Food & Drink

Would you go vegan or still be a meat-eater?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 8:09 am
Tags:

Poll: If ALL 'obstacles' were removed, would you go vegan or still be a meat-eater?

• Total votes: 76. You have voted on this poll.
Vegan

21%
Meat-eater

54%
Some combination

25%
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11958 posts
2834 upvotes
Montréal

Would you go vegan or still be a meat-eater?

A recent thread made me think of this topic. I personally would ideally like to be vegan or vegetarian but have too many obstacles, for example:
.perhaps less tasty
.less variety of choices, e.g. restaurants only have few vegan choices
.less availability, i.e. just not as pervasive as meat
.usually more costly
.maybe less nutritious unless put more planning?

Probably a lot more reasons that I can't think of ATM. Anyway, some ppl feel it's their 'god-given' right to hunt and kill and eat animals but we all turn a blind eye to what humans do to them out of cost-savings and sometimes plain cruelty. If I could help to reduce that a little, why not?

Anyway, my poll is asking *if* all those obstacles were gone and it's basically a level playing field for meat vs vegan choices, would you change and why or why not? This goes to your mentality of this topic obviously. I personally would change in a heartbeat.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Nov 22nd, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
132 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7097 posts
3373 upvotes
Toronto
Vegan is too much for me and I couldn't do that but I've been eating around %75 vegetarian for the past few years now and it's been great. Good vegetarian meals are very tasty, I feel much healthier now and feel like I enjoy and appreciate meat dishes more on the occasions I have them. That said I couldn't go full vegetarian because I enjoy good quality meat as much as anyone but cutting down and avoiding low quality meat entirely in favor of more vegetarian meals has been a big positive for me.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5773 posts
846 upvotes
I was vegan for about 12 years and then continued as a vegetarian for another 8 or so years before I decided I wanted to eat meat again. Would I exclude all animals products again? No. Any regrets? Nope. IMO, it’s not really that big of a deal and I’m not really sure why people care so much about how others eat.

As for the ‘obstacles’, they really weren’t that big of a deal tbh. And I think it’s even easier to a follow vegan/vegetarian diet today. In the mid 90s it wasn’t as easy or as cheap to buy niche veg products as it is today.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11958 posts
2834 upvotes
Montréal
amz155 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 7:40 pm
I was vegan for about 12 years and then continued as a vegetarian for another 8 or so years before I decided I wanted to eat meat again. Would I exclude all animals products again? No. Any regrets? Nope. IMO, it’s not really that big of a deal and I’m not really sure why people care so much about how others eat.

As for the ‘obstacles’, they really weren’t that big of a deal tbh. And I think it’s even easier to a follow vegan/vegetarian diet today. In the mid 90s it wasn’t as easy or as cheap to buy niche veg products as it is today.
That's really interesting you went from vegan to meat-eater, what was the reason?

I'm more curious, but if one can add less to animal suffering and it doesn't hurt you in any way (ofc assuming my premise that the 'obstacles' are no longer there), why not?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5773 posts
846 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 8:00 pm
That's really interesting you went from vegan to meat-eater, what was the reason?

I'm more curious, but if one can add less to animal suffering and it doesn't hurt you in any way (ofc assuming my premise that the 'obstacles' are no longer there), why not?
First I started eating cheese again bc that’s what I missed the most. Then eggs and other dairy. Then I started wondering more and more what certain dishes tasted like. I started to resent travelling and not being able to eat certain dishes that were popular in that country. Then a few years ago I went to Vietnam and wanted to eat many of the popular dishes, so I did ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My first meat dish after all those years was bun bo nam bo (sp?) and hoooooboy was it ever tasty.

For me, there aren’t really many obstacles. It’s just a matter of choice. I can very easily say that veg and non-dairy substitutes do NOT taste the same as the real thing. I also grew pretty tired of eating exclusively plant based sources of protein. I still do eat vegetarian or vegan meals/dishes, because I still find them tasty and I like variety. My diet is still largely plant based but I like the freedom of eating whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I go.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2232 posts
1159 upvotes
I don't get how you can have a "both" option (how's that even possible?) but there's no vegetarian option? Sorry but not a very well-thought poll lol. I would choose that - I don't see the point in veganism. But I also wouldn't consume processed "vegetarian" foods like soy-based burgers .I would just stick whole and home foods. I'm not prepared to do it at the moment, but I am definitely considering it but the issue is that I actually feel much better on a low carb/keto diet even though I prefer vegetarian options as i'm not a big fan of meat.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11958 posts
2834 upvotes
Montréal
hierophant wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 8:20 pm
I don't get how you can have a "both" option (how's that even possible?) but there's no vegetarian option? Sorry but not a very well-thought poll lol. I would choose that - I don't see the point in veganism. But I also wouldn't consume processed "vegetarian" foods like soy-based burgers .I would just stick whole and home foods. I'm not prepared to do it at the moment, but I am definitely considering it but the issue is that I actually feel much better on a low carb/keto diet even though I prefer vegetarian options as i'm not a big fan of meat.
Argh, you're right, knew I missed out something, or maybe just needed to word it differently. Revised poll now, 'Both' and 'Vegetarian' were meant to be the same broadly-speaking.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
Absolutely, I can be a vegan. That's on the promise, of course, that ALL obstacles are overcome. Meaning that we can grow artificial protein in the lab that's indistinguishable from the real thing. And if they can engineer the negative effects of animal meat out of the lab grown one, all the better. But if becoming a vegan means that I have to alter my natural culinary tastes, then obstacles ARE present and that would be a no-go. If I don't have to kill an animal while enjoying a medium-rare striploin steak, sure, sign me on.

