Off Topic

WOW! It's been 11 years. 9-11 Anniversary Today. Where were you?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2012 10:32 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2826 posts
300 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
NoFixedAddress wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 5:33 pm
WOW. to see your mom in despair/sad, that must have made your heart jump. :(
I was standing on the roof of one of the WTC towers a year before, too... I even remember the multiple elevators... but it took me years to realize that it wasn't the Empire State Building (which I didn't go to until much later).
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2826 posts
300 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
NoFixedAddress wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 12:12 am
Idiots posting. why? This thread is for sentimental things that happened to you on 9-11
Just posting this crap shows what type of person you are.
Before we get sentimental about the whole thing, though, we need to ask some questions. Did 9/11 really change us, or was a situation like that going to happen anyways? Of a nation of hundreds of millions, did the loss of around 5,000 lives really have a direct impact on the rest? If the situation was somehow covered up, would people who didn't have anything to do with the WTC or the people working there really care that much if it was uncovered years later?

The aftermath of 9/11 brought out the worst in a lot of people. But somehow it just seems like the lives lost during the incident was merely a way to aggravate the Western nations to fight amongst themselves.

I don't know what's really going on in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, or the rest of the Middle East, but I do know that NA's become a less friendly place due to the resulting paranoia and autocracy. People are scared and less trusting of each other. It's interesting to note the difference between the US and the UK in this way. The 2007 Glasgow Airport attack is a good example, though you've really got to give credit to the Scots.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
loserga wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 12:46 am
Before we get sentimental about the whole thing, though, we need to ask some questions. Did 9/11 really change us, or was a situation like that going to happen anyways? Of a nation of hundreds of millions, did the loss of around 5,000 lives really have a direct impact on the rest? If the situation was somehow covered up, would people who didn't have anything to do with the WTC or the people working there really care that much if it was uncovered years later?

The aftermath of 9/11 brought out the worst in a lot of people. But somehow it just seems like the lives lost during the incident was merely a way to aggravate the Western nations to fight amongst themselves.

I don't know what's really going on in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, or the rest of the Middle East, but I do know that NA's become a less friendly place due to the resulting paranoia and autocracy. People are scared and less trusting of each other. It's interesting to note the difference between the US and the UK in this way. The 2007 Glasgow Airport attack is a good example, though you've really got to give credit to the Scots.
You answered your own question?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2826 posts
300 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
stealth wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 12:55 am
You answered your now question?
Not really. I don't think just hearing of 5,000 deaths alone is enough to scare most people into submission.

Would they be scared of another incident? That's also a comparison I want to make with the British. The British take it, then fight back. The Americans take it, fight back, while all the while restricting their own freedoms and often harbouring unjustified fears about their own.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
261 upvotes
Mississauga
xlc_88 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 12:37 am
I was in middle school in math class.

Here's something neat:

[IMG]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/forget.png[/IMG]
That's pretty silly....Lorena bobbitt has more historical longevity than the Berlin wall?
2046 to remember the Arab spring? I know ppl today who couldn't tell you what it is.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
187 upvotes
loserga wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 12:56 am
Not really. I don't think just hearing of 5,000 deaths alone is enough to scare most people into submission.

Would they be scared of another incident? That's also a comparison I want to make with the British. The British take it, then fight back. The Americans take it, fight back, while all the while restricting their own freedoms and often harbouring unjustified fears about their own.
3000+ deaths in America within hours will do it. 5 million deaths outside of America in a decade, oh well.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Nov 7, 2011
104 posts
12 upvotes
I was just watch TV when that happened.I hope we can let that tragedy go.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2722 posts
353 upvotes
stealth wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 1:03 am
Probably not. Tbh, the timing of going into Iraq after 9/11 confused me as well. Not to say that it shouldn't have been on the us's short list for places to disrupt though, and in some ways Iraq as a nation had more to gain by saddams upheaval than anything in Afghanistan would ever solve, other than dismantling OBLs clan.
Yes, tell that to all the dead Iraqis and their families that they're better off now.
Jesus saves, I spend
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2826 posts
300 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Lazy Susan wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 9:57 am
Yes, tell that to all the dead Iraqis and their families that they're better off now.
Hey, they were just pawns in someone's master plan. Though I doubt Iraq is better off than before Saddam. He would have brutally suppressed any sectarian violence. Look what's happening now.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3026 posts
326 upvotes
stealth wrote:
Sep 11th, 2012 11:03 pm
It's different, because those 2 didn't happen to "us".

Plus, let's be honest, when the bombs were dropped that ended ww2, almost all Canadians and obviously Americans would have been over joyed with the prospect of the war ending! Patriotism existed then. 9/11 didn't end any wars for anyone. It made life a lot crappier for is in n america, and a whole lot worse for those countries believed to be harboring the terrorists. Lose-lose.
Its just a very poor analogy. It could just as easily be said that 100 yrs later ppl here still remember the Titanic, and so will similarly remember 9/11.
What "us" are you talking about that we should be more inclined to remember the three thousand that died on 9/11, rather than the hundreds of thousands that died in Japan?

To your second "point": So, patriotic Canadians should be happy that a state targeted and intentionally killed civilians?! I guess I'm not very patriotic then.

Bombing the WTC was heinous, but the atomic bombing of Japan was more so, both because of the scale and because it was done by a state.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2826 posts
300 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
random pattern wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 10:23 am
What "us" are you talking about that we should be more inclined to remember the three thousand that died on 9/11, rather than the hundreds of thousands that died in Japan?

To your second "point": So, patriotic Canadians should be happy that a state targeted and intentionally killed civilians?! I guess I'm not very patriotic then.

Bombing the WTC was heinous, but the atomic bombing of Japan was more so, both because of the scale and because it was done by a state.
Hey, you want an amphibious assault from Okinawa? Be my guest...

The Chinese would probably have gotten involved, and that would be quite a sight.
Aug 12, 2012
605 posts
29 upvotes
Barrie
I was on my way to work, I heard about the plane hitting the first tower and thought "what kind of an idiot would fly a cessna into a building?!" It didn't even OCCUR to me that it would be a commercial jet, muchless on purpose. I worked for a travel agency at the time so you can imagine what our phones were like that day. It was the busiest few days of the year, and then NOTHING.... no one wanted to fly for months.
Live long & drop dead
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1049 posts
46 upvotes
I was in grade 9 in Geography class when i heard.