Off Topic Archive

Locked: Would you be satisfied with a $55,000 salary?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2012 12:17 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 8, 2005
784 posts
23 upvotes
MasZakrY wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 9:35 pm
your "families HOUSEHOLD income is above 6 digits", which if my math is right, would make your household income over 1 million dollars. Your family may be well off with what I am assuming was meant to be over 100k but you're in arts, which means likely working in the family business. Vis a vis your parents are paying you an arbitrary figure to prop up your lifestyle are not even close to being independent. I like the dig at friends whom are doctors, coming from the guy in arts.

No, a six figure salary means 100k...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1805 posts
16 upvotes
Superboot wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 9:40 pm
No, a six figure salary means 100k...

"above six figures" is seven figures. I checked.
Jesus Saves, GOD Backs-Up

Packin HEAT
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1472 posts
138 upvotes
MasZakrY wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 9:48 pm
"above six figures" is seven figures. I checked.

Sorry, should have just said 6 digits. No need to call that mistake out and be an ass. :facepalm:
MasZakrY wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 9:35 pm
your "families HOUSEHOLD income is above 6 digits", which if my math is right, would make your household income over 1 million dollars. Your family may be well off with what I am assuming was meant to be over 100k but you're in arts, which means likely working in the family business. Vis a vis your parents are paying you an arbitrary figure to prop up your lifestyle are not even close to being independent. I like the dig at friends whom are doctors, coming from the guy in arts.

No... I don't work for the family business... I have worked @ timmies or else at other businesses.

And for the record... I chose to get into Arts despite having a high enough High school average to get into Eng. Programs.

Just because im in arts dosent mean I cant take "digs" at doctors.
Jan 5, 2009
430 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I'm making 43k/year but am up for a raise this month. My work rarely comes home with me and I do love my job however I could make more elsewhere. Oh and the location is great. 1 bus trip there and back..each about 30-45 minutes. I graduated 2yrs ago so i hope to make much more down the road.
Banned
Dec 30, 2011
97 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton
partytime2009 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 9:03 pm
Connections help, but there is no point sitting on your behind and complaining about how unfair life is if you have no connections. Get out there and work your butt off.

Kind of hard to do that when you've been in school for 6+ years and can't even find a minimum wage job due to a lack of experience. The brutal reality is that we don't live in a meritocracy no matter how much we want to delude ourselves into thinking so. The "If you work hard enough, you'll succeed" mantra is only accepted as truth by those who are hopelessly naive.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1805 posts
16 upvotes
Maedhros wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 9:56 pm
Sorry, should have just said 6 digits. No need to call that mistake out and be an ass. :facepalm:

No... I don't work for the family business... I have worked @ timmies or else at other businesses.

And for the record... I chose to get into Arts despite having a high enough High school average to get into Eng. Programs.

Just because im in arts dosent mean I cant take "digs" at doctors.

I've heard so many people in my life use the "over ___ digits" in my life incorrectly, I just had to point it out. No assery intended on that point.

Having high enough grades coming out of high school to theoretically become a brain surgeon and then choosing to become a janitor doesn't make one at same affluence, social standing or as well-read as a graduated and practicing brain surgeon. Choosing to get into arts, laughing at practicing doctors, bragging about your families income and falling into a good job due to family connections isn't really what this thread is all about.
Jesus Saves, GOD Backs-Up

Packin HEAT
Banned
Jan 20, 2009
518 posts
8 upvotes
Trooper01 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 10:07 pm
Kind of hard to do that when you've been in school for 6+ years and can't even find a minimum wage job due to a lack of experience. The brutal reality is that we don't live in a meritocracy no matter how much we want to delude ourselves into thinking so. The "If you work hard enough, you'll succeed" mantra is only accepted as truth by those who are hopelessly naive.

6+ years at university and can't find a minimum wage job? I am sorry but I don't know anyone with that dilemma. If we're going to mention outliers, a classmate of mine became AVP of client acquisition within two years of graduating university. See how silly it is to infer anything from outliers?

If you want to mope and whine like a baby about how unfair life is be my guest, but I don't externalize my failings and so far so good. If I fail it will be because I failed, not because some invisible "man" held me down. We're becoming a society of whiners. We want everyone else to fix our problems and if we don't get our way then it MUST be someone else's fault.
Banned
Dec 11, 2011
104 posts
3 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
partytime2009 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 9:03 pm
Connections help, but there is no point sitting on your behind and complaining about how unfair life is if you have no connections. Get out there and work your butt off.

living to work and working to live..

Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
Maedhros wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 8:53 pm
Your joking me right?

80k household income is pretty ****ing good. Sometimes you HAVE to settle. For your kids sake, or families sake.

