Cell Phones

Would you sign up for Koodo ($30) or Mobilicity ($22.50)?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2012 12:35 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 14, 2012
102 posts
4 upvotes

Would you sign up for Koodo ($30) or Mobilicity ($22.50)?

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble trying to decide which wireless provider to switch to from Rogers.

I don't have a data plan currently and I would like to have one just for odd times.

Right now I have an unlocked iPhone 4, which I am sad to part with if I go with Mobilicity. But they do have an HTC Amaze 4g that looks nice and is currently on sale. I just worry about the reception. I would like to use my phone at York University when I'm there inside the buildings....

So here are my options:

1. Koodo ($30/mo) - Unlimited text & picture/video messaging, unlimited outgoing text (from Canada to US?), 150min, 7pm evenings and weekends, caller id, voice mail, conference call, call waiting, 200mb data AND use my iPhone.

2. Mobilicity ($22.50)- Unlimited everything AND purchase HTC Amaze 4G for $249+tax.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! I would like to take advantage of one of these plans. If you're a Mobilicity customer, let me know what you think about your service.

Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15885 posts
353 upvotes
Mobilicity is not so great indoors especially apartments or campuses I found. I'd go with koodo because reception is important.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
If you want reception go with Koodo
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1925 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Why not get the Samsung Galaxy S2X from Koodo for $50+$150tab-$100GC from BB, FS or RCSS?

You can sign up with your $30/m with them and try out a month. Cancel and pay the tab and try out Mobilicty for a month too. Total cost including GC for 2 months of testing both companies is about $150. Less if you use BB rewards or RCSS preauth payment promo. You do need to unlock the S2X which can be done free.

If you don't like Mobilicity, I am sure Koodo would like to have you back, or you can try other companies like Telus or Wind with their $50 bring your phone promo and try out for a month with them. Doubt their promo will carry if you cancel after a month though.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
I have many people in GTA try mobolicity and within 2 weeks cancel, these where heavy cell users who wanted to cut down cost but service just lacked in areas they needed service.

koodo is nationwide and on the bell tower system so works great , so for extra 7.50 a month = service no dropped calls basically anywhere cellphones are covered in canada.
Jul 16, 2012
190 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
aub3rgine wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 11:20 am
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble trying to decide which wireless provider to switch to from Rogers.

I don't have a data plan currently and I would like to have one just for odd times.

Right now I have an unlocked iPhone 4, which I am sad to part with if I go with Mobilicity. But they do have an HTC Amaze 4g that looks nice and is currently on sale. I just worry about the reception. I would like to use my phone at York University when I'm there inside the buildings....

So here are my options:

1. Koodo ($30/mo) - Unlimited text & picture/video messaging, unlimited outgoing text (from Canada to US?), 150min, 7pm evenings and weekends, caller id, voice mail, conference call, call waiting, 200mb data AND use my iPhone.

2. Mobilicity ($22.50)- Unlimited everything AND purchase HTC Amaze 4G for $249+tax.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! I would like to take advantage of one of these plans. If you're a Mobilicity customer, let me know what you think about your service.

Thanks!
go with koodo. having the better network and the ability to use your current iphone are the two best reasons to go with them. the savings are wiped out by having to buy that htc. good luck!
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
102 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it. I found out that Virgin mobile is offering the same plan for the same price.

What are your thoughts on Virgin mobile?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1925 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
aub3rgine wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 9:21 pm
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it. I found out that Virgin mobile is offering the same plan for the same price.

What are your thoughts on Virgin mobile?
You can get the Virgin Samsung S2 from BB/FS/RCSS for $50+$150tab-$100GC-other rewards. Better phone then S2X but won't work with Mobilicity if you want to try them out later.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2682 posts
222 upvotes
GTA
Keep in mind that the Koodo deal is centered around the fact they hope you incur overages on the 150min daytime and 200mb data. You're fine if you're sure you won't exceed those though. 200mb of data should be good for browsing and jumping onto wifi as often as you can. Especially for things like app updates.

As for Koodo or Virgin, it shouldn't really matter in the GTA. Koodo runs on the Telus network and Virgin runs on Bells. You should be fine with either one.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
102 posts
4 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 10:14 pm
You can get the Virgin Samsung S2 from BB/FS/RCSS for $50+$150tab-$100GC-other rewards. Better phone then S2X but won't work with Mobilicity if you want to try them out later.
Thanks, you are great! I will consider this option.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
297 upvotes
New Westminster
theguyz wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 4:15 pm
I have many people in GTA try mobolicity and within 2 weeks cancel, these where heavy cell users who wanted to cut down cost but service just lacked in areas they needed service.

koodo is nationwide and on the bell tower system so works great , so for extra 7.50 a month = service no dropped calls basically anywhere cellphones are covered in canada.
I'm pretty sure Koodo is under telus not bell unless your talking about areas that telus doesn't operate in. Or does telus use bell towers as well?
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
102 posts
4 upvotes
Dave98 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 10:15 pm
Keep in mind that the Koodo deal is centered around the fact they hope you incur overages on the 150min daytime and 200mb data. You're fine if you're sure you won't exceed those though. 200mb of data should be good for browsing and jumping onto wifi as often as you can. Especially for things like app updates.

As for Koodo or Virgin, it shouldn't really matter in the GTA. Koodo runs on the Telus network and Virgin runs on Bells. You should be fine with either one.
I survived 3 years on 100 minutes anytime , 150 minutes is more than good for me haha, great to know.
Jan 22, 2012
160 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I was Mobilicity and I had NO reception in my bedroom and many places indoors.

Go with Koodo.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13077 posts
1034 upvotes
Montreal
200mb of data is a joke. I go through that in one sitting on the throne :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
Keas wrote:
Dec 26th, 2012 10:58 pm
I'm pretty sure Koodo is under telus not bell unless your talking about areas that telus doesn't operate in. Or does telus use bell towers as well?
Telus and Bell share towers except in metro areas
× < >