Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Always] WOW ---- New and used cars from US up to 30% cheaper - Read post #1

Poll: Are Canadian cars overpriced

• Total votes: 335. You have voted on this poll.
I have no voice, Canadian Dealers/Manufacturers are taking advantage of the Canadian consumer

33%
In most cases, new cars purchased in the US are almost always thousands cheaper

44%
I owe no one a living, competition is good. Thank you NAFTA!

18%
With the exchange rate factored in, Canadian prices are roughly the same

2%
With the exchange rate and financing, Canadian prices are cheaper - Buy Canadian!

2%

Poll ended at Dec 28th, 2006 1:46 pm

May 3, 2008
16 posts
Charlottetown, PE, C…
If it looks 'too good to be true' it usually is.

Matty wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 2:18 am
Did you guys see these prices?! Lease a brand new 2008 Pathfinder for $99/mon?? Rogue $89?! Sentra $69?! Are other US dealers doing this too? That's less than my cell bill.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2001
3609 posts
89 upvotes
Theres a Ford dealer in YEG that does this - its usually for a limited term, like 6 mos and then goes to normal rates.
What the H E double hockey sticks have I done now?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2743 posts
410 upvotes
If you can read the smudgy find print, the deals require $3995 cash down on top of the first payment, and some other $395 or $595 bank fee) - still decent prices though!
Matty wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 2:18 am
Did you guys see these prices?! Lease a brand new 2008 Pathfinder for $99/mon?? Rogue $89?! Sentra $69?! Are other US dealers doing this too? That's less than my cell bill.
Aug 12, 2007
528 posts
3 upvotes
mangoman wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 10:40 am
If you can read the smudgy find print, the deals require $3995 cash down on top of the first payment, and some other $395 or $595 bank fee) - still decent prices though!
Dealers near Philadelphia are notorious for counting down payment,military discount(if you are serving Uncle Sam armed forces),new military college grad discount etc and putting
$10,000 for a "Ferrari" on Highway billboard
May 10, 2008
26 posts
montreal
I am just wondering how the check is done at CT to see if you have an engine immobilizer on the car. Do you need to show them some sort of invoice or document that says the car has one or can they tell right away? For instance the Sienna LE comes with an engine immobilizer as standard.
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
Be prepared with all your documentation to prove that the car comes with a factory installed imobilizer. Don't take any chances.
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7767 posts
199 upvotes
kergoz wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 9:49 pm
I am just wondering how the check is done at CT to see if you have an engine immobilizer on the car. Do you need to show them some sort of invoice or document that says the car has one or can they tell right away? For instance the Sienna LE comes with an engine immobilizer as standard.
normally they will have a tiny clear sticker on the driver side window indicating there is one there....plus, you probably have a warning light that flashes on the dash indicating it has one...but your dealer's info package will also have confimation that it comes standard on it, and that will be enough
Apr 6, 2008
26 posts
Toronto
dynamiteroll wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 1:33 am
Your friend got a killer deal.

I just priced out an 08 Impreza Sport to compare with my imported Impreza Outback Sport and with alittle negotiation on the MSRP, the end price would be pretty simlar. When I bought initially (January), I was ahead by about $5000.

Pretty impressive cashback offer...which makes their MSRP pricing look even more fishy.
He got the deal from Willowdale Subaru. I guess you can negotiate some really good deals if you know the dealer's bottom line (from APA). The thing is if your are close (+/-) to what they would sell, they do not want you to walk out the door and go to their competitors.

I am not good at bargining so next time when I buy a car, I will ask him to negotiate for me. It is good to have someone who is impartial to do the talking. It's all about psychology.
Nov 2, 2007
29 posts
Toronto
kergoz wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 9:49 pm
We have imported 6 new vehicles last week and they were all being inspected by Canadian Tire simultaneously. 5 of them are 2008 Sienna's which come with immobilizer, and the 6th one is a 2008 RAV4 which does not have immobilizer. We originally planned to install the immobilizer for the RAV4, but CT has passed the Federal inspection for all of them. Now it is up to the customer whether she would like to install it or not, although technically it needs to be done.
Jul 17, 2007
98 posts
Toronto
I was trying to do price quote with Lexus of Englewood. I told them I am Canadian. They said they could not export vehicles to Canada. I told them that I've found other Lexus dealers who can. Here is what I received from them:
"I wouldn't tell anyone you found Dealerships that will export , Lexus Corp monitors these emails , they will strip those Dealers of cars ."

