips, and said nothing. That being said, the main reason I said nothing was I had another cashier defraud me out of a box of cereal that should have been free with SCOP, and that evened it out.

Backstory on the cereal fraud (lol): I bought a $2 box of cereal that scanned for $3. She came back and said the $2 price was actually for a larger box that was on sale, and the smaller box was in fact $3. She then gave me the larger box and refunded $1 - basically returning the small $3 box and selling me the large $2 box. I figured something was fishy, but had my gf with me at the time, and she just wanted to get out of there, so I didn't look into it. Next day I went back (by myself), and found that she had obviously lied about the larger box being the cheaper one - it was ~$5 or so and clearly labeled.

So ya... I've done both. I also sense incoming flames with this cereal story.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2625 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
It depends really on what the item is that im purchasing and also my mood. If I feel like **** that day then I'll probably keep my mouth shut and hope the cashier doesn't pick up the mistake. Actually, since im cash strapped I might even do it on a good day, lol im just being honest. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3861 posts
171 upvotes
Personally I'll sometimes correct them, but the way I see it is that they make such a hassle when you try to get them to charge you the right price when they overcharge you, why should I make a hassle when they undercharge me.

BTW, they can't make a cashier pay if money is missing, they can take corrective action, but paying money back is a no no.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2126 posts
108 upvotes
Regina
For me it depends on the store. If it's a business that has been fair to me in the past and I enjoy shopping at I tell them. I'd like them to stay around as long as possible. If it's say a store that has caused me grief in the past or has caused me to lose money I count the undercharged as a balance towards what I feel they already owe. Once they have paid back that amount I will start telling them moving forward.
Deal Expert
Nov 27, 2006
16124 posts
359 upvotes
Etobicoke
gsrce wrote:
Nov 12th, 2009 8:27 am
Personally I'll sometimes correct them, but the way I see it is that they make such a hassle when you try to get them to charge you the right price when they overcharge you, why should I make a hassle when they undercharge me.

BTW, they can't make a cashier pay if money is missing, they can take corrective action, but paying money back is a no no.
I totally understand that sentiment and have been tempted to do the same, but I also feel that they're doing wrong doesn't make me want to do wrong. I'll always take the highroad, even if they don't deserve it, just so I can know I'm doing the right thing anyway. Now that said, I'm no saint..lol..as I mentioned earlier, it depends more on convenience. If I'm already at home when I notice it, no I don't go back. I also don't go back if I'm home and realize they overcharged me...unless it's a large amount but I'd probably notice a large error either way while I'm still at the store.

Bottom line is I don't want karma biting me in the ass over something worth a few bucks...lol.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2020 upvotes
Nowhere
HoleyMoley wrote:
Nov 11th, 2009 1:44 pm
Out of curiousity, did this happen in a department store in downtown Toronto?
No, but if you know of a similar case, it wouldn't surprise me because as I said, it is common. Usually it is the younger employees who get talked into this by their friends. This guy was older.