Would you take counter offer?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 11:15 pm
Sep 11, 2012
164 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver

Would you take counter offer?

I found a new job and accepted offer, when I gave my notice, my boss said he would do anything if I stay with the company. Has anyone experienced the same?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2321 posts
1106 upvotes
Alberta
flyguy1104 wrote: I found a new job and accepted offer, when I gave my notice, my boss said he would do anything if I stay with the company. Has anyone experienced the same?
From all the research out there you should never take a counter offer. Your boss may just need you now until he/she finds a replacement.
Feb 8, 2017
459 posts
261 upvotes
happened to me a couple of times. i never entertain the counter offer. If i've made up my mind to leave, gone through interviews, and landed another offer then done deal as far as i'm concerned. it always makes me laugh when it takes leaving to get something from your current job. if they valued you at all you would be having these conversations way before you thought of leaving and putting yourself on the market.

the main problem with a counter is that it doesn't really change the reasons for why you wanted to leave the company on the first place, unless of course you are leaving for money and your old place is willing to double your salary :)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
This is a touchy subject in the IT industry, especially with those who feel they are suffering from wage compression.

Very few people will end up taking the counter offer, but after 30 years of being in this industry, I can safely say that those who have had not only done well but have stayed.

It really comes down to how you position yourself when asking for a counter offer. If it's a "Company X will pay me more, so what's your counter", then you might as well leave. However, if your viewpoint is "I really like it here, and I've been headhunted and given a better financial offer, and I have to provide for my family and have financial responsibilities to take care of, is there anything you can do to help me here?" - the latter may be better.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3538 upvotes
Never! You already had a reason to go and went through interview processes and accepting an offer.

Too late, so sad for them.

You take care of you.
Oct 24, 2009
398 posts
96 upvotes
aubgray1 wrote: the main problem with a counter is that it doesn't really change the reasons for why you wanted to leave the company on the first place, unless of course you are leaving for money and your old place is willing to double your salary :)
This!
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11338 posts
5532 upvotes
Vaughan
abc123yyz wrote: From all the research out there you should never take a counter offer. Your boss may just need you now until he/she finds a replacement.
DelusionalDiva wrote: This!
Double this.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
2157 posts
3003 upvotes
I feel like a number of people are giving kneejerk-rejection here when it comes to counter offer without trying to understand the intent and the differences within any given scenarios, and I'm sure we can all agree when it comes to a complicated situation, the answers is always "It depends".

Let me break it down for you. Say, your boss is a terrible employer, no wage increase, treat you poorly, in those situations, the chance if you want to say "No" to any counter offer

But what if your boss has always been awesome, in fact, a major reason why you even got a better job because he was willing to give you a referral? I'm guessing this is not the situation here, but there are still many situations where it will come to a "Yes".

OP post really lack detail. All it said is "I got a job, hand in my notice, and boss say he will do anything to keep me". Why not negotiates and see what it gets?

The point is, though, you have to have all the information in writing. Just a "Stay and I will make it worth your while" is not enough. Have actual offer letter, states what your term will be, how long you will be expected to stay (Hopefully indefinitely) and whether any job duties changes, review promises, all of it in writing. IF your boss really is willing to do all of that, and if the workplace really isn't bad (At least, not worse than your new job) Maybe think about it? Having more options is almost never a bad thing.

Even in the scenario where you don't take the counteroffer, having a counter offer in writing is still a good thing. You can use that as your ammo in your new job, you can bring it up a year down the line during your review, say "My old job was willing to do anything to get me back, what are you going to do when it comes my wage increase?" is almost never a terrible move.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6738 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
aubgray1 wrote: happened to me a couple of times. i never entertain the counter offer. If i've made up my mind to leave, gone through interviews, and landed another offer then done deal as far as i'm concerned. it always makes me laugh when it takes leaving to get something from your current job. if they valued you at all you would be having these conversations way before you thought of leaving and putting yourself on the market.
Exactly. I've worked places where senior people would openly admit to you that if you want to get promoted, the only sure way to get through the bureaucracy is to threaten to quit.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
I just want to add that there's always an exception.
In my industry, which is highly competitive, especially at the senior level (we're being head hunted all the time), we have a policy in place to retain talent.
While our overall compensation (salary, stock options, bonuses, benefits) is very competitive, there are other reasons for people looking and we will do our best to try and accommodate.

