Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

Banned
May 24, 2008
647 posts
722 upvotes
jgmaull wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 7:55 am
I have read a lot of the posts in this thread, and just wanted to confirm in case i have missed this. Is it true that Honda canada will NOT recognize ANY warranty of USA cars in Canada, whether it is bought new or Used. I have been looking at a some almost new MDX's for the price, but if there is no warranty, I cannot take the risk. I had been looking at Ford and GM crossovers here in Canada, but if I could get a MDX in usa for a couple of thousand more, the difference is amazing, and it will hold its value so much better. It is time to get rid of my '99 TL - love the car , but need more space with the kiddies.
Yes, it's true that the act of importing the car into Canada voids the factory warranty, unless you can claim that you were domiciled in the US and then moved to Canada.

I think the decision of buying in Canada versus the US depends on one's tolerance for risk. If you think about it, buying in Canada amounts to paying thousands (potentially 7-8 at a guess on an MDX) for a warranty that will cover the potentiality of a problem. Buying in the States, you don't get the warranty but you do save that money which could be used to fix any problems that might arise. You can do an awful lot of work on a car for that kind of money, and Hondas/Acuras are not known for their unreliability so the odds are in your favour.

If you want coverage, there are third party warranty companies you can buy it from. If you go this route, you have to be careful from whom you buy; some warranty companies disappear and take your premiums with them. Unfortunately the most reputable company, Lubrico, will not warranty privately imported vehicles.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1526 posts
50 upvotes
ON
lasallejai wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 10:47 pm

Just fund this:

"Just bought a 2008 Nissan Quest MSRP $26500 incl des. chg for $15,900! This was at Glenn Nissan in Lexington, KY.
The deal is that Nissan has a $3500 rebate going plus $5000 back to dealers who sell over a certain number of cars. Glenn Nissan passed the savings to the customer and sold several units Fri/ Sat. I picked up one today and wanted to alert others to be on the lookout in their area for the same deal.
It really takes all depreciation out of buying a new vehicle where you lose 20% the moment you drive off the lot.
Now if gas goes down, we be a doin' real gud! lol "

That is unbelieveable! I wonder how we can find out deals like this beside checking out dealerships' websites one by one?

that's why post our findings on RFD...

BTW, as printed in bold&red in my original post, I found it in fatwallet and thought it may be useful for many of you who look for a Nissan. Sorry, I can't provide you with further details as I will shop for a car in Sep.-Oct.'09 only.
Sep 13, 2005
96 posts
3 upvotes
Brampton
Has anyone recently bought a BMW from the states? I am looking at a 750I and was wondering what the dealers in Canada will charge for "documents" and mods to meet Canadian specs. Thanks in advance.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1526 posts
50 upvotes
ON
Here is a tip:
go to http://www.motoralley.com/ to find dealer advertised prices in newspapers. In order to see the scanned ads, you need to download DjVu. Try to find some patterns. If you use the info provided in a smart way, you may get a very good deal.

jgmaull wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 9:26 am
Those are some pretty fabulous prices. Did you find any other dealers or other makes with good prices ( 30+% off) in your search or were you specifically looking for a nissan? BTW , how did you find out about this, did you do a internet search or a referral from some sort of website, etc..
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3412 posts
347 upvotes
thegradas wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 10:32 pm
Just fund this:

"Just bought a 2008 Nissan Quest MSRP $26500 incl des. chg for $15,900! This was at Glenn Nissan in Lexington, KY.
The deal is that Nissan has a $3500 rebate going plus $5000 back to dealers who sell over a certain number of cars. Glenn Nissan passed the savings to the customer and sold several units Fri/ Sat. I picked up one today and wanted to alert others to be on the lookout in their area for the same deal.
It really takes all depreciation out of buying a new vehicle where you lose 20% the moment you drive off the lot.
Now if gas goes down, we be a doin' real gud! lol "

LINKY!

That price is insane comparing with the price here in Canada! You could buy 2 of them and still cheaper than buying 1 in Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2096 posts
316 upvotes
Canada
Just recieved this reply from a Toyota Dealer in California, seems odd they would not be able to get the MSO, other Toyota dealers I have spoken with seem to not have a problem with it. Some just say they cant sell to Canadians but some do.

How would you respond to this

""For you to be able to register it in Canada, you will need an MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). This needs to be issued by Toyota. Toyota does not allow us to export cars. Therefore, I would not be able to obtain the MSO, and you would not be able to register it in Canada."
Nov 21, 2006
149 posts
bond007isme wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 11:10 am
Has anyone recently bought a BMW from the states? I am looking at a 750I and was wondering what the dealers in Canada will charge for "documents" and mods to meet Canadian specs. Thanks in advance.
For BMW's, I have been looking into buying a used E46 M3 from the US. However, all imported vehicles have to be serviced by a registered BMW or MINI dealer before you can receive a recall letter.

"See explanations section.
Note 1: BMW Canada informed Transport
Canada that ALL modifications MUST be
performed (and documented) by an authorized
Canadian BMW or MINI Retailer and must be
completed before a recall clearance letter can
be issued by BMW Group Canada.
Please contact an authorized Canadian BMW
or MINI Retailer for information regarding the
exact nature and costs of modifications
required. The modifications vary by model and
may be expensive.
Visit the BMW Canada website at
www.bmw.ca for detailed contact information
regarding retailers in Canada, as well as
information on U.S. vehicle importation."