Is there something I did wrong?
Sep 17, 2003
702 posts
13 upvotes
letitbe1973 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2008 11:05 am
I was trying to do price quote with Lexus of Englewood. I told them I am Canadian. They said they could not export vehicles to Canada. I told them that I've found other Lexus dealers who can. Here is what I received from them:
"I wouldn't tell anyone you found Dealerships that will export , Lexus Corp monitors these emails , they will strip those Dealers of cars ."

Is there something I did wrong?
Maybe they are hinting that you shouldn't email them and you should talk to them on the phone directly
Oct 14, 2007
109 posts
Pierrefonds, Quebec
:confused: :confused: Recently we have added some posts on this thread hoping to further educate Canadians on buying a Car in the United States. We have indicated that if they go to a certain web site we created they will find more information that will help them make informed buying decisions.

We are giving them options, and we are certainly not trying to get them to stop using this redFlagdeals thread,or compete with this thread.

We are also asking them to sign our petition for fair automobile pricing in Canada. As you all know the Government plays a key roll in why we are paying outlandish prices for automobiles. We will point out again that Canadians are paying over $6 Billion a year more for their automobiles than their cousins in the U.S.

The ideals of most of the people that use this thread and the website that we refer to are the same. Consumer Advocacy! Canadians want fair pricing of automobiles.

We discussed this situation with M. Maggott yesterday,why the MODERATOR of this thread keeps deleting the posts we make. He is befuddled and indicated to us that sometimes the MODERATOR even deletes his posts.

Well Mr. Maggott and our group have the same mission and we are attempting to work together for Canadians.

We are befuddled ,that as a MODERATOR, you could not come out and send us a PM indicating what rules if any, we might have broken.

As a MODERATOR, would it not be fair to come out of the closet? We would like to see a name or a face.

We imagine that the "BOYS" running this website are making quite a few bucks and we do not begrudge you that, but what are you doing to promote fairness in the market and campaign for the individual hard-working consumer.

If you continue to delete legitimate posts ,preventing Canadians from being properly educated on this subject, or giving them options, most of your membership will see through your tactics.

If your rules of engagement prevent people from becoming actively involved and/ or signing petitions then this is not right.

The credibility of this thread is being lowered by your actions Mr MODERATOR.
DO you seriously consider our little web site a threat to your revenues?

Mr. MODERATOR, we would like some answers.

Mr. MODERATOR, Canadians using this thread would like some answers.

I am not sure if I sign this with my name or if I refer to my group or website you will delete this post, so

Ciao, from Scrolllock :)
Standing Up for Consumers / Fair Automobile Pricing For Canadians
Please visit our site, sign our petition advocating Fair Pricing For Canadians, keep up with the latest import news, join our forum and team of members located all across Canada and 123 countries. All for free.
CarsWithoutBorders.com
http://www.carswithoutborders.com/CWBlogowithwords.jpg
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1217 upvotes
Sauga
I was the one that deleted your recent Audi post (and the repost). And Ryan deleted the more blatant promotional post. You're of course welcome to contribute to RFD, but just tone it down with the link dropping... you seem to do it in just about every one of your posts here.

What you can do instead is to add a link to your site in your signature, and then the posts you make should have good useful content instead of just a request to visit your site. It's not a special guideline for you or for this particular thread, but for everyone on the site. If we allowed people to repeatedly promote their own sites, the forum would be inundated with spam.
May 2, 2007
44 posts
I just saw a Toyota dealership commercial on Detroit's ABC station advertising a lifetime warranty with all new Toyotas. Are Toyota dealerships across the US offering this lifetime warranty? Is the warranty valid on cars we export from the US?
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2006
2743 posts
410 upvotes
I think this "lifetime warranty" is probably a limited powertrain warranty and is more than likely only available through the dealership in terms of getting things repaired. Check to see if you can find a website for that dealer and I'm sure there will be more details on it.

Standard factory and extended warranties on Toyotas (not private 3rd party ones which may or may not be transferable) are valid up here.
ryandk wrote:
Jul 24th, 2008 12:59 pm
I just saw a Toyota dealership commercial on Detroit's ABC station advertising a lifetime warranty with all new Toyotas. Are Toyota dealerships across the US offering this lifetime warranty? Is the warranty valid on cars we export from the US?