BTW, was it my Vegan vs BK thread in OT that prompted this?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11958 posts
2834 upvotes
Montréal
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 8:35 pm
Absolutely, I can be a vegan. That's on the promise, of course, that ALL obstacles are overcome. Meaning that we can grow artificial protein in the lab that's indistinguishable from the real thing. And if they can engineer the negative effects of animal meat out of the lab grown one, all the better. But if becoming a vegan means that I half to alter my natural culinary tastes, then obstacles ARE present and that would be a no-go. If I don't have to kill an animal while enjoying a medium-rare striploin steak, sure, sign me on.
BTW, was it my Vegan vs BK thread in OT that prompted this?
Ya, it was your BK thread that somehow got me thinking.

Personally, I don't see why there's a debate IF and ofc that's a BIG hypothetical IF, all the obstacles are gone, i.e. meat and non-meat tastes same/same nutrients/costs same/same availability/etc, why do we need to kill animals?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
2232 posts
1159 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 8:33 pm
Argh, you're right, knew I missed out something, or maybe just needed to word it differently. Revised poll now, 'Both' and 'Vegetarian' were meant to be the same broadly-speaking.
Hmmm no I think you still do not get it. You CANNOT be both a meat eater and a vegan or vegetarian it is not possible, makes absolutely no sense. "Other" category is useless- tells you nothing . Better options are: regular meat eater, infrequent meat eater, seafood only and vegan/vegetarian. Honestly :facepalm:

I also to clarify my response above, the meat I do eat is locally and ethically sourced from a nearby farmer. I do not eat chicken for many reasons. I mainly consume beef and bacon. While yes, cows do produce methane, their contribution to GHG emissions pales in comparison to the GHG from transportation and industry (not that I'm using that as an excuse to it - I just feel better health wise).
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11958 posts
2834 upvotes
Montréal
hierophant wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 8:50 pm
Hmmm no I think you still do not get it. You CANNOT be both a meat eater and a vegan or vegetarian it is not possible, makes absolutely no sense. "Other" category is useless- tells you nothing . Better options are: regular meat eater, infrequent meat eater, seafood only and vegan/vegetarian. Honestly :facepalm:

I also to clarify my response above, the meat I do eat is locally and ethically sourced from a nearby farmer. I do not eat chicken for many reasons. I mainly consume beef and bacon. While yes, cows do produce methane, their contribution to GHG emissions pales in comparison to the GHG from transportation and industry (not that I'm using that as an excuse to it - I just feel better health wise).
Chill.

I dunno man, trying to catch all w the options. If I started w varying degrees of consumption, I'd have like 20 options. The poll is really meant to be either or, so the other 'options' are just catch-alls and simplifying, e.g. 'Other' if there's something not directly addressed, like your 'eat meat less, veg more' should you wish to clarify. As for 'Both', that's eating both roughly equally or vegetarian since it contains both veggies and meat products, again, not looking for varying degrees of consumption. Come to think of it, I should've left it as it originally stood since I'm getting unnecessary flack.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5773 posts
846 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 8:41 pm
Ya, it was your BK thread that somehow got me thinking.

Personally, I don't see why there's a debate IF and ofc that's a BIG hypothetical IF, all the obstacles are gone, i.e. meat and non-meat tastes same/same nutrients/costs same/same availability/etc, why do we need to kill animals?
I don’t see it happening in my lifetime, but IF all animal products could be made synthetically with non animal based ingredients, I’d be up for that. I just don’t see it happening any time soon — think of all the varieties of animal based products around the world!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25173 posts
10605 upvotes
100% no. Vegan is just insanity.
Vegetarian can at least make sense.

I'd never give up butter, dairy, honey, or the millions of other animal byproducts that aren't directly meat but are produced from animals.
Giving up meat itself is also a stretch. For a meal or two here or there? Sure. But I like my meat. It tastes delicious.
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 8:35 pm
Meaning that we can grow artificial protein in the lab that's indistinguishable from the real thing.
While I have no idea what the future holds, current testing isn't that promising.
They may be able to replicate ground meat fairly well (commercially even soon) but whole muscle? That's quite a ways off. I'd estimate that we won't see a commercially viable product in our lifetime.
We will be getting lab ground meats in the next like 10 years though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5967 posts
6030 upvotes
Vancouver
tranquility922 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2019 6:30 pm
.less variety of choices, e.g. restaurants only have few vegan choices
Vegan alternatives are often mushroom-based, and I hate mushrooms. Yuck. I have only eaten wild meat since about 1997. Fish and game. No pork, beef, chicken, or anything domesticated. I have also continued to eat dairy but I have a whey allergy, so I have cut way back on that too. I have no trouble finding something to eat at any restaurant.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5710 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
death_hawk wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2019 11:43 am
100% no. Vegan is just insanity.
Vegetarian can at least make sense.

I'd never give up butter, dairy, honey, or the millions of other animal byproducts that aren't directly meat but are produced from animals.
Giving up meat itself is also a stretch. For a meal or two here or there? Sure. But I like my meat. It tastes delicious.

While I have no idea what the future holds, current testing isn't that promising.
They may be able to replicate ground meat fairly well (commercially even soon) but whole muscle? That's quite a ways off. I'd estimate that we won't see a commercially viable product in our lifetime.
We will be getting lab ground meats in the next like 10 years though.
I don't think artificially engineered proteins and dairy products are coming anytime soon, either. Which is why I'm pretty confident I wont become vegan in the foreseeable future. Although sooner or later, I do see it coming. There's no magic in it as it's just a solution based on chemistry, and at a more basic level, physics. There will be a time when nanotechnology is commonplace, feasible, and inexpensive. When we can manipulate matter at an atomic level, we can make anything.

By the way, I wonder if someone consumes zero animal products but does eat lab-engineered chemically identical duplicates, will he still be defined as vegan? Ideologically, seems like the definition still fits to me.