Luckily my families HOUSEHOLD income is above 6 digits, but that is due to the fact that my father works 1 salary job + runs a full time business. You know how many hours of sleep he gets daily? 4, on good days 6.

HOWEVER, not everyone can work that much. Not everyone has the drive. Call that settling if you want, but I'd call that reaching a limit.

I know many many many idiots who are now doctors, lawyers, etc. from England and who got lower grades then me in HS while in the same classes. Yet im in Arts. It's laughable, but its the Truth.

North America is about connections. Because of family connections I was making more money the same amount of money as grown adults in my family who have kids. Sucks, but I was privileged and had connections, they didnt.

So please dont **** on people who are "settling."
Good for you, I also have connections.

My sister in law is a self made millionaire and employs tons of settlers across 4 provinces. I sure as hell won't be telling my daughter to settle or marry a settler. In fact, if I was a settler, I would have never met my wife and my bundle of joy would not exist.
Trooper01 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 10:07 pm

Of course we don't live in a meritocracy. Sadly I figured that out when I turned 24. I classify making the right connections as working hard too. Sell yourself as if you are the product. I made it my business to make friends in high places, as I too come from the wrong side of the tracks. By the way, what was your major?
partytime2009 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 10:26 pm
If I fail it will be because I failed, not because some invisible "man" held me down. We're becoming a society of whiners. We want everyone else to fix our problems and if we don't get our way then it MUST be someone else's fault.
Where my wife's family is from, and where my sister in law was born, there actually was a man holding everybody down. She was born in the USSR under the oppression of the communist Soviet centrally planned economy. Luckily her parents chose to bring her to a place where you can be anything you want, and not what the government demands.

Most of humankind has something or somebody holding them down (most of Africa, China, India, and for a really bad one North Korea). Not so here in Canada. So count your blessings.
Jun 5, 2010
282 posts
18 upvotes
55 K seems nice for someone who has just graduated out of college with debt. My parents raised children with less then that though, but they've always rented.

I make over 60K and honestly, I don't see how I would be able to raise a family, own a home, etc on my own single income. I use think 60K was a lot of money but when you factor in debt repayments (OSAP, Auto), raising a family, owning a home, it is not enough.

Is it doable? For sure.
Banned
Dec 30, 2011
97 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton
partytime2009 wrote:
6+ years at university and can't find a minimum wage job? I am sorry but I don't know anyone with that dilemma. If we're going to mention outliers, a classmate of mine became AVP of client acquisition within two years of graduating university. See how silly it is to infer anything from outliers?
Quite the irrational thinking you have there. Out of all of my friends and colleagues who hold master's degrees, only 2 of them have found work. The rest are either unemployed or have been laid off. Not everybody is fortunate to graduate in a field like finance and be offered 60K right out of school. The only option for must of us is to go back to being cheap research labor for a PhD and do endless postdocs for 30K until "retirement".
partytime2009 wrote:
If you want to mope and whine like a baby about how unfair life is be my guest, but I don't externalize my failings and so far so good. If I fail it will be because I failed, not because some invisible "man" held me down. We're becoming a society of whiners. We want everyone else to fix our problems and if we don't get our way then it MUST be someone else's fault.

Where did I say some "invisible man" is holding me down? Where did I say I'm moping or whining like a baby? I think you need to calm down. It seems you have confused yourself.
Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
Trooper01 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 11:11 pm
Quite the irrational thinking you have there. Out of all of my friends and colleagues who hold master's de
grees, only 2 of them have found work. The rest are either unemployed or have been laid off. Not everybody is fortunate to graduate in a field like finance and be offered 60K right out of school. The only option for must of us is to go back to being cheap research labor for a PhD and do endless postdocs for 30K until "retirement".

What do you have a masters degree in? Perhaps you could consider relocating to another part of the country. If you live in Ontario, maybe consider moving out west?
Banned
Dec 30, 2011
97 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton
Le Loon wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 11:18 pm
What do you have a masters degree in? Perhaps you could consider relocating to another part of the country. If you live in Ontario, maybe consider moving out west?

Physics and it is going to be pretty difficult to just pack up and move without any offer as that requires money that I don't have. Job prospects for a physicist out west seem to be the same in Ontario, sadly.
Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
Trooper01 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 11:32 pm
Physics and it is going to be pretty difficult to just pack up and move without any offer as that requires money that I don't have. Job prospects for a physicist out west seem to be the same in Ontario, sadly.
My brother was in a similar situation, except he had a BS in math. He took the required courses in Geophysics, and is now a member of APEGGA and a registered geophysicist.

Physics (of the earth science kind) is in high demand in Alberta for resource exploration and extraction. Your skills would be greatly appreciated at a place like Exxon Mobil or Conoco Phillips. Why not go in that direction?

You would be paid much more than somebody in finance, but on the downside nepotism runs wild in the oil and gas industry.