Off Topic

WOW! It's been 11 years. 9-11 Anniversary Today. Where were you?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2012 10:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1580 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
It was my first week at Humber College. I was in the gym running on a treadmill, when someone came in and told everyone to turn it to CNN. I was watching while running not really understanding what I was seeing, then the second plane hit... I remember turning to some random dude running beside me and was like "What are we watching? Is this real?" There were a tonne of people in the gym watching...
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106485 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was sitting at the computer, checking my email before heading to class.

Spent the afternoon trying to call a couple of buddies who worked in lower Manhattan. They were safe, but kinda stunned.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
1708 posts
742 upvotes
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 9:08 pm
It was my first week at Humber College. I was in the gym running on a treadmill, when someone came in and told everyone to turn it to CNN. I was watching while running not really understanding what I was seeing, then the second plane hit... I remember turning to some random dude running beside me and was like "What are we watching? Is this real?" There were a tonne of people in the gym watching...
Yes. it's as if it wasn't real.
I had worked late the previous night and got up late that morning.
Like Ronin1701, was checking email and a friend wrote all this stuff. I couldn't understand what=the=bleep they were saying
So turned on CNN and WOW! :(
Apr 29, 2010
982 posts
171 upvotes
Ancaster
Adams06 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 1:38 pm
Grade 10 Science class, then we went to the library to watch the live coverage. Although I didn't even know what the WTC was at that time, it was pretty shocking.
I was also in grade 10 science class and the guy sitting next to me was named Adam...... freaky!
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
3078 posts
255 upvotes
In spare when OAC still existed...watched it on the cafeteria TV....
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3092 posts
393 upvotes
We forgot about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We'll forget about the WTC.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
random pattern wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 10:40 pm
It's different, because those 2 didn't happen to "us".

Plus, let's be honest, when the bombs were dropped that ended ww2, almost all Canadians and obviously Americans would have been over joyed with the prospect of the war ending! Patriotism existed then. 9/11 didn't end any wars for anyone. It made life a lot crappier for is in n america, and a whole lot worse for those countries believed to be harboring the terrorists. Lose-lose.
Its just a very poor analogy. It could just as easily be said that 100 yrs later ppl here still remember the Titanic, and so will similarly remember 9/11.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3361 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto
chinesedevil wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 1:15 pm
In my elementary school class during lunch time when some dude told us the pentagon and twin tower have been blown up lol.
+1

I remember at around 9:05am that day, my class got called down to watch one of the twin towers burn down while having the plane stuck in it. The second tower got hit shortly after...
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2587 posts
407 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
Grade 7 english class @ Fairwind SPS. They rolled in one of those tv sets just so we could see it.
Apr 12, 2012
232 posts
6 upvotes
EAST YORK
I was at home watching tv then. I was really shocked about what happened. I could not believe what I was seeing on the tv. It's been 11 years already.
It's not where you are, it's where you're moving toward that counts. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5018 posts
1319 upvotes
Aurora
random pattern wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 10:40 pm
Why should we forget? And nobody's forgotten about Hiroshima and Nagasaki; if those horrors had been forgotten, there would be a lot more nuclear bombing in this world.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6579 posts
265 upvotes
St. Catharines
Agafaba wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 1:17 pm
Its going to sound a bit disrespectful but dont you think its about time people moved on? 11 years is a long time to grieve, especially for those who didnt know anyone in the towers. Since then many others have died, we have killed countless thousands of civilians ourselves, perhaps its time to put the past behind us and try looking to the future for a change.
You sure are disrepectful people have moved on and rebuilt but 9/11 is memorial to those who died and we should never forget.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20826 posts
10062 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
In 3rd year uni - came back from the gym to see every channel with the same news story. I figured ish was getting real.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6579 posts
265 upvotes
St. Catharines
MPaia wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 3:39 pm
I come from a country that was bombed by the USA/NATO just two years before 9/11 had happened. I have every right to hate America.
No you don't have the right to hate every American. Did every American come out and bomb you? What a bunch racist nonsense you just spewed out.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2003
2623 posts
13 upvotes
woke up from night shift, turned on fan 590, bob mcowan was like ladies and gentleman, there has been a terorist attack, of course half asleep i thought it was a joke, then cnn...