Hot Deals

[WOW Air] From $240 Roundtrip Nonstop – Toronto or Montreal to Reykjavik, Iceland

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 2:38 pm
Aug 31, 2017
198 posts
48 upvotes
Thanks for posting. If the price difference with a regular airline (not knocking WOW, but not too keen on no frills) is like $100 bucks, then I'd probably just stick with that. .
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7617 posts
2953 upvotes
East York
I went for a Reykjavik trip, and i'd recommend spending a bit extra to see at least one city in Europe also and just do an Iceland stopover instead. not really that much to see in only Iceland tbh
[OP]
Jan 14, 2009
141 posts
233 upvotes
For anyone still on the fence about this because of the extra fees, etc - these flights are now pricing at $36 cheaper out of Toronto at $224:

SOURCE: http://travelcheapie.com/2017/10/09/tha ... k-iceland/
EDIT #3 @ 2:00 PM ET on Monday, Oct 16: This is absolutely NUTS. WOW Air has just posted a promo code for an additional 20% for travel dates from January 15 – March 15. This makes these flights price out at just $224 CAD roundtrip with taxes! Go to our Sample Dates section below and then directly to en.wowair.ca and enter the promo code WOWBOOK and the dates you selected.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
ManCaveGamer wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 3:04 pm
I went for a Reykjavik trip, and i'd recommend spending a bit extra to see at least one city in Europe also and just do an Iceland stopover instead. not really that much to see in only Iceland tbh
If you're into the great outdoors, there is tons to see and do in Iceland. If you're more into shopping, museums, and urban exploring, then yeah, there isn't that much to appeal.
Nov 29, 2011
224 posts
187 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
StealthFinder wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 9:19 pm
Want to go around 25th November for a week. Wonder what the weather is like and where to stay? Is it expensive over there?
iceland's weather is pretty moderate -- doesn't get extremely cold in the winter, or extremely hot in the summer. i spent over 2 weeks there last year. if you're ok with hostels, they are very good. if you have a few people with you, then i'd say rent an RV and drive around the country. do NOT drink alcohol while you're there, because the taxes are very very high -- i think the average pint of beer cost us $10-15. if you really want to drink, buy it at the Duty Free on the way back home -- Brennivin is a great icelandic liquor. do a lot of grocery shopping at Bonus to save money on food :)
Jan 5, 2014
135 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
If I could add any advice to this thread, I would say DO NOT SPEED. My wife and I are in Iceland right now as a last minute trip, and we are currently staying in a guesthouse near Jokulsarlon. Just a few hours ago near Jokulsarlon, we were pulled over by police for speeding. It is well documented how few police there are, so we got really unlucky! They flashed us, pulled into our lane from oncoming lane, and asked me to step into their little popo van. The female officer had already written up a ticket for going 118 in a 90 zone. The fine was 37500 ISK, or about $425! I thought she added a zero! Apparently there was the option of paying when you got home but I believe they changed that rule a few years back. I paid on the spot. I definitely didn't want to bother with a police station affair.

On another note, there are plenty of speed cameras. They are marked by a sign with an old-school theater camera-looking thing but the warning is In Icelandic. It is also documented that some people get a ticket in the mail later (whom a lot of folks don't pay), or worse, have the fees directly charged by their rental company. If I get a ticket on top of the stoppage, I'll be pretty sad.

Moral of the story is as follows: while it goes without saying don't speed, really make a concerted effort not to speed here!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7617 posts
2953 upvotes
East York
$425?! wtf... i'd fight that

Iceland is an very expensive place, i won't go back there since it's not a place for deals guys
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10016 posts
945 upvotes
Markham
WgnDrgn wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 3:51 pm
If I could add any advice to this thread, I would say DO NOT SPEED. My wife and I are in Iceland right now as a last minute trip, and we are currently staying in a guesthouse near Jokulsarlon. Just a few hours ago near Jokulsarlon, we were pulled over by police for speeding. It is well documented how few police there are, so we got really unlucky! They flashed us, pulled into our lane from oncoming lane, and asked me to step into their little popo van. The female officer had already written up a ticket for going 118 in a 90 zone. The fine was 37500 ISK, or about $425! I thought she added a zero! Apparently there was the option of paying when you got home but I believe they changed that rule a few years back. I paid on the spot. I definitely didn't want to bother with a police station affair.

