Careers

Locked: would you ever resign from a job ever?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 10:54 am
Tags:
Temp. Banned
Nov 23, 2016
127 posts
34 upvotes

would you ever resign from a job ever?

if you really hated your job, the job was super stressful, boss was incompetent and yelling at you all the time, you developed serious health issues and depression from your job, would that be enough for you to quit your job? or would you stick it out?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6145 posts
886 upvotes
Greely
I'd resign for any single one of those reasons.

I resigned from a 19 year career at one of the banks in October last year.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Best to look aggressively as you can for another job. Just quitting without even trying for another is not a good idea IMO.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
steve-0101 wrote: I'd resign for any single one of those reasons.
+1

Did it last year August. Took a good break afterwards and spent 1-2 months looking before finding my next role.

To keep it short, it's not worth it compromising your health for a job that will only keep draining you more and more as you work through it. If you opt to quit, make sure you have a plan for the months following unemployment.

Safer route is to look for a new job while working.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Yet another meaningless "mypepsi" thread...
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
Would only resign if I had another job lined up. Why wold I quit to be unemployed?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
CNeufeld wrote: Yet another meaningless "mypepsi" thread...
cant agree with this more
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I think the better question wouldn't be whether you'd resign from a job (I think most people would if given enough negativity), but how long you'd wait until you did so. I know most people think "job skipping" is bad (or badly viewed by potential employers) so say 6 months into your job you realized you really didn't like it for one of the OP's reasons, would you start looking for a new job, or would you tough it out 1-2 years to not look like a "jumper"?
Last edited by uber_shnitz on Mar 20th, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
abc123yyz wrote: Would only resign if I had another job lined up. Why wold I quit to be unemployed?
This.

Unless you are not relying your income to pay bills or you have enough savings and can pay your bills for at least another year.
Otherwise, most people will resign (for whatever reason) ONLY when they find another job elsewhere.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Sep 11, 2012
89 posts
24 upvotes
ON
nikels21 wrote: cant agree with this more
Bingo
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto

Although there's not much content in threads like this, it does raise good points that I am sure can relate to other RFDers that are in similar situations. Asking is better than not, most of the time imo.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
A lousy job is better than no job
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Never ever would I ever ever quit a job ever. Never ever.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
If I win the lottery....Yeah!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
abc123yyz wrote: Would only resign if I had another job lined up. Why wold I quit to be unemployed?
windforcexx28 wrote: Although there's not much content in threads like this, it does raise good points that I am sure can relate to other RFDers that are in similar situations. Asking is better than not, most of the time imo.

Agree with windforce - for people suffering emotional or mental health issues that a) will never allow them to work and have mental peace in the company they worked for or b) aren't substantiated by whatever the STD/LTD plan is - for them and their families it MAY be better to take the break than the paycheck. They may be beating their family or contemplating suicide and they are MUCH better off with the break and the social net than the risk that may come with collecting a paycheck.

I find it really disheartening the short sightedness and lack of long term understanding regarding career/mental health by some of these comments.
Nov 24, 2015
559 posts
182 upvotes
i wonder what he's going to try to sell in the classifieds when he brings up his post counts.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
OP - This sounds very toxic, do yourself (and your family a favour) and leave immediately. I'm hoping to come back tomorrow and read this thread where you left.