Shopping Discussion

would you correct a cashier who "undercharged" you?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2009 9:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2020 upvotes
Nowhere
gsrce wrote:
Nov 12th, 2009 8:27 am
BTW, they can't make a cashier pay if money is missing, they can take corrective action, but paying money back is a no no.
Unfortunately, they can make a cashier pay in Ontario if you have sole control over the register. They can't make you pay if you share a cash tray with other employees.

I worked in one store where each cashier had their own tray and no one else ever used it. If you went on a break, you signed out and took your tray and another cashier signed in with their tray to replace you. At that store, we were not held responsible for loses. I worked in another where we were held responsible and managers would frequently jump on your register when you went on break using your cash tray. As soon as they would do this, I would tell them that I was no longer responsible for any shortages and they would look at me shocked. The store where we were not responsible had better cash handling training and training against scams and better cash handling procedures than the store where cashiers were responsible for shortages.
Oct 23, 2009
279 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I think that the question being asked on this website is rather ironic since we are all here looking for a deal.

My response will likely go both way.

1) I bought a drill at Crappy Tire for a friend (using their cash) to help them with a small reno job and a few other bits and bob’s, but when the cashier gave me my total is was just over $40.00. I told her that I think she forgot to ring in my drill, and after checking she realized her mistake. She charged me the full price and off I went. When I finished helping my friend, he gave me the drill saying that he would never use it again. So in the end the drill was still free.
2) Future Shop just a few weeks ago had an error on their web page for am Samsung 46” LCD TV that is regularly $2599.99 on sale for $1999.99, but they somehow managed to apply the $600.00 discount twice making the TV $1399.99. Well I was all over that deal like a fat guy on a plate of chicken wings.

So in the end was I really so honest?

I think the real difference is being able to put a face to the mistake.

If we were to all look more closely at ourselves I think that most of us would agree that if it’s a faceless act then we would take the deal and run, but otherwise not so likely.

The only real exception that I would have to the error with a person being directly involved, would be if they made me stand in that stupidly long line up at the customer service desk to give them back money on their error. Again if I were to be honest I think I would just take the money and run. Fix it there and send me on my way, or suck it up.

Now time to get back to RFD’s and see if I can find another “steal” of a deal. LOL.......
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1370 posts
231 upvotes
Red Smart wrote:
Nov 12th, 2009 1:59 pm
I think that the question being asked on this website is rather ironic since we are all here looking for a deal.I think the real difference is being able to put a face to the mistake.
Well, we're all here looking for deals, but legitimate ones. I mean, otherwise, the ultimate "deal" is to find a friend who will "forget" to scan in your items. Can't get a better deal than free...

A cashier or manager making a mistake and owning up to it and saying "don't worry about it" (assuming they have the right to make that call) -- bonus.

Taking advantage of a mistake the cashier made -- by this I mean being aware of the problem but intentionally saying nothing -- is not ethically right. Sometimes we rationalize it with "well, they deserve it" or "well, *I* deserve it" but that doesn't change what it is.

I grant that the line gets fuzzy if, as you say, it involves extra effort for me to go back to the store or wait in line so I can correct their mistake. Often I won't bother, but I do so knowing that technically I've taken advantage -- read "stolen from" -- the company.

The line also gets fuzzy with price errors, like the aforementioned Future Shop TV, or website pricing errors. In this case it's not the cashier making a mistake, so you're right, we often will take the deal. I don't think any law has been broken here though -- the company advertises a price, we offer to buy it at that price, they accept the money, the transaction is complete.

To summarize, suppose I'm buying a cordless drill which is tagged on the shelf at $150.

- If I notice the cashier types in $15.00 by accident, I will call them on it, because not doing so would be dishonest. If he/she were to say "Oh, well, today's your lucky day" then they are accepting responsibility for the price and I'd take it.
- If I notice after I get home that I was only charged $15.00, I would probably go back (although this is stretching the case because I really shouldn't be so oblivious that I paid $15 instead of $150). That's a big error. Now if it was scanned at $140 by accident, well, I might not bother.
- If I see the register rings it up as $15.00 -- and the UPC, description, etc. are not obviously wrong -- I'll probably ask "Wow, is that price correct?" and the cashier will probably say "yes" and then I'll buy it in good conscience. Heck, I'll probably go back in and buy another one. ;)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
337 upvotes
Ancaster
I've been over-changed and returned the difference.

I've also been under-charged and made the cashier aware of it. Sometimes, after the re-tally, it ends up there was an additional discount that I didn't know about and that they had applied it without me asking.

The way I see it -- I'm an honorable member of this society. I am not wealthy (heck I'm still a student), but I'm not impoverished. Hence, I don't see the need to cheat/be dishonest about my expenses.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2651 posts
670 upvotes
y2jversion1 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2009 9:05 pm
yes, for the reasons above
+1... especially for reasons A and C (reason B is a form of A)
na na na na na na na na na NA.