On another note, there are plenty of speed cameras. They are marked by a sign with an old-school theater camera-looking thing but the warning is In Icelandic. It is also documented that some people get a ticket in the mail later (whom a lot of folks don't pay), or worse, have the fees directly charged by their rental company. If I get a ticket on top of the stoppage, I'll be pretty sad.

Moral of the story is as follows: while it goes without saying don't speed, really make a concerted effort not to speed here!
Definitely watch out if you go to any of the tunnels on the east coast and to the north of Reykjavik there are lots of cameras.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1886 posts
216 upvotes
Iceland is very expensive accommodation and food wise, but a lot of the attractions are free and the flights are relatively cheap compared to Europe or Asia. It's an amazing nature destination, and there is soooo much to do with respect to that. There's not much in the way of architecture and city things though.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5408 posts
286 upvotes
TO
Takada wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 12:55 pm
Iceland is very expensive accommodation and food wise, but a lot of the attractions are free and the flights are relatively cheap compared to Europe or Asia. It's an amazing nature destination, and there is soooo much to do with respect to that. There's not much in the way of architecture and city things though.
I assume you've been there? We want to go but do you think a car rental is a must there? Is there any ride sharing like Uber that exists? We'd probably go just to the main city and explore their local attractions. Thanks
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
RIP Marriott Visa card :(
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
10016 posts
945 upvotes
Markham
TorontoEh wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 1:53 pm
I assume you've been there? We want to go but do you think a car rental is a must there? Is there any ride sharing like Uber that exists? We'd probably go just to the main city and explore their local attractions. Thanks
If you stay in Reykjavik you'll be missing out on the majority of the things to see. You could do bus tours, but then you end up spending a lot of time on the bus going back and forth to places daily and you have to stick to their schedule. Car rental is the way to go.
Dec 2, 2009
245 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto
WgnDrgn wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 3:51 pm

So if you didn't have $425 on you, what are they going to do? Throw you in jail? I highly doubt it. Too much time and paperwork to throw in tourist in jail.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1886 posts
216 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote:
Yup. I went several years ago. Car rental is absolutely a must unless you really don't like nature type stuff, but I think the best part of Iceland is its nature. You can see glaciers, craters, beautiful waterfalls, a black sand beach, and geysers in Iceland. I don't think there are many other places comparable to Iceland in terms of the variety of nature you can see in such a small area. Not sure about ride sharing but you have to drive around the country via the ring road to see what it has to offer so I don't think you're going to be able to do that cheaply with ridesharing. Honestly, the capital itself was probably the least impressive part of the trip. The food is mediocre, everything is super expensive and there's not that much to see.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
TorontoEh wrote:
It's a very lightly populated island, with attractions spread out all over the island. We're talking about an entire country with just the population of Markham. There is a bus network, but service is very sporadic. It is much, much easier to rent your own wheels and travel the island at your own pace. Without your own vehicle, you are realistically restricted to just the attractions in the southwestern region of the country, and even then, you would have to backtrack to Reykjavik at the end of every day.

There are no Uber-like services in Iceland, and taxis are very expensive. By restricting yourself to just the capital and its environs, you are truly missing out on what the country has to offer. As beautiful as the Golden Circle attractions are, they pale in comparison to the rest of the country.
Aug 25, 2015
874 posts
188 upvotes
Montreal, QC
redflags10 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:07 am
When is the best time of year to go where there will be daylight and you can actually move around and see things, and see the northern lights?
i know people who went in july, august and september. it seems the best time is around mid-august to mid-september. plenty of lights, lots to see, not cold so light coat and northern lights

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)