Automotive

Would you trust Original manufacturer parts?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2019 7:30 am
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes

Would you trust Original manufacturer parts?

I found it weird that vw original manufacture parts being made in china. I know that vw do have plants in china but are these below standard? Would you use original parts made in china for your car?
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
cristianosham wrote: I found it weird that vw original manufacture parts being made in china. I know that vw do have plants in china but are these below standard? Would you use original parts made in china for your car?

The infamous relay that controls the AC clutch and intermittently fails "on" in many Honda vehicles was "made in the USA".
The better quality part that actually fixes the problem is "made in Vietnam"

Feb 8, 2010
626 posts
574 upvotes
I agree with l69norm. Car parts made in China is better than made in USA.

Look at Ford/GM cars in China, they are better built than here.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
billy_z wrote: I agree with l69norm. Car parts made in China is better than made in USA.

Look at Ford/GM cars in China, they are better built than here.
I was always given the impression that anything made in china was low quality garbage. I remember when japan had the tsunami many years back honda sent out made in china fit models to satisfy the demand. After a few years owners of these made in china fit vehicles had rust issues and many more. Okay so these made in china parts rfd's consensus is they are good. Whew, thought was going to have premature failures or something.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8801 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: I was always given the impression that anything made in china was low quality garbage. I remember when japan had the tsunami many years back honda sent out made in china fit models to satisfy the demand. After a few years owners of these made in china fit vehicles had rust issues and many more. Okay so these made in china parts rfd's consensus is they are good. Whew, thought was going to have premature failures or something.
You know China is a big place right? There are 5x or more Chinese factory workers than there are Canadians...

China is way ahead of pretty much everyone else when I comes to manufacturing, and quality can range from Dollarama products, all the way to iPhone.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
cristianosham wrote: I found it weird that vw original manufacture parts being made in china. I know that vw do have plants in china but are these below standard? Would you use original parts made in china for your car?
Parts are made all over the world. If made to OEM spec, then the part should be as good as the one originally on the car.
There are many aftermarket parts made to satisfy the aftermarket sellers that may not have the stringent specifications the OEM has demanded and hence, a lesser quality part.
Bottom line is I would trust OEM parts over aftermarket.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Apr 5th, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
cristianosham wrote: I was always given the impression that anything made in china was low quality garbage. I remember when japan had the tsunami many years back honda sent out made in china fit models to satisfy the demand. After a few years owners of these made in china fit vehicles had rust issues and many more. Okay so these made in china parts rfd's consensus is they are good. Whew, thought was going to have premature failures or something.
You realize that Korean cars developed a horrible reputation in Canada mainly due to the first car Hyundai imported here?

The Hyundai Pony was a terrible little car that literally rusted away on your driveway, but it was a new car that sold for 1/2 the price of any other new car. These days, a Genesis sedan that is likely made by the same people will give most luxury cars a run for the money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Pony

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/ ... ndai-pony/

Another really good example is the Boeing 737 Max. Some are actually assembled in China. The problem is definitely “made in USA”
Last edited by l69norm on Apr 5th, 2019 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3135 posts
1308 upvotes
Source??
Mar 28, 2017
616 posts
495 upvotes
VW are shit cars anyways, so I don't see anything wrong with using made in china parts.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19737 posts
28628 upvotes
Vancouver
cristianosham wrote: I was always given the impression that anything made in china was low quality garbage.
Not true at all.
Of course. Chinese factories are just as capable as building a high-quality product according to manufacturer specs as factories in Germany or Sweden are. But because China is associated with high-volume, low-quality, low-priced, mass-produced junk—which China can do better than anyone else—people tend to not realize this.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2013
1432 posts
414 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Never use white box no name products that some mechanic s use!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
Where were you made in, OP? Are your parts more reliable?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1983 posts
794 upvotes
Kitchener
hows your cell phone working? pretty sure it was made in China, regardless of the brand.
Dec 22, 2018
206 posts
84 upvotes
Markham
peelhic wrote: hows your cell phone working? pretty sure it was made in China, regardless of the brand.
Vietnam.Ever heard of Lewis turning point?
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Price is what drives quality - don't expect to get the same quality part when you tell the factory to build you the part for $10 vs. $20
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
why would anybody get OEM parts? Aftermarkets are cheaper and by far better quality!

you ever go back to the dealership to get OEM tires?

BTW ... there is NO such thing as OEM motor oil, OEM transmission fluid, OEM windshield washer fluid, OEM brake fluid, OEM tires, OEM wipers, OEM light bulbs, OEM filters, OEM spark plugs ... it's all the same crap! Auto manufacturers stamp those things with their own part numbers and logos and have high prices to CON dumb idiots that buy from them.

A made in china cabin air filter bought off of eBay is much cheaper than the ones sold at walmart ... buy one at walmart and you can buy 3 on ebay ... same stuff! you get three times the length of usage.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
AV-Fishing wrote: why would anybody get OEM parts? Aftermarkets are cheaper and by far better quality!

you ever go back to the dealership to get OEM tires?

BTW ... there is NO such thing as OEM motor oil, OEM transmission fluid, OEM windshield washer fluid, OEM brake fluid, OEM tires, OEM wipers, OEM light bulbs, OEM filters, OEM spark plugs ... it's all the same crap! Auto manufacturers stamp those things with their own part numbers and logos and have high prices to CON dumb idiots that buy from them.

A made in china cabin air filter bought off of eBay is much cheaper than the ones sold at walmart ... buy one at walmart and you can buy 3 on ebay ... same stuff! you get three times the length of usage.
OEM's don't make tires either.
You are quite wrong. Many manufacturers sell and build parts to car manufacturers but, the parts they sell to them have to meet specifications set out by the vehicle manufacturer.
Parts makers have a number of different "brands" and levels of quality of the same product so they can sell to the price point of the particular buyer (wholesaler) of that product. For instance, an alternator for a vehicle manufacturer may require a winding of X wire thickness and XXX windings and 2X testing whereas Canadian Tire may require lesser guage and far fewer winding and no testing. One will have the OEM part number on it and the other will have Canadian Tire part number and state it is compatible with the OEM. Both will work, one will work longer but the other will cost a lot less.
Bottom line, I do not believe you are correct. OEM and aftermarket are not the same and not equivalent.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Ladies and gentlemen, generalizations about country of manufacture are always wrong. The answer is always "depends".

No one can say "Products made in X country can never be trusted" or "Products manufactured in Y country are always the best".

Also, generalizations like "aftermarket parts are better than OEM". Nope!

It depends! Quality is not black or white, but an infinite range of grays.

OP, you go to the dealers to get OEM. As long as they install OEM parts, you are good. The car is getting parts of consistent quality (the level of performance that the car came with, from the factory).

Real problem (different issue, but let me mention it here, cause is related): Car dealer installs aftermarket parts --- without telling the owner, passing them for OEM parts.

I think I am in that situation, got a Mazda dealer to install rotors, but these parts seem to be the cheapest aftermarket type.
7737 posts
10771 upvotes
Richmond Hill
peelhic wrote: hows your cell phone working? pretty sure it was made in China, regardless of the brand.
Not OP, but my Samsung S9 is made in Korea :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)