Hot Deals

[WOW Air] From $240 Roundtrip Nonstop – Toronto or Montreal to Reykjavik, Iceland

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 2:38 pm
Jan 5, 2014
135 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
The crappy thing is with conversion and FU fees, it ended up being $472!

I believe if you don't have it or an appropriate credit card on you, you would go to the nearest police station. Where the local police station near the iceberg lagoon is, I have no idea, but I didn't feel like finding out lol .
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
1550 posts
662 upvotes
Parksville, BC
Planning on a spring trip to Britain with a stop over in Iceland. I found after adding all the extras that I'll need, IcelandAir can do $850 return from YVR. That's YVR-KEF + 4 days KEF-GLA + 4 weeks GLA-KEF + 1 day KEF-YVR. WOW charges $60 just to reserve your seat and carryon is extra.

PS Looking to self-drive the "Golden Circle" route. Any pointers/tips?
Apr 13, 2007
722 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Check road.is everyday and get a 4x4 SUV.

Use bluecarrentals to avoid iceland car rental scams
[self promotion removed]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
If anybody is thinking of going to Iceland in June-July 2018, you could be in for a real treat, as the country has qualified for the World Cup for the first time. Their national team has made huge strides in the last few years, racing up the ranks, which is remarkable for a nordic country with a population the size of Markham. You could join half the country in their Viking chant!

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2500 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:44 pm
If anybody is thinking of going to Iceland in June-July 2018, you could be in for a real treat, as the country has qualified for the World Cup for the first time. Their national team has made huge strides in the last few years, racing up the ranks, which is remarkable for a nordic country with a population the size of Markham. You could join half the country in their Viking chant!

Hmm, guess that's my backup plan since Italy failed yesterday lol.

How is Iceland for solo travel?

Would it a be wasteful trip this month or December if my intent is landscape photography?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3416 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
this makes me want to go again. Went in June and it was so amazing. I went at a time when there were like 22 hrs of daytime. Want to go to see the northern lights but it might be too late for that now.

Just a reminder to ppl if your CC have car insurance covered then make sure you contact the rental car company before hand to see if they will waive those charges. Some of them will and some of the won't. Usually the car is the same price even if you don't take the insurance they will just write a note on your agreement saying you waived them. I rented a full size SUV auto when i was there. They had a mistake on their website when i booked so for 4 days it was supposed to be $1k rental but i got it for $15cdn. And since the car was over $60kcdn i got insurance with the rental car company.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:45 pm

Would it a be wasteful trip this month or December if my intent is landscape photography?
Excellent for solo travel. There is a great network of hostels, everyone speaks fluent English, and it's very easy to get around with a rental vehicle.

I wouldn't say it would be a waste to go in the winter but there would be some caveats. Much less daylight and possibly harder to get around on your own to the more distant attractions due to weather conditions. The pros would be fewer tourists, plus a much better chance of seeing the Northern Lights.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1659 posts
607 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote:

I met some cool people during my bus trip around the island. The bus stops at the tourist highlights so there's an opportunity to see the sights and to get to know fellow travellers. A bunch of us regrouped in Reykjavik and hung out until we went our separate ways home.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2500 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:

Bunyak wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:26 pm
I met some cool people during my bus trip around the island. The bus stops at the tourist highlights so there's an opportunity to see the sights and to get to know fellow travellers. A bunch of us regrouped in Reykjavik and hung out until we went our separate ways home.
When did you go?

Wondering what your budget was roughly?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1659 posts
607 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:33 pm
When did you go?

Thanks
I went more than ten years ago - before the financial crisis. Prices are probably different now but budget accommodation cost roughly $35/night as I remember. Grocery food was a bit more expensive than in Canada.
Apr 13, 2007
722 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:33 pm
When did you go?

Thanks
Just got back last week. Accommodations were about $100 a night between AirBNB, Hostels, Guesthouses and Hotels. This time of the year is the cheapest to go and best chance to see the Northern Lights.

My cost for 11 days was approximately $3000 (with 1 excusion for ice caves)
[self promotion removed]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3416 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
Ya Iceland is not cheap. looking at around $100/night from Airbnb. food and gas is expensive as well. i went for 4 days and the cost was close to $1k...good thing i got a deal on the rental car
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Mar 21, 2008
824 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
russia is better and cheaper and size of russia is 2x times bigger than canada