Automotive

Would you go for Q5, X3, GLK350 or RDX, and why?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2013 5:12 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 21, 2008
156 posts
25 upvotes
I just traded my A4 Avant in for a Q5. The Q5 drives like an SUV but it is a great vehicle. This category also has more useful space than the A4.

If you also have a GTI, then definitely consider a Q5/X3. I prefer the styling of the Q5 over the X3 but the X3 definitely drives better than the Q5.
Mar 30, 2007
469 posts
29 upvotes
johanness wrote: I just bought a new loaded BMW X1 28i, and we reviewed every SUV option listed here. Couldn't be happier. Great build quality, actually made in Germany, and the N20/26 is an awesome motor. Better 0-60 times than most of the competition, and a simple JB Stage 1 tune brings it up to 290hp. This thing flies and has really good road feel (which is notably absent in pretty much every choice mentioned). Oh, and a TRUE AWD system (not Front biased like so many other ones listed as "true" 4WD/AWD).

My $0.02
what... xdrive is crap
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1435 posts
127 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
oksir wrote: what... xdrive is crap
On what basis do you say that? I'm not necessarily defending xdrive, but I've not seen an objective article on the performance differences (not theoretical differences) between the manufacturer's AWD systems.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
flyinggonzo wrote: On what basis do you say that? I'm not necessarily defending xdrive, but I've not seen an objective article on the performance differences (not theoretical differences) between the manufacturer's AWD systems.
Depends who you compare it to. Xdrive is crap compare to some AWD systems. It is ok for some.

Audi used to be the golden standard before everyone decided to make different types of system, including Audi themselves. The best systems should be on Rally cars, which Audi and Subaru and Mitsubishi is king.
Nov 26, 2011
152 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Do your homework.

For instance, Audi's Quattro system has a torsen center differential. The weakness of the TorSen differential is the inability to lock fully when no traction is sensed on one of the axles.

BMW's current model all wheel drive system is superior to most makes hands down
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
That's harsh. Here is the simple fact. Every maker says their all wheel drive is the best, and every one else is crap. If they are mechanical, they say electronic is crap, if they are electronic, they say mechanical is crap. If they are FWd biased, they say they are better. If they are RWD biased, they say they are better. Haldex says they are better than Torsen, and vice versa. It's all marketing BS.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
johanness wrote: I just bought a new loaded BMW X1 28i, and we reviewed every SUV option listed here. Couldn't be happier. Great build quality, actually made in Germany, and the N20/26 is an awesome motor. Better 0-60 times than most of the competition, and a simple JB Stage 1 tune brings it up to 290hp. This thing flies and has really good road feel (which is notably absent in pretty much every choice mentioned). Oh, and a TRUE AWD system (not Front biased like so many other ones listed as "true" 4WD/AWD).

My $0.02
Too bad it's basically a 2 seater
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Tiguan Highline 4MOTION + APR/Unitronic

Or GLK250 Bluetec when it hits our shores.
Nov 26, 2011
152 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
MS MSP wrote: Too bad it's basically a 2 seater
Lol wut? I assume you've never sat in one. Not for a family of 5, but certainly fits most people's small family needs. i think it's 56 cu ft of cargo storage
Dec 8, 2009
107 posts
8 upvotes
SuperVeloce wrote: I would say RDX in that price range will get you the most goodies. Theres only 2 packages in the RDX either Base or Tech pkg which is basically fully loaded. Which in the german competitors you would have to pay another 5-10k worth of options to get to that same car.
Agreed, I like the fact that 44k is fully loaded. We are also interested in knowing its built quality and durability vs the German brands, which is one of the reasons we are not plan on keeping the rav4.
Strider wrote: Hate to say it, but with that budget you're pretty much stuck with the RDX, which isn't really even on the same league as the others. Maybe cross shop vs a new Rav4, CRV, or maybe even the new Ford Escape? Maybe a Highlander if you're looking for bigger.

Save the base model, no option Audis and BMWs for the wannabes and brand whores. Why spend $45k on an SUV with only 240hp and no leather seats? It took about $60k to get an X3 that feels like a proper BMW.

Have you considered buying CPO instead of leasing new? CPO GLKs always seem cheap compared to the Q5 and X3.

Also, since you're leasing, you should consider interest rates which are almost always higher on the German brands.
Not interested in the rav4 level vehicles. Highlander is within budget and a bit larger which is good, but not exactly keen on their built quality no more. ~$45k for q5 or x3 is actually quite reasonably equipped to some extent, with really the exception on the nav system comparing to the rdx.
ncc.1701 wrote: Spent two weeks 2 years ago x3 / q5/ glk / xc60/ ex35 were enlisted.
EX35 was the winner by driving and overall build, but the smallest one and has fuel consumption issues for the size.
Decision was made for Q5.
Low quality, some issues cost 4K to Audi Canada as warranty repairs.
Hollywood need to prepare to shoot the horror sequel "The Warranty is Over".
Today would go with Rx350, or wait for new MDX , if 7-seater is desired.
Loved the q5 during my test drive last year. Seems to be solid car all around, what was the issue if you don't mind me asking?
regression wrote: A4 Allroad gets my vote. Sedan handling and a good amount of useable storage in the boot.