Obviously this does not apply to every person and position and if anyone receives a counter offer, you know it's serious and they mean business.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13103 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: But what if your boss has always been awesome, in fact, a major reason why you even got a better job because he was willing to give you a referral? I'm guessing this is not the situation here, but there are still many situations where it will come to a "Yes".
I would assume people who actually got interviewed and accepted another offer has already put all these into consideration and already asked for what he/she needs from employer and didn't get his/her demand met.

A counter offer doesn't bold well for either party once competing offer has been accepted.

In the case of poaching, if employee is in good relation with employer, they should bring it up before accepting the competing offer if they want to stay and employer is reliable/trustworthy.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2087 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
Would not take a counter offer, but would like to know what the counter offer is for future reference.
Jul 14, 2018
5 posts
5 upvotes
Don't do it. Your old company might offer anything right now out of desperation but once the dust settles I'd fear for your future at that company. They now know you are searching to get out, they might start to feel resentful of the cash they threw your way, your name might move up the "lay off" list since they will probably question your loyalty going forward since they know you will probably jump ship anyway. And what if your current boss moves on / gets fired and the new person says no way is this person worth this and you get shown the door? I think too risky - there is a reason you applied for shiny new job, so take it.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
Veendam wrote: Don't do it. Your old company might offer anything right now out of desperation but once the dust settles I'd fear for your future at that company. They now know you are searching to get out, they might start to feel resentful of the cash they threw your way, your name might move up the "lay off" list since they will probably question your loyalty going forward since they know you will probably jump ship anyway. And what if your current boss moves on / gets fired and the new person says no way is this person worth this and you get shown the door? I think too risky - there is a reason you applied for shiny new job, so take it.
I have heard this thought process a LOT, but I vehemently disagree with it. To be 100% transparent, I have given retention bonuses to folks who have asked me to give them a counter offer in the right way, but I only offer them to my top performers. I understand that business is business, and nothing is personal. I have been laid off, and have laid people off, so I get that in today's environment that loyalty and such really is not expected, both from the employer and the employee.

That said, I will only give a counter offer to those I want to keep, so most certainly they are NOT on the top of my layoff list if it comes down to that. I equate all of my employees almost the same when it comes to loyalty which is that "everyone has a price". I know I sure do, so it would be hypocritical to expect my directs to behave differently.

To summarize: If you don't get a counter you're probably higher on the layoff list then if you did. So you might as well ask, and if you don't get one, be glad you're on the way out ;)
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
I "quit" 6 years ago, gave my notice, it was noon on a Friday, the my manger went to the ceo to try to keep me, asked me what it would take to stay. I asked for 10k increase in salary, extra weeks holiday, and pension matched at 5% instead of 3%, I gave them till 1pm to think about it. at 12:45 they offered me 5000, extra week holiday and the matching at 5%. I turned them down, at 12:59 they agreed to the full 10k, still at the company today. I work in IT.

I was at 50k, 3 weeks holidays, and 3% pension before the offer. the other company was offering me 58,000 and similar holidays.

Im now the IT manager at my company.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
abc123yyz wrote: From all the research out there you should never take a counter offer. Your boss may just need you now until he/she finds a replacement.
+1, counter offers are a bad idea 99.9% of the time.
- casual gastronomist -
Sep 27, 2003
941 posts
336 upvotes
Earth
rocking23nf wrote: I "quit" 6 years ago, gave my notice, it was noon on a Friday, the my manger went to the ceo to try to keep me, asked me what it would take to stay. I asked for 10k increase in salary, extra weeks holiday, and pension matched at 5% instead of 3%, I gave them till 1pm to think about it. at 12:45 they offered me 5000, extra week holiday and the matching at 5%. I turned them down, at 12:59 they agreed to the full 10k, still at the company today. I work in IT.

I was at 50k, 3 weeks holidays, and 3% pension before the offer. the other company was offering me 58,000 and similar holidays.

Im now the IT manager at my company.
Thanks for the example, all the people who just read an article and states it’s a bad idea with no examples... yeah
Sep 11, 2012
164 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I end up being polite reject the counter offer. My boss was super nice and supportive so I give them extra week notice.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)