• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2018 7:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 22, 2018
2 posts

Which would you pick Volvo XC60 or Audi Q5

Hi guys,

I am In the market either one, however, i couldn't decide because i dont really like how the Audi q5 look outside (love the thor hammer from Volvo and not many people in BC drives Volvo. I wanted to move away from the norm haha, but i heard Volvo has reliability issue and Audi can give me better discount rate. Just curious which one would you pick?
PS: I probably will get most of the technology packages offer on either car if that would change any opinions

Thank you
36 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21874 posts
6895 upvotes
Toronto
Neither.

Get a Toyota/ Lexus and call it the day Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
May 7, 2016
301 posts
220 upvotes
Loved Audis, until I got a new Volvo and never looked back. They are amazing, safe, look classy and unique, way better option than a Q5.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3288 posts
477 upvotes
Montreal
Volvo has no brand image. Get Audi
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8329 posts
6860 upvotes
Oakville
Q5's are almost as bland as Corollas. Quality wise they're about the same. Go for the Volvo if you want something unique. Go for the Q5 if you want to lose your car in the parking lots full of other Q5s, may as well save some money and get a VW Tiguan.
Last edited by engineered on Dec 4th, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1882 posts
632 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Audi is head and shoulders above Volvo for reliability. And there are other makes that surpass Audi. So at the very least, get an Audi.

CR gave it an overall score of 66 which is pretty low. They also commented on the stiff ride and the maddening controls, so keep those in mind if you test drive one.
Diversity is Our Burden
May 31, 2005
124 posts
46 upvotes
I'm seeing more and more XC60s on the road. So for the sake of keeping my car more unique, I would say get a Q5. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Seriously though, what kind of reliability problems have you heard about the XC60? The hybrid T8 seems to encounter some problems, but is also the most sought after trim. The Drive-E engines have been around since 2016 so by now they should be more solid.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23280 posts
3590 upvotes
If you don't like how the Q5 looks, why would you buy it? Get the XC60. As you even state yourself, everyone in their grandma as Q5 (in standard colours of dull, drab, or boring--black, grey, white) so if you're interested in going with something different and already like it better than the Q5, pretty sure you answered your own question.
Oct 16, 2007
26 posts
5 upvotes
Get the Volvo if you're leasing, Volvo is still working out the glitches in the new sensus system. Q5 is more reliable in the long run, all depends on how long you plan to keep your car.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4474 posts
680 upvotes
Montreal
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:58 am
If you don't like how the Q5 looks, why would you buy it? Get the XC60. As you even state yourself, everyone in their grandma as Q5 (in standard colours of dull, drab, or boring--black, grey, white) so if you're interested in going with something different and already like it better than the Q5, pretty sure you answered your own question.
Exactly. Take whatever that stands out without having to worry about reliability in a lease.
Nov 4, 2008
625 posts
415 upvotes
GTA
I've been driving my new XC90 T8 since June 2016 and don't have any reliability issues honestly. Software updates sure but never once have I been stranded on the road. Already have 33,000 km's on it and love the car! Go for Volvo for sure Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5638 posts
501 upvotes
I was in similar situation deciding between GLC, Q5 and XC60 about a year ago. Ended up with a XC60 R-Design T6. Love it so far. I have driven both Audi and MB before and my parents had two Volvo, so I'm not new to these brands. The new Volvos are cool unlike the older ones. I ranked the XC60 first, then Q5 and last being the GLC.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3592 posts
747 upvotes
Ottawa
We had the same choice to make earlier this year and chose the Q5 Progressiv but it was a close call. The better selection of colours and equipment helped tip the scales (the volume of Volvos on the lots in Ottawa wasn't great when we were in the market). Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either but my wife loves her Q5.

Note: if you do your own tire changes and you don't have previous experience with a German marque, you might the German-style mounting lug bolts to be a PITA. I know I do.
Aug 25, 2009
524 posts
93 upvotes
I wasn't too impressed by the Q5's looks but we got a black one with S-line and LED package and it's really nice. Drives really well too, quiet, smooth suspension, good power and transmission. Didn't try the XC60 though, but tried the GLC and it kinda sucked compared to the Q5.
Oct 2, 2017
439 posts
282 upvotes
Volvos aren't reliable. Get the Audi
bottles on me, long as someone drink it