Green / Eco-Friendly

Would you live in an IKEA tiny home for $86,500?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 12:09 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2016
19 posts
12 upvotes

Would you live in an IKEA tiny home for $86,500?

Now You Can Buy An Entire IKEA House For $86,500 - Consumerist.com

This came up on my radar and I thought it was pretty cool.
Would you live in a tiny house? If so, would you live in the city or farther out?
How much would you be willing to spend on building it?
Just wanted an open discussion since I'm a little tiny house obsessed at the moment :)

Looking into buying a house lately and have been honestly blown out of the water with the prices for even a modest home
(I grew up in the GTA).
Been looking into 'alternative' properties and have been happily surprised to find way better prices for large estates off the water & space to grow your own crop. Great real estate if you can make it work for your lifestyle.

Cheers!
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1861 upvotes
Edmonton
Well... First off, I wouldn't live in any "tiny" home. Not my cup of tea.

Second, @ 745 sq feet, it's more of a "small" home, rather than "tiny". There's probably no cut-and-dried industry definition, but I've lived in smaller apartments than that. Heck, even the last condo I lived in was around 1000 sq ft, with 2 bedrooms. So this was smaller than that condo, but by the time you take off the bedroom and maybe a dedicated dining area, it's not far off. The "tiny house movement" Wikipedia page suggests a cut-off of 500 sq ft between "tiny" and "small".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_house_movement

Third... Especially in the GTA market, the cost of land is a big part of the cost of a property. So when comparing prices, you need to compare apples to apples. How much is a modest home out in the wild areas that you'd consider? How much is a vacant lot?

C
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29010 posts
975 upvotes
Fernando Po
$86.500 in US, $ and from what I recall, Ikea isn't even offering this in N. America.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1861 upvotes
Edmonton
hagbard wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 3:03 am
$86.500 in US, $ and from what I recall, Ikea isn't even offering this in N. America.
It's not an "IKEA" creation. It's designed by someone who "worked with IKEA designers to craft the structure around IKEA items".

C
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7460 posts
1577 upvotes
Brampton
This ain't new(they make it sound that way). Drive out of the GTA and you'll see these "Trailers", "Modular" homes similar to the above ready to go. They don't cost $80K either. They start around $50K. You can tandem a few together to form a larger house.

A lot of "Cottages" north are done this way.

You build/pour a base and get it dropped off. Hook up power, Propane tank and your septic system and you're off to the races.

http://wholesalehousing.ca/ for example (No idea how they are It's just the place i passed by when I was in york region)
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29010 posts
975 upvotes
Fernando Po
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 11:36 am
It's not an "IKEA" creation. It's designed by someone who "worked with IKEA designers to craft the structure around IKEA items".

C
Ikea does sell houses in Europe. I think Sears should have stuck with selling house kits, they might still have a chance. I'll probably buy a Nomad as a backyard studio if I ever get around to buying a house.

Imagehttp://www.nomadmicrohomes.com/gallery/
Last edited by hagbard on Sep 7th, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1861 upvotes
Edmonton
hagbard wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 4:55 pm
Ikea does sell houses in Europe. I think Sears should have stuck with selling house kits, they might still have a chance.
That could be, but the article linked in the original post wasn't about the BoKlok houses.

C
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1585 posts
311 upvotes
Windsor
TrickyWalnut wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 4:45 pm
Now You Can Buy An Entire IKEA House For $86,500 - Consumerist.com

This came up on my radar and I thought it was pretty cool.
Would you live in a tiny house? If so, would you live in the city or farther out?
How much would you be willing to spend on building it?
Just wanted an open discussion since I'm a little tiny house obsessed at the moment :)

Looking into buying a house lately and have been honestly blown out of the water with the prices for even a modest home
(I grew up in the GTA).
Been looking into 'alternative' properties and have been happily surprised to find way better prices for large estates off the water & space to grow your own crop. Great real estate if you can make it work for your lifestyle.

Cheers!
Trailer homes (tiny homes) are plentiful, and cost a LOT less than $86k. In fact, on the used market, they're extremely cheap. What this article is talking about is a normal home made of cheap-ish materials; 745sq.ft is WAY larger than a typical tiny home, and it doesn't have wheels.

Now, the "if you have a bit of land" is a big issue as well; if you magically had land in a spot where you REALLY wanted a 745sq.ft home, you could just build one ... a 745sq.ft home is not expensive to build, especially if you don't want a basement.

Now, would I live in a 745 sq.ft home? Sure; me and the GF live in a 1,200sq.ft place, and we have a few useless rooms. Something logically laid out, in that size, would be plenty. I'd almost always want to live in the city; bars, entertainment, and everyone I know is a similar mindset, so they all live there. I'd only want to live in the county if I gave up on society/wanting to be normal and wanted to start living "off the grid"; basically, if I wanted a farm. How much would I spend? Well, 745sq.ft homes are about $80k where I live (Windsor), so right around there.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2609 posts
364 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
article is from 2012.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1179 posts
692 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Canadian version

http://www.honomobo.com/
Andre Oliveira - Mortgage Agent
FSCO # 10428 - Mortgage Intelligence
BTW = I'm the former "Laptop-tech" member here. Just changed the username.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10857 posts
1475 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I hate IKEA, so the answer would be no.
I hate small homes, so the answer would be no.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.