Art and Photography

Would you sell your lenses to a buyer like this?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2017 12:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9931 posts
1371 upvotes
neltron3030 wrote: I get angry thinking about it!
heh.

The guy I sold it to was even funnier. I told him to bring a body as I already sold my 5d2 and 60d. He says ok. But of course he doesn't show up with one.

We go to the blacks at the mall and surprisingly she let us borrow her 70d display. The guy and I talk and he has no idea how to remove the kit lens on the 70d. He yanks and twists it over and over. At this point, I feel like he is going to break the demo unit, so I mount the 100-400 for him. He takes a few shots and says ok. I mount back the kit lens and thanked the sales at blacks.

He then say.. I have 800. Can I pay thr rest via paypal. Of course I say no. At this point, I thought the sale was over and he wasted my time. But no!. He says, lets go to TD and he will withdraw the rest.

As we go to TD, he tells me he bought a 70-300DO that he is not happy with. He bought it used and didnt notice it had mold in it. Spent 300 to clean it only to have it come back.

I get paid in full. Give him the lens. Left confused as to how a guy that has another 1k+ lens (and now a 2nd one) have no idea how to mount a lens.
Sep 28, 2009
425 posts
49 upvotes
GTA
Aggy wrote: Great thread.

I always put in my ad to text or call me only and that I won't respond to emails. I find that usually sorts out the idiots.
I actually find it annoying when people put that in. Email is easier for me at work than texting. I don't want my number all over the internet. Not sure why anyone would.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on Kijiji with only minor annoyances.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1813 posts
1358 upvotes
Toronto
Jeez, I wouldn't even deal with someone like that.
Dec 24, 2007
483 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver
I was selling my Ipad one time and someone asked for me to meet with them at a Starbucks 20 minutes away from where I live on a Saturday. I agreed and met with him. He looked over my Ipad for about 10 minutes and said he would get back to me after he visits 2 other people selling their Ipads. DO NOT CALL ME TO DRIVE OUT IF YOU'RE NOT SERIOUS IN BUYING!

He then said I had potential in sales and tried to recruit me for some pyramid scheme.

I was pissed. He wasted over an hour of my time and gas and he just wanted to compare with others and not purchase? Honestly I feel like he was meeting up with people selling items on craigslist just to recruit them for his pyramid scheme.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2255 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Very interesting stories and some unfortunate stories. I've been buying and selling on Kijiji for awhile now and I've yet to encounter a serious problem with a buyer or seller to discourage me from continuing.

For the most part, I request to meet at a McDonalds near my place. I always exclusively deal with email first before exchanging my number with them - which I only do once the meet-up is confirmed. In the emails, I confirm that the price is firm and there will be no negotiating.

I never drive out or go any distance to sell something (I will make the effort when buying), so I don't run into a flopper and waste my time and gas, unless it's on the way to something or at a mall where I can make a trip out of it. Otherwise, if they can't meet where I want them to, I know there's always another seller who will.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Sold 2 lenses today from kijiji buyers. Overall good experiences today but one guy really looking for a reason to lower my price. Said some weird things too lol. Looked at glass and said there's a big scratch. I blew the spec of dust off for him. Said he can get a canon 50 1.2 for the same price as my sigma 30 but it wasn't wide enough. I told him to get me one. Then he said he just bought a 6d for 650 and the sigma was for that. I didn't tell him the sigma won't work on full frame but I asked him to get me a 6d too if he could. Then he didn't know how to mount the lens on his t5i which he pulled out after. Weird as he said he just bought a 6d. Then he said the focusing didn't work as it didn't light up green in the middle. Of course not as he wasn't using centre focus point. Then he asked me where the uv filter was as he said all lenses come with filters. Didn't know what to say to him about that. After giving me money he then said he was getting a 50 1.4 from best buy for 200 after. I thought he said a 50 wasn't wide enough? I hope the buyer won't read this post lol. Nce guy though. Just some strange comments.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Aggy wrote: Sold 2 lenses today from kijiji buyers. Overall good experiences today but one guy really looking for a reason to lower my price. Said some weird things too lol. Looked at glass and said there's a big scratch. I blew the spec of dust off for him. Said he can get a canon 50 1.2 for the same price as my sigma 30 but it wasn't wide enough. I told him to get me one. Then he said he just bought a 6d for 650 and the sigma was for that. I didn't tell him the sigma won't work on full frame but I asked him to get me a 6d too if he could. Then he didn't know how to mount the lens on his t5i which he pulled out after. Weird as he said he just bought a 6d. Then he said the focusing didn't work as it didn't light up green in the middle. Of course not as he wasn't using centre focus point. Then he asked me where the uv filter was as he said all lenses come with filters. Didn't know what to say to him about that. After giving me money he then said he was getting a 50 1.4 from best buy for 200 after. I thought he said a 50 wasn't wide enough? I hope the buyer won't read this post lol. Nce guy though. Just some strange comments.
[IMG]http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... on-Gif.gif[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
That was a hilarious story Aggy, the buyer would have broke me.