From the RIV site. You should contact BMW Canada to find out how much they charge to do the DRLs and the cluster swap if needed or if it can be changed by way of the computer. Since the bumper laws have changed the cost should not be so high.
Nov 21, 2006
149 posts
Kamloops wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:05 pm
Just recieved this reply from a Toyota Dealer in California, seems odd they would not be able to get the MSO, other Toyota dealers I have spoken with seem to not have a problem with it. Some just say they cant sell to Canadians but some do.

""For you to be able to register it in Canada, you will need an MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). This needs to be issued by Toyota. Toyota does not allow us to export cars. Therefore, I would not be able to obtain the MSO, and you would not be able to register it in Canada."
I would tell them that they are capitalist pigs and you do not want to buy their car if it was the last piece of metal on earth.

Seriously, tactics like this piss me right off.

I would honestly try another dealer though. Which dealer is this? Dealers closer to the border are saying all sorts of things to Canadians to get them to stop buying in the US.

Someone from work my just brought in a new Camry from a dealer in Jacksonville Florida. I could PM the information of the dealership to you if you would like.
Nov 21, 2006
149 posts
Sorry I just saw your location and that it was a California dealership.
Florida may be a little too far for you! :o
Mar 1, 2002
737 posts
156 upvotes
Kamloops wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:05 pm

I would call them on this and tell them that the Dealers receive the MSOs on ALL new vehicles whether imported or not. This is provided to every dealer because each new Toyota purchased MUST have an MSO prior to Titling and Licensing in the purchasers State. Thus if I was in Montana and decided to purchase from a California dealer, the dealer must provide me with the MSO for me to title and license the vehicle in Montana. The dealer wouldn't tell me to wait 2 days to complete the purchase while Toyota Corp Fedex's the MSO to the Dealer.

What this California dealer is spewing is crap. I obtained my MSO through the dealer no probs. Anyways, you've done enough importing to know it's crap.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2096 posts
316 upvotes
Canada
pulsar wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:36 pm
I would call them on this and tell them that the Dealers receive the MSOs on ALL new vehicles whether imported or not. This is provided to every dealer because each new Toyota purchased MUST have an MSO prior to Titling and Licensing in the purchasers State. Thus if I was in Montana and decided to purchase from a California dealer, the dealer must provide me with the MSO for me to title and license the vehicle in Montana. The dealer wouldn't tell me to wait 2 days to complete the purchase while Toyota Corp Fedex's the MSO to the Dealer.

What this California dealer is spewing is crap. I obtained my MSO through the dealer no probs. Anyways, you've done enough importing to know it's crap.
I recently bought a new Yamaha FZ6, same thing some dealers said they would not be able to sell to me others were no problem , they had the MSO for me when I arrived. Here is the email reply I got.

Dealer is http://www.toyotaofhb.com/

For you to be able to register it in Canada, you will need an MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin). This needs to be issued by Toyota. Toyota does not allow us to export cars. Therefore, I would not be able to obtain the MSO, and you would not be able to register it in Canada.

Any other questions, let me know.

Thank you,
Scott Marino
Fleet/Internet Director
Toyota of Huntington Beach
(714) 500-2020 Direct
(714) 321-6430 Cell
(714) 841-9857 FAX
smarino@mytoyota.net
Jul 17, 2007
98 posts
Toronto
Hi,

Could people successfully imported Lexus please PM me the dealer info? I am in Toronto and like to import new Lexus in these two months. Thanks so much.
Aug 26, 2003
472 posts
19 upvotes
letitbe1973 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 4:22 pm
Hi,

Could people successfully imported Lexus please PM me the dealer info? I am in Toronto and like to import new Lexus in these two months. Thanks so much.
Lexus of Manhattan ....

easiest ever!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4546 posts
3056 upvotes
Montreal
[quote="fiercetiger" post_id="7138742" time="1216754625" user_id="66619"]I would tell them that they are capitalist pigs and you do not want to buy their car if it was the last piece of metal on earth.

Seriously, tactics like this piss me right off.

Yeah, thats a piss off. So is GM, who has essentially slammed the door shut for anyone wishing to import a 2008 Corvette now that the bumper rules no longer apply. One would think, with GM facing massive headwinds, I would say bankruptcy but I doubt it, you'd think they would stop turning buyers, any buyers away.

This from EVS Corvette in Wisconsin after an enquiry.

Thanks Mr. xxxxxxxx...don't be baffled...it's not that we are turning down business....please read my entire response...WE CAN'T do business out of the country on 2008 Corvettes.....I can loose my franchise...GM just had meetings about this.....it is much deeper than you think, but not our call....selling cars at losses now as it is and then risk loosing it all..I can't risk that; in addition...if I don't I also hurt the customer because GM can and has BLOCKED warranties on vehicles that are not sold properly for certain area's.

You need to talk with the big guys in downtown Detroit...we are simply doing as we are told.

Rick"Corvette"Conti
National Corvette Director
EVS Chevrolet~Random Lake
www.corvetteconti.com
1-800-657-0749

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)