Off Topic Archive

Locked: Would you be satisfied with a $55,000 salary?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2012 12:17 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Dec 30, 2011
97 posts
21 upvotes
Hamilton
Le Loon wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 11:39 pm
My brother was in a similar situation, except he had a BS in math. He took the required courses in Geophysics, and is now a member of APEGGA and a registered geophysicist.

Physics (of the earth science kind) is in high demand in Alberta for resource exploration and extraction. Your skills would be greatly appreciated at a place like Exxon Mobil or Conoco Phillips. Why not go in that direction?

You would be paid much more than somebody in finance, but on the downside nepotism runs wild in the oil and gas industry.

Interesting. I have always been under the impression that jobs in the O&G industry have always been exclusive to chemical engineers. Unfortunately I've already specialized in a different field of physics that isn't as lucrative. Are you sure your brother isn't the exception to the rule? I myself have read of a few physicists that work in finance and it most certainly is not the norm.
Jun 14, 2010
731 posts
39 upvotes
Edmonton
Trooper01 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2012 12:01 am
Interesting. I have always been under the impression that jobs in the O&G industry have always been exclusive to chemical engineers. Unfortunately I've already specialized in a different field of physics that isn't as lucrative. Are you sure your brother isn't the exception to the rule? I myself have read of a few physicists that work in finance and it most certainly is not the norm.

Most people are generally unaware of the discipline of geophysics. Graduating classes have handfuls of people.

He's not the exception. I would suggest looking into it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8128 posts
764 upvotes
gulmoh wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 10:54 pm
My parents raised children with less then that though, but they've always rented.

I make over 60K and honestly, I don't see how I would be able to raise a family, own a home, etc on my own single income. I use think 60K was a lot of money but when you factor in debt repayments (OSAP, Auto), raising a family, owning a home, it is not enough.

Is it doable? For sure.

When I do some introspective analysis, I always wonder how my parents were able to raise us on much less than what I make on my own, and then how Mrs Stock and I barely manage with both our incomes.

Our generation is spoiled rotten.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3067 posts
306 upvotes
CALGARY
That's about the amount I make right now. I paid off my mortgage and have basement rented out. I still feel a little tight on budget as I would like to max out RESP of my kids and still save money.

Since my ex-manager has gone away, I don't like my job anymore - as new manager is busy 24-7 to impress his management and doesn't take any time off + he's constantly changing his mind and generates stupid tasks for me etc. It's hard for me to do the thing that doesn't make any sense to me.

Oh well. 55K is a decent salary if you know how to live within your means.
  • To overcome evil with good is good, to resist evil by evil is evil.
  • A sign of a person’s evil is his need to constantly argue.