Yesterday I bought a practically brand new ND and at the end of the transaction the kijiji seller said he hardly used it because he couldn't see with it on his 6D. I guess he didn't know you can in LiveView.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: That was a hilarious story Aggy, the buyer would have broke me.

Yesterday I bought a practically brand new ND and at the end of the transaction the kijiji seller said he hardly used it because he couldn't see with it on his 6D. I guess he didn't know you can in LiveView.
Lol.

Oh and the buyer yesterday was trying to put the rear end cap on the front of the lens as I walked away... Laughing of course.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
2442 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto
I have sold a couple of stuff on Kijiji. Here is what I was told is useful. Just state in your ad:

"Price is firm, state where and when to meet please if you are a serious buyer".

If you get a response that doesn't have anything except "is this still for sale?", then I don't bother respond with those idiots. Many of these people don't read English are likely to ask a bunch of dumba$$ questions.

I find a lot of people who don't speak/type proper English are challenged when it comes to proper atiquette.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
My only bad experience with a buyer (tire kickers aside) was similar to some of those posted here, there appears to be a correlation between bad grammar with constant demands to meet and on the spot lowballing or shortchanging. Because of this the meeting location/time is always on my terms, I never go out of my way to meet someone, and I research the buyer beforehand when possible.

I assume that these people just hang around buying random stuff to lowball and flip for quick profit, in my case someone wanted laptop RAM but sounded like he had no idea what he wanted or how to install it.
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Apr 7, 2007
59 posts
9 upvotes
i just sold my NEW kit lense and used 70D body and the buyer emails me later claiming that the camera dial is not working properly ....likely he did not press the button before turning the dial and damaged it. then says screw was missing from new lense and probably fell into camera body and jammed up the dial. Then claims there were micro abrasion on the the new lense.

I sold the camera with 18 months warranty from bestbuy...if there was a problem he could have it taken it to them. and the new kit lense also had warranty...if it was missing a screw or had scratched on lense it should have been covered.

i looked over the camera the day before and it was fully working, including the dial, and there were no scratched on the lense. Said he paid over $150 to fix...not sure if he wanted a refund...lol....i did not offer one!!

EBAY was really bad...scammers were not using the pay now button. were actually calling my cell phone to get my paypal address...
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1588 posts
1599 upvotes
Montreal
thericyip wrote: I do background checks for people I have to meet elsewhere. If I can't find their name along with the keyword "photography", I am hesitant. If they're coming to me, I usually don't care since even if it they don't buy it, it's only 10 minutes wasted. This applies to both buying and selling.

