Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4818 posts
523 upvotes

Would you spend $150 on fixing this?

My window goes off the track and curves inwards as it goes up.(it doesnt really go out of the track until its about 75% up) I can solve it by pressing the window outwards with my finger while i pull the power window button with my other hand to move it up.

Mechanic said i need a new regulator because mines is bent. (I dont know if thats true or not) but lets say it is. A new regulator plus the labour will be $150.

Question is... would you spend $150 to fix this, or would you prefer to just do the extra second of work of pushing the window outwards with your finger everytime you close it?

The reason is i don't know how long i want to keep this car. If i was to keep it for 2+ years than i would replace it. But i "may" be changing the car within a years time.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1571 upvotes
After a vehicle is off warranty, I always say does it affect the way the vehcile runs or drives. Would it leave you stranded, or is it just a pain. Now if the window didnt work at all, get it fixed, but if its still live-able Id just leave it be.

My truck has a few things here and there that could be fixed, but dont because they wont leave me stranded (as in I cant operate the back driver window from my controls, yet it works fine back there)

My gas guage is the same, works and then sometimes will just shoot to E. Expensive to fix, but I know how much kms I get a tank, so I dont bother fixing it
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3900 posts
1213 upvotes
Ottawa
It would depend on the vehicle - if it's a work-related or older vehicle, I might not but if it's newer and higher end, then I would absolutely fix it. IOW, I might have let this go on my 12 y.o. Volvo wagon but I'd get it fixed pronto on my Cadillac CTS.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33903 posts
7813 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you at all handy?
If so, remove the door panels (this can be tricky because you may have to take some screws out as well as prying the door panel out of the tabs). Anyway, then you can get access to the window mechanism. First, make sure everything is tight.
Open and close the window and when you push on the glass, see what you are moving down below. Then bend the frame below until you adjust it to the right position. This is sort of a trial and error thing.
It take a bit of time and if you don't want to attempt this, then pay the pro and it is guaranteed to work afterward.
Is it worth it, to get it fixed, absolutely, regardless of how old the car is. If you forget to push the glass once, when it is cold and the glass breaks or shatters, it will cost you more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4818 posts
523 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 6:40 pm
Are you at all handy?
If so, remove the door panels (this can be tricky because you may have to take some screws out as well as prying the door panel out of the tabs). Anyway, then you can get access to the window mechanism. First, make sure everything is tight.
Open and close the window and when you push on the glass, see what you are moving down below. Then bend the frame below until you adjust it to the right position. This is sort of a trial and error thing.
It take a bit of time and if you don't want to attempt this, then pay the pro and it is guaranteed to work afterward.
Is it worth it, to get it fixed, absolutely, regardless of how old the car is. If you forget to push the glass once, when it is cold and the glass breaks or shatters, it will cost you more.

I've took it apart myself before. Tried to figure out what was the problem, but couldnt really find any problems. I did notice that the regulator (the part with the 4 screws, when i unscrewed them, and pushed the window into the track fully, the 4 bolt holes will be out of alignment with the screw holes.) when i realign the holes, the window gets off the track again.

So possibly the mechanic is right about the regulator having to be replaced.

Should i start trying to bend the regulator itself to try and "straighten" it again, even though it looks straight to me... am i risking any further damage? If not than i shall attempt it. If it could possibly damage other components, than i will likely get it replaced by the mechanic.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33903 posts
7813 upvotes
Ottawa
azncapcom wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 7:07 pm
I've took it apart myself before. Tried to figure out what was the problem, but couldnt really find any problems. I did notice that the regulator (the part with the 4 screws, when i unscrewed them, and pushed the window into the track fully, the 4 bolt holes will be out of alignment with the screw holes.) when i realign the holes, the window gets off the track again.

So possibly the mechanic is right about the regulator having to be replaced.

Should i start trying to bend the regulator itself to try and "straighten" it again, even though it looks straight to me... am i risking any further damage? If not than i shall attempt it. If it could possibly damage other components, than i will likely get it replaced by the mechanic.
If you loosened the screws and it all lined up, there is something in the linkage that is bentand making it off track. You will need to find that part.
For $150 the mechanic will not be replacing much but, as I said, if you cannot figure it out (and don't feel bad about it cause that stuff can be tricky), let the mechanic have a shot. At least he will fiddle around till it is right.
May 20, 2010
788 posts
102 upvotes
Spidey wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 6:11 pm

My gas guage is the same, works and then sometimes will just shoot to E. Expensive to fix, but I know how much kms I get a tank, so I dont bother fixing it

Do you drive a Frontier by chance?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2009
4818 posts
523 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Oct 5th, 2010 8:06 am
If you loosened the screws and it all lined up, there is something in the linkage that is bentand making it off track. You will need to find that part.
For $150 the mechanic will not be replacing much but, as I said, if you cannot figure it out (and don't feel bad about it cause that stuff can be tricky), let the mechanic have a shot. At least he will fiddle around till it is right.

well when i loosen the screws the 4 holes did stayed lined up i think, but the second i use the power window, the thing moves up and down and off the line of the hole. When i force the window into the track with my hands, the 4 holes goes out of alignment. I have to use the power window switch back and forth till the bolts line up. Which in the end just keeps the window OFF track.

Do you think forcefully trying to bend the regulator here and there will possibly have it back on the track properly? If not and i had to buy a new regulator, is it hard to install it myself. It doesnt look too hard, since the whole assembly comes together, you kinda drop it in and screw it in place?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1571 upvotes
Offspring22 wrote:
Oct 5th, 2010 11:30 am
Do you drive a Frontier by chance?

Yes, but its not under the recall. Same damn problem as the recall, but the s/n dont match, which is like WTF
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
155 upvotes
Murica
I wouldn't spend any $ to fix it.
I'd open the door panel myself and push the window back up. And detach the power into the pwr window regulator.
May 20, 2010
788 posts
102 upvotes
Spidey wrote:
Oct 5th, 2010 12:45 pm
Yes, but its not under the recall. Same damn problem as the recall, but the s/n dont match, which is like WTF

Same boat here. for what its worth, it was $130 in parts from the stealership (can order cheaper online, but they had them in stock) and about an hours worth of work. Was a fairly easy fix if you get as annoyed with it as I did. Now I'm fighting with the tailgate hinge.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3020 posts
390 upvotes
North Etobicoke
When you set it back in the track, can you get to line up two of the four bolts or can you place washers at some of the four bolts to tightened when the window is in the track.
OR try to loosen everything set it in up position in track and then tighten all or only two and see what happens.

Top frame of the window slightly bent?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5777 posts
463 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Your window regulator is probably gone. You can replace it with a used one for.... $50-$75? I've done it before, did the labour myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8376 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
my ford explorer has this annoying problem on the driver door. i've fixed the damn thing twice and it just started doing it again after maybe 10 months later. i think it's broken for good this time lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5920 posts
50 upvotes
GT-eh
You should replace your window motor or something to do with it. Shouldn't cost that much unless their labour is super expensive.