You could also look at Volvo, the XC60 3.2 FWD starts at 40k.
I believe that's a station wagon? Not particularly interested in that style atm.
cambridge99 wrote: I just traded my A4 Avant in for a Q5. The Q5 drives like an SUV but it is a great vehicle. This category also has more useful space than the A4.

If you also have a GTI, then definitely consider a Q5/X3. I prefer the styling of the Q5 over the X3 but the X3 definitely drives better than the Q5.
In terms of pricing, I would rank them as X3>Q5>RDX (with the packages we have in mind)...overall preference atm proabably rdx>Q5>x3 (on paper)
KevC wrote: Tiguan Highline 4MOTION + APR/Unitronic

Or GLK250 Bluetec when it hits our shores.
Not planning to have 2 chipped VW's at home atm. Would the Tiguan share similar price point with Q5 then should you opt for the awd trim?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
sumoxo wrote: Not planning to have 2 chipped VW's at home atm. Would the Tiguan share similar price point with Q5 then should you opt for the awd trim?
Unsure on pricing. I figured the Tig would be more affordable/provide more value (vs the Q5) but that's not always the case.

Missed the bit where you drive the GTI, very nice. What year and software? The Tiguan is simply a GTI on slits, so I can understand the desire for something different.
Dec 8, 2009
107 posts
8 upvotes
KevC wrote: Unsure on pricing. I figured the Tig would be more affordable/provide more value (vs the Q5) but that's not always the case.

Missed the bit where you drive the GTI, very nice. What year and software? The Tiguan is simply a GTI on slits, so I can understand the desire for something different.
It's a '11 gti with apr stage 1 and cai, very nice solid run. Knowing the performance and ride won't come close to the gti with our budget for an suv, but we want something a bit better than the rav4 now. Huge diff in terms of built quality like road noise, rattling sounds, the way the interior put together etc.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
sumoxo wrote: It's a '11 gti with apr stage 1 and cai, very nice solid run. Knowing the performance and ride won't come close to the gti with our budget for an suv, but we want something a bit better than the rav4 now. Huge diff in terms of built quality like road noise, rattling sounds, the way the interior put together etc.
Very nice. I'm looking at a 10+ 5dr DSG preferably in black with leather; the search continues LOL. It's just the TSI motor offers so much performance at a reasonable price point; thought if you like the GTI you'd like the Tig. =)
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Doesn't it have 4 doors though?
yes, but with the drivers seat setup for a average sized person, there is virtually no leg room for rear seat passengers.

Better yet, try fitting a rear facing baby seat in the back of an X1 and have someone sit in the front seat... tell me how much legroom they have.
johanness wrote: Lol wut? I assume you've never sat in one. Not for a family of 5, but certainly fits most people's small family needs. i think it's 56 cu ft of cargo storage
Rear seat legroom and space for a baby seat is non-existent

I would guess the X1 is even tighter than the Infiniti EX35...similar to the Tiguan

Don't get me wrong, i like all 3 of these vehicles...would be a great cottage weekend car for 2 people.
Nov 26, 2011
152 posts
39 upvotes
VANCOUVER
MS MSP wrote:

I would guess the X1 is even tighter than the Infiniti EX35...similar to the Tiguan
I'm 6'4" and have had no issues with our carseat, or fitting my wife and an extra passenger. It's not a guess.

Regardless, OP should see for himself.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1532 upvotes
Toronto
sumoxo wrote: I believe that's a station wagon? Not particularly interested in that style atm.
You're thinking of the XC70, which is a tallish station wagon.

The XC60 competes directly against the vehicles you have listed. Google it.

Another option is the Cadillac SRX.
Dec 8, 2009
107 posts
8 upvotes
KevC wrote: Very nice. I'm looking at a 10+ 5dr DSG preferably in black with leather; the search continues LOL. It's just the TSI motor offers so much performance at a reasonable price point; thought if you like the GTI you'd like the Tig. =)
I got the 5dr cw dsg, best decision ever (vs mt or in general) in terms of performance, fuel economy and convenience especially in our GTA traffic. Stage 1 will be more than enough for most gti drivers (im one of them), unless you need to take on cars with 300+ hp, but then the deficiency of fwd really kicks in. However if you need more punch check this out instead of going stage 1 through 3, http://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_tra ... i_k04.html
johanness wrote: I'm 6'4" and have had no issues with our carseat, or fitting my wife and an extra passenger. It's not a guess.

Regardless, OP should see for himself.
I had both driven and sat in an x1, space-wise is of course smaller compare to x3 but still acceptable. The one I tried was the 28i version it was slow as hell for some reason...we sat in the new x3 in the showroom the size is perfect just wondering hows the x3 drive compare to the x1 for the same 28i engine
Little Tim wrote: You're thinking of the XC70, which is a tallish station wagon.

The XC60 competes directly against the vehicles you have listed. Google it.

Another option is the Cadillac SRX.
Ahh ic...yea xc60 awd starts at 47k which might be a bit over our budget even before adding in options...the basic SRX also starts just below 47k
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
sumoxo wrote:
I had both driven and sat in an x1, space-wise is of course smaller compare to x3 but still acceptable. The one I tried was the 28i version it was slow as hell for some reason...we sat in the new x3 in the showroom the size is perfect just wondering hows the x3 drive compare to the x1 for the same 28i engine
The X3 is significantly heavier, hence it will be slower
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
Q5
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)