I've only had 2 bad experiences. The first one was many years ago, when I was selling a Canon XTi body. Buyer want to try it, said that he has a lens and card for it. I asked him several instances on if he was sure that he knew what he was doing. He assures me he does. Cool. I meet him across town at his work and he puts on a 85/1.8 with a lens. Sure, whatever. Then he brilliantly takes a Canon 2GB SD card and put its in the CF card slot. HUH DOESN'T FIT. NO SH!T. He thought just that just because it was a Canon camera, any Canon branded memory card will do. Son of a gun wasted 2 hours of my time. I will never go out of my way to meet a person for a sale unless I know of the person.

Second bad experience wasn't as bad. Met a buyer downtown to selling a Nikon lens. I had to go to some meetings anyway so it was convenient. He tries it on his camera, says he loves it and other BS. 5 minutes later, our agreed upon price was apparently too much for him anyway and lowballed me by $50. I had just signed a contract and I was feeling generous. He was kind about it too so I let him have the lens for the lower price.
Well my last two big sales were to beginners that take pictures for fun. (Nikon D750 and Canon 6d + 5 lenses :O)

I wouldn't ignore regular people
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I had some low ballers, even someone who asked what I was smoking lol, but sold two 6D's for asking price in the last few months.
I state pickup only, no trades, firm prices. I use a spam email account and pseudo name on kijiji. I simply don't respond to low balls and I delete trollers immediately, method working well for years.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8587 posts
5370 upvotes
Yrs ago I drove to Etobicoke to sell a BB Q10. He looks at it & claims theres a spot on the body of the phone that is blacker than the rest of the black coloured phone (lol). He said due to this blacker than black spot, he would have to lower his buying price by $100. When I told him he was being ridiculous, he said "that's the game" (whatever that means). I told him we could go to Tim Hortons & ask 10 random strangers if they could see what he was imagining.

Of course he declined, knowing full well he was full of BS. He acted incredulous when I walked away, he kept saying you sure you don't wanna sell it?
Jan 22, 2015
601 posts
671 upvotes
N/A
There's a slew of buyers that haunt the used markets looking for desperate sellers; junkies, gamblers, people with problems that need the cash now. These are the ones that the bottom feeders are looking for. They really aren't interested in whatever the item is at all. Most likely they flip on to another market.

We had an odd experience selling our (not camera related, sorry) Poang chairs and footstools with the upgraded leather cushions. Ooh, they haggled like no tomorrow, but they were serious buyers and in the end met my price because it was fairly discounted on condition and age. But wow, I felt wrung out afterwards. Gee whiz, I didn't know there were that many plays in the book, lol. So yeah, know your stuff and price and when the haggling gets to be too much, pull the plug and walk away.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Photography gearheads for the most part are reasonable people and pleasant to deal with. Low ballers are likely flippers and it's a quick delete of the email or kijiji app convo if it's not even close to asking price.

I use to include a contact number in the ad (text app on my iPhone just for kijiji), and leaving it out, I don't get the lame out-of-country scammers with poor grammar texting me anymore. Now I only give it out pending a transaction that's going to happen.
Banned
Oct 27, 2016
192 posts
44 upvotes
The buyer is just fine, but you shouldn't consider the $50 discount. If he is willing to pay the full price then you should sell your lens to him. It's not really a dirty trick to try and minimize the price a little, it's just a simple trick. And besides, he said he saw, and now he can't find any. That proves that there wasn't any scratch, just some dust maybe.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
I actually had a screw missing in the 50-500 lens of my first DLSR system which I had just bought at a brick and mortar. I could hear it rattling in the lens body and when I looked at the mount area spotted the hole it came out of. Looking closer and testing some of the other screws in the mount I found another that was loose.

I can only surmise they tried to sell me a lens that had been out and about a bit. It was on sale for a decent price but nothing in their advert said open box or used - it was all "New!"

I was ticked off at the run around they gave me, initially telling me to send it out for a warranty repair. They finally agreed to swap it for a lens at another location of theirs and that location did get more business from me but not the original store.
Last edited by NewsyL on Feb 